Leica I (Model A) close focus questions

nf3996

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/28/2021 at 7:51 AM, luigi bertolotti said:

ABout focusing : they indeed provided the external rangefinder (FOFER) in a version that went to 0,5 meters...

Can you show a photo of a rangefinder with 0.5 meter engraving, that is not a cine version?  All the FODIS and FOFER rangefinders I can find are marked 1 meter or 3 feet.  From 1926 Leitz offered the cine version FOKIN with larger dial and engrving down to 0.5 meter or 1.5 feet (unengraved but attainable). Thus Leitz was offering a large dial rangefinder more than 4 years before the release of the large  dial FOFER.  Why the larger dial, easier to use/read, more numbers than the small dial, accuracy in the cine application at the 0.5 capabillity??  With the launch of interchageable lenses, the requirements for rangefinding the 35mm and 135mm lenses many have driven some design changes.  I previously posted a 35mm 3 digit lens with the 0.5 mark. The Nagle rangefinder versions are also large dial and are marked to 0.75 meters. I think Leitz, other than cine sales, focused mainly on a1 meter or 3 foot versions for common production, but also because they just didn't work that well below 1 meter.

From the camera side we clearly have many close focus cameras, likely nearly all of those feet marked. Correct distancing at close focus may have necessitated methods other than rangefinders (tape meassue).  The lens focus tables for fixed lens cameras (IA) show depth of field for the close focus (1.5 feet) setting, and with the No. 3 front close up lens, down to 9 5/8 inches from film to object.

An interesting note in Lager books is the FOPRI, a very rare prism adapter that effectively converts a 1 meter minimum rangefinder into a 0.5 meter rangefinder.It was not marketed, again perhaps suffering from paralax and other issues at close distances.

3 hours ago, alan mcfall said:

Can you show a photo of a rangefinder with 0.5 meter engraving, that is not a cine version?  All the FODIS and FOFER rangefinders I can find are marked 1 meter or 3 feet. ...

...An interesting note in Lager books is the FOPRI, a very rare prism adapter that effectively converts a 1 meter minimum rangefinder into a 0.5 meter rangefinder.It was not marketed, again perhaps suffering from paralax and other issues at close distances.

Sorry... but I have never "gone in depth" about rangefinders... and don't collect pictures of... 🤥, I distincly remember to have seen an item with an apparently standard dial, scaled to 0,5..... don't remembere where and when...   Van Hasbroeck depicts a curios variant of the FOFER with a "Dual scale" : this 2nd scale goes from 1 to 0,5 and is engraved (painted in red) in the inner diameter of the wheel : according to him, this scale had to be used with the FOPRI you quote (but he notes that the relation of this special RF with the 1A close focus can be "weak", being the close focus 1A scaled in feet) ; FOPRI is quoted also here : http://www.wetzlar-historica-italia.it/telemetri.html , but the author does not depict 0,5 mt rangefinders (apart the version for Large Format cameras and the cine versions)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, beoon said:

What we can be almost certain about each of the 4 variations is therefore

1 - non close focus - metre scale (regular 1A production)

2 - close focus - metre scale (very rare, but if we accept the fact Lars has seen these)

3 - non close focus - feet scale (very rare and only ever accounted for in a very small serial number batch or possibly as a "bridge" camera?)

4 - close focus - feet scale (production numbers unknown, for Export only)

What is uncertain about the close focus - feet scale is the Ogilvy connection, this has been quoted in the Colin Glanfield book, but is there factual evidence of this connection

I've found another mention of a possible Ogilvy connection in Filippo Giunta's 'Systematic Approach' book. On page 64 he says: "The close focus Leica I had a near focus distance at1,5 feet and was produced mainly for export (Ogilvy & Co. UK)". He illustrates the close focus version with No 27056.

Alan

• Like 1