Using M240 with external microphone

signandsight

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so forgive me if this topic has been covered elsewhere. I'm in the process of selling my Canon R6 to buy an M240, which I plan to use for still photos and video. I also have a Shure Lenshopper external microphone which I love dearly. The Shure can record audio either by connecting directly to the Canon's audio input port, or through flash memory on the thing itself. I find that recording directly to the SD card on the Canon is much more convenient and about the same audio quality as recording through flash memory on the Lenshopper, which also requires annoying synchronization in Premiere.

My question for you fine individuals, and I'll find this out when the M240 winds its way from a Spanish naval base to my Portland home, is: does the M240 have an audio input port? I think I know it does not as I know there's this Leica stereo adapter thing, and if I understand correctly that would allow for external microphones. HOWEVER, the beauty of the lenshopper is that it fits into the hot shoe.

Can anyone give me some advice on this quandary? Any video shooters on here?

Thanks!

18 hours ago, signandsight said:

It's 1080p and good enough for YouTube and it uses great lenses. Cinema lenses are all manual focus and i'm not going to shoot a lot of action.

I found you the external mic!!  I guess it uses the connector for EVF.

Anyway, my advise is get a new Z6ii or used Z6 (if budget is a concern) + M adapter give you mush less headache.  There are also IBIS and ISO issues using M240 for videos, IMO it's only good for UFO footage - grainy and shaky lol.

This link gives you more to read

Edited by jaeger

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 7:57 PM, signandsight said:

I'm selling my Canon R6. Too heavy for my MS hands. For video it will be on tripod exclusively so that's no big deal. My complaint re the external mic is that it goes in the hot shoe, where the Shure lenshopper goes. The Shure can go on any tripod but i'm not made of tripods.

Use a flash bracket. 

You can get a stick-on or screw-on cold shoe to put next to the hot shoe or even on top of the mic adapter for the Shure. When I used the M 240 for video work I would put the mic on a C-stand near the subject. That way I could run through the questions twice, using two different camera angles, but the audio would be the same since the mic never moved.