Q2 and SF40 or SF60 pics ?

Also, would like to see images with SF60 and Leica trigger for off-camera flash thru beauty ring or flash mounted on tripod.  The Leica combo(Trigger and Flash) is a big investment and I need some more convincing with images to pull the "trigger".

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Q2M and Leica trigger, SF60 on tripod through white umbrella. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

On 9/28/2021 at 4:25 PM, redrocksjoe said:

If you've got a Q2 and are using either the SF40 or SF60 I'd love to see some of the pics you've been taking with the combo! 

Inspire me to buy a flash :)

-Joe

Leica flash guns are really bad. Especially in TTL mode. 
Not sure if you have to bother. 
I was very disappointed with flimsy SF-40 build quality. 
TTL is unreliable. 
I found that old SF-24D works better : smaller, lighter with a usable auto mode. But it is not fantastic either. 

9 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Leica flash guns are really bad. Especially in TTL mode. 
Not sure if you have to bother. 
I was very disappointed with flimsy SF-40 build quality. 
TTL is unreliable. 
I found that old SF-24D works better : smaller, lighter with a usable auto mode. But it is not fantastic either. 

I don't agree, I use the SF60 and trigger on the Q, QM and SL and TTL works just fine.

Just define fine. 
Compare to Nikon Creative Lighting System, Leica’s on camera TTL is completely dumb. 
It is just so frustrating to use. 
Never reliable, never the same exposure, always over or under exposed. 
It is crazy bad. 

I never used SF-60 with wireless controller. Just ok board : SF-24D, SF-40 and SF-26. The latter is a piece of s%#!~t. Worst thing ever, Leica Store manager just refuse to sell it to me ! Instead just lend it to me for a whole week-end. Guaranteeing me that I would like to return it as soon as possible. Because it is the single worst Leica branded stuff ever. (It’s own word)   
I was very grateful for its candour. For him Leica did not have any clue about how a flash should work in the digital era. They were fine with film though. 

BTW Nikon CLS is absolutely awesome : easy to setup up, always reliable, spot on exposure and totally customisable. A dream to use on and off camera. This is how flash should work ! 

Edited by nicci78

6 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Just define fine. 
Compare to Nikon Creative Lighting System, Leica’s on camera TTL is completely dumb. 
It is just so frustrating to use. 
Never reliable, never the same exposure, always over or under exposed. 
It is crazy bad. 

I never used SF-60 with wireless controller. Just ok board : SF-24D, SF-40 and SF-26. The latter is a piece of s%#!~t. Worst thing ever, Leica Store manager just refuse to sell it to me ! Instead just lend it to me for a whole week-end. Guaranteeing me that I would like to return it as soon as possible. Because it is the single worst Leica branded stuff ever. (It’s own word)   
I was very grateful for its candour. For him Leica did not have any clue about how a flash should work in the digital era. They were fine with film though. 

BTW Nikon CLS is absolutely awesome : easy to setup up, always reliable, spot on exposure and totally customisable. A dream to use on and off camera. This is how flash should work ! 

The Leica system and TTL works "fine" specially when on the move indoors and the room lighting without flash would create blown highlights, using bounce flash on or off the camera I find that very little  compensation is needed to get good exposures, it "just works".

I have Canon D series camera and canon speedlights and I have a lot more choice for control on the camera, Leica dose not have the same degree of adjustment for the SF60 in camera, but Canon is a different system and I use Canon cameras for a different type of photography.

I would recommend the SF60 and trigger for anyone who wants to use flash on the Q, Q2  Q2M and SL, for on the move flash it works "fine", for studio work there is obviously other choices for lighting.

I have not had any problems with reliability.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2021 at 3:49 PM, luetz said:

Also, would like to see images with SF60 and Leica trigger for off-camera flash thru beauty ring or flash mounted on tripod.  The Leica combo(Trigger and Flash) is a big investment and I need some more convincing with images to pull the "trigger".

I finally received my SF60 Flash and the SF C1 Trigger for my Q2.  It took 4 weeks from order placed to delivery.  Unfortunately, availability of Leica accessories on the 

West Coast of Canada is very poor.  FYI I found the "pairing" instructions for the Trigger to the Flash incorrect, where the instructions have you waiting for a "yellow Light" blinking on the SF60 while it is a "Green Light", where the Trigger is correct with a blinking "yellow".  At this point you start to wonder if the pairing actually succeeded until you finally experiment with the camera and the various settings.

I might get a chance to try some images with my new toys....will post soon

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I stopped in the Boston Leica store while on a work trip and now I have an SF40 :). It is much smaller than it looks in the pics online. Perfect size for the Q2. I do however need to learn how use it... But I am excited to give it a try.  This was a mistake, I was wearing gloves and hit the dial to be like +1.5, but I still like it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2021 at 7:09 PM, luetz said:

I might get a chance to try some images with my new toys....will post soon

• Like 2