Q2 owners. Tape the speaker and microphone holes?

SoCalLeicanator

1 hour ago, earleygallery said:

Presumably there's a microphone or speaker fixed behind those holes so not sure why you'd need to tape them up to stop dust getting in?

Has anyone actually seen what's behind those holes?

On the original Q, it was felt that these were ingress points that allowed dust to get on the sensor.

4 hours ago, SoCalLeicanator said:

Just wondering if as some did with the Q/Q-P, if any Q2 owners are taping up possible dust ingress areas on their cameras.  If so, what tape are we using?
Thanks in advance.

On my Q2, I use tape similar to https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/20008-REG/General_Brand_Gaffer_Cloth_Tape.html

Whether or not it helps with dust protection is an open question, but it certainly makes me feel better. I also put some tape on the metal above the strap lugs and that certainly helps with avoiding the rub marks from the strap.

1 hour ago, ravinj said:

On my Q2, I use tape similar to https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/20008-REG/General_Brand_Gaffer_Cloth_Tape.html

Whether or not it helps with dust protection is an open question, but it certainly makes me feel better. I also put some tape on the metal above the strap lugs and that certainly helps with avoiding the rub marks from the strap.

Be careful with the gaffers tape. The adhesive can dry out and begin to crumble. It can also leave residue where it was stuck to the body. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would  say that dust is more likely to enter within  the focusing  ring than mic holes.....

Gaffers tape - it might leave residual  behind but it would be way less than other tapes, however is not suppose  to be used as a permanent fixture, and I be wary of some  cheap brands