Voigtlander 35mm Color Skopar II vs Nokton 35mm f/1,4 VM II

Simone_DF

1 hour ago, Popee said:

The ZM 35mm f2.8 C-Biogon is a touch bigger than the Nokton but not a character lenses, it’s just sharp lol.

I think the only new M Mount lens that Zeiss  currently produce with character is the 50mm Sonnar. 

Yes, but the C-Biogon is even more expensive than the Nokton. Price is not really a problem, but it's not what I'm looking for. If I wanted sharpness I'd just go for the Sigma F2 or the SL APO 35. This is something else. (I have the 50 Sonnar, lovely lens btw)

Edited by Simone_DF

On 9/30/2021 at 5:07 AM, Simone_DF said:

I've been looking forward getting a new 35mm and after some research the following two lenses are the most obvious choices:

Voigtlander VM 35mm f/2,5 Color Skopar Pancake II

Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1,4 VM II

Opinion on these two? The price difference is about 200€, so no big deal.

They both have those stupid wings on the aperture selection ring...which prevents me from buying either of them.

1 hour ago, BradS said:

They both have those stupid wings on the aperture selection ring...which prevents me from buying either of them.

Really, Brad? Might I ask why?

The 'wings' have been a feature found on many of Leica's own wide lenses for over six decades(!) - those on the v1 35mm f1.4 Nokton are, in effect, a direct copy of those used on the v1 35mm Summilux from 1960 - and I've never read anyone not liking them in the past. I'm genuinely interested in hearing what is it about them that do you not like.

Philip.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, BradS said:

I have the 35mm f/2.8 Biogon.  This lens is fantastic. It does nothing wrong and everything right. It is small, light and performs extremely well.

Good value too.  Just depends upon whether you want the speed of the Nokton or sacrifice some speed for amazing imagery :)  I had the c-biogon when I shot film on my M2 about ten years ago and loved it.  The f/2 35mm ZM Biogon is also a fantastic lens but not compact at all.

3 hours ago, BradS said:

It doesn't? It sure looks like it does.

The V1 does, as does the 40mm but the version II "wings" are actually solid and have more resistance

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, pippy said:

Really, Brad? Might I ask why?

The 'wings' have been a feature found on many of Leica's own wide lenses for over six decades(!) - those on the v1 35mm f1.4 Nokton are, in effect, a direct copy of those used on the v1 35mm Summilux from 1960 - and I've never read anyone not liking them in the past. I'm genuinely interested in hearing what is it about them that do you not like.

Philip.

Good point. The wings are not the issue but I associate the wings with the issue. The issue is  35mm f/2.5 Color Skopar's tendency to change the aperture setting whenever a breeze blows or a nearby insect sneezes. In my mind, every CV lens that I see with wings is therefore a no-go. Yes, I know...it is a bit irrational.

Like I said earlier, I loved the Color-Skopar except for that one really nasty habit. If the aperture detents had been 'stiffer', my whole Leica journey might have been quite different. As it is, I ended up with a nice set of Zeiss ZM lenses and am very happy.

Edited by BradS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BradS said:

...The wings are not the issue but I associate the wings with the issue. The issue is  35mm f/2.5 Color Skopar's tendency to change the aperture setting whenever a breeze blows or a nearby insect sneezes. In my mind, every CV lens that I see with wings is therefore a no-go.......I loved the Color-Skopar except for that one really nasty habit. If the aperture detents had been 'stiffer', my whole Leica journey might have been quite different...

Thanks very much for the explanation, Brad, and I'm delighted to hear you are very happy with the (superb) Zeiss alternatives.

Out of curiosity having read earlier today about your own experience - and, it has to be said, that of quite a few others - with the 35mm f2.5 C-S and also, latterly, Tessar's comment in post #28 about the Voigt. 35mm f1.4 v2 I have just, in the last 30 mins, been checking and comparing the strength of the aperture-indents of my own 40mm f1.4 Voigt. Nokton with other lenses and the Voigt. actually has more positive click-stops than all but a few of my Leitz lenses - some of which are, admittedly, long-in-the-tooth...

In fact the stiffest aperture ring of all - that which required the most force to change - was that of another Voigtlander; a 28mm f2 Ultron which definitely needs two diametrically-opposed fingers to move it at all.

I know 'things' change over time and lenses can vary from one example to the next but I do wonder if Voigtlander has changed a design requirement or two since I bought my lenses of theirs nigh-on a decade ago? It might partly explain why their aperture-rings these days seem 'looser'?...

Philip.

2 hours ago, pippy said:

..... I do wonder if Voigtlander has changed a design requirement or two since I bought my lenses of theirs nigh-on a decade ago? It might partly explain why their aperture-rings these days seem 'looser'?...

Philip.

It's interesting that you mention this because I have lately been a tiny bit tempted by the new CV 50mm f/1.5 Nokton II.  I like that it is small, well behaved, and not embarrassingly expensive. I was hoping that they had improved the stiffness of the aperture compared to the (also current) Color-Skopar - and it sounds like they may have done.

So, we shall see. I already have three lovely 50mm lenses to choose from...but, I think they could make room for another. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Right. Heavier, bigger and slower lenses that CV 2.5 and 1.4 :) . Oh, overpriced as well. 

I don't think it's overpriced considered that it's half the price of the equivalent Summilux but has also better performance corner to corner wide open and no field curvature. A truly superb lens. I had it for a while but at the time I was not too keen on 35mm lenses and I ended up selling it. That's why I'm getting a new 35mm now. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

I don't think it's overpriced considered that it's half the price of the equivalent Summilux but has also better performance corner to corner wide open and no field curvature. A truly superb lens. I had it for a while but at the time I was not too keen on 35mm lenses and I ended up selling it. That's why I'm getting a new 35mm now. 

I don't think anything changed from last time I checked price on it. It was more expensive used than new CV 35 1.4 II. If you want to compare it to f1.4, same CV made lens. 

If you want to compare it to Leica lens, you must compare it to 35 2.8 Summaron, not Lux. 

2 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

I don't think anything changed from last time I checked price on it. It was more expensive used than new CV 35 1.4 II. If you want to compare it to f1.4, same CV made lens. 

If you want to compare it to Leica lens, you must compare it to 35 2.8 Summaron, not Lux. 

I'm not sure why you want to compare a 1.4 lens to a 2.8? Anyway it trumps both in terms of sharpness, clarity, bokeh, rendering and pretty much everything at any aperture, hands down. If you want even more sharpness than the Distagon, your only options are the two 35mm APOs made by Voigtlander and Leica, but you'll be limited to f/2. 

It is Zeiss' swan song. 

21 hours ago, BradS said:

Good point. The wings are not the issue but I associate the wings with the issue. The issue is  35mm f/2.5 Color Skopar's tendency to change the aperture setting whenever a breeze blows or a nearby insect sneezes. In my mind, every CV lens that I see with wings is therefore a no-go. Yes, I know...it is a bit irrational.

Like I said earlier, I loved the Color-Skopar except for that one really nasty habit. If the aperture detents had been 'stiffer', my whole Leica journey might have been quite different. As it is, I ended up with a nice set of Zeiss ZM lenses and am very happy.

Get an LTM version, nice design with a focus tab.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Thank you everybody, in the end I went for the Nokton, multicoated version. It looks small even when mounted on a SL-M adapter.

Let us know how you like it.  It's not the last word in image quality re. sharpness in the edges and far corners, but I do love mine a lot (SC version)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tessar. said:

Let us know how you like it.  It's not the last word in image quality re. sharpness in the edges and far corners, but I do love mine a lot (SC version)

I was not looking for sharpness. I’d buy the Sigma 35mm for pure sharpness, or the SL Apo 🙂
I was also considering the SC version, but in the end I thought I could compromise for the MC and slap a black pro mist filter for the times I want less contrast or flare

• Like 1