Leica Combination Case aka "Amateur" Case (14820)

romualdo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've not been able to find a pic/diagram of this case (14820) appropriately filled with camera gear (some other models of Leica cases show this)

From the description below (original brochure - gives details of what fits into case) I presume the camera body (plus lens up to 50mm & Leicameter) fit into the right quadrant?

Is the slit like space close to the centre for the lens filter (x3) case (see pic) & the small square receptacle at the left front corner for the 50 cron goggles?

What is the space/rectangular area to the rear LHS for - it seems very specific.

Does the double lens combination with a coupling ring stand upright or lie sideways.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I suppose improvisation is the word here or was there a predetermined pattern for items

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In the Leica catalogue from 1964, the 14820 case is described as « Combination Case, for Leica M2 or M3 and 35, 50 and 90mm or 35, 50 and 135mm lenses. Lens coupling ring #98205 included ». And the lens coupling ring « holds two bayonet-mounted Leica lenses back to back for storage in carrying case ». The case above is the early model in olive green leather, the later one was black but i have no experience with it. 
- Is the slit like space close to the centre for the lens filter (x3) case (see pic): Yes.
- the small square receptacle at the left front corner for the 50 cron goggles?: Don't remember sorry. 
- What is the space/rectangular area to the rear LHS for?: Don't remember sorry.
- Does the double lens combination with a coupling ring stand upright: Upright.

8 hours ago, romualdo said:

I've not been able to find a pic/diagram of this case (14820) appropriately filled with camera gear (some other models of Leica cases show this)

From the description below (original brochure - gives details of what fits into case) I presume the camera body (plus lens up to 50mm & Leicameter) fit into the right quadrant?

Is the slit like space close to the centre for the lens filter (x3) case (see pic) & the small square receptacle at the left front corner for the 50 cron goggles?

What is the space/rectangular area to the rear LHS for - it seems very specific.

Does the double lens combination with a coupling ring stand upright or lie sideways.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I suppose improvisation is the word here or was there a predetermined pattern for items

Actually, the rear left hand side is the most part-specific aspect of the case:  It is made to hold the Leica M with mounted Leicameter and attached lens up to 50mm.  The camera sits vertically, with right (wind-on lever) end below, left (rewind lever) end above.

The padded slope on the far left holds the top of plate of the camera and meets the end of the Leicameter where the latter connects to the speed dial of the camera.  Without the Leicameter, the camera does not sit as stably in the case.

It makes sense that the small square receptacle at the left front holds the DR Summicron close focus goggles.

The right hand side of the case is more improvisational, holding the two coupled lenses, presumably padded a bit by film.  

Edited by M9reno
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, M9reno said:

Two follow up questions:

- does the 3x filter holder have its own part name/code, or was it only available with this case?

- is the coupling ring mentioned on the leaflet above as being supplied with the case the grey 14838?

I've not been able to find a separate code # for the lens filter holder/case

I presume the coupling ring is the grey 14838 but I've never seen one of these bags for sale with a coupler included

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I seem to recall that the 98205 lens coupling ring is the same as the later 14838 w/o the red crossbar.

I have had one or two of those sorts of cases in the past but found them not really very practical to use. They may look nice for storing the items they are designed to hold but they don’t have spaces for all the other little things you carry in a camera bag. One I had only seemed to take the camera body if you didn’t have a shoulder strap attached.