Question regarding Summilux-M 50mm ASPH wide open performance

Bangrossi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After reading many reviews on the internet, many reviewers are concluded that 50 lux asph are tack sharp on the centre of frame even wide open (f/1.4). So, I pulled the triger to buy used 50 lux asph (11891).

After testing the lens on my M10, the lens perform very well from f/2.8 to f/8. But I'm a bit dissapointed wide open performance (f/1.4), I feel the lens a bit hazy and lack of resolution wide open at the centre of the frame. I tought it was RF focusing issue of my camera, but same thing happen even when I focus with magnified live view and using diffrent body (M240 and adapted to eos r). I wonder, is it just a bad copy or I just expecting too much from the lens? I don't have any other 50 lux to compare with mine, but here are the sample photos that I took with the lens. I never expect good edge and corner performance wide open from this lens, I know because this is the nature of the lens.

All pictures straight out of camera (M10) without any post processing. The only thing that I did is resize to web size and 100% center crop. All photos are taken at f/1.4 at various distances, (except the dog photo taken at f/1.7) . What do you guys think? does it perform within spesification or not?

Thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Bangrossi
uploaded additional photo

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Apart from the dog's face being out of focus the performance obviously is not what it should be from a 50 lux ASPH 11891 wide open in the centre. Return the lens.

Thank you for reply. I will try to discuss it with the seller. Hopefully there will be a solution for this. Luckily the lens that I bought was from one of reputable leica dealer in my town.

2 hours ago, evikne said:

I think at least the last two pictures are back focused...

I agree. If you have time before you contact the dealer do some tests to double-check the back-focussing suggestion and, if they are conclusive, take the images in to illustrate the situation.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

The images you posted aren't even up to the non-aspheric's wide open performance. Something is wrong I'm afraid. My copy is absolutely spot on with fine detail resolved centrally wide open and corner performance not substantially worse.

SL + 50mm summilux-M ASPH

F1.4 at various distances

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 3

• Like 3

• Like 3

vor 5 Stunden schrieb lct:

The glow around the white bands of the telegraph pole could have been made by a Summarit 50/1.5 perhaps but not the 50/1.4 asph

I fully agree. That is very atypical for a 50/1.4 asph. I fear that this is a problem that goes beyond mere back or front focusing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 84bravo said:

Something is not right. Sorry if this sounds simple, but have you checked that the rear element is clean?

All clean 👍

no haze, no fungus, coating all pristine condition. Physicaly, the lens itself doesn't looks like has been heavily used.

Or maybe CLA gonna fix the issue?

Edited by Bangrossi
Grammar and spell corrections

15 hours ago, frame-it said:

SL + 50mm summilux-M ASPH

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I never get this kind of sharpness wide open from this lens. That is beautiful photograph and beautiful lens for sure. This is what I call tack sharp

• Thanks 1