Show your Bird shots taken with Sigma 150-600

Ktsa5239

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, Milind said:

Love the Kingfisher image- some of your images seem perfectly sharp like this Kingfisher but the martial eagle less. I am considering this set-up but still not sure. BTW has this setup replaced your canon 400mm f4? 

Thank you, appreciated. The original Martial Eagle image is sharp, the loss of sharpness is probably due to down sizing when uploaded here. You get better res. if you click on the image.

The Sigma is an excellent lens & great value, you wont go wrong. It hasn't replaced my Canon 400mm, the zoom gives me a great deal of flexibility with wildlife, especially for subjects which are closer. I use the 2 lenses side by side, normally the Canon 400mm is mounted on the SL2 & the Sigma on the SL2-S.

Depending on what I'm shooting & the destination, I alternate between the Leica VE 90-280mm L & the Sigma 150-600mm. The Canon's always with me on safaris.

Edited by michali
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, michali said:

Golden Breasted Bunting  (Emberiza flaviventris)  Zuka Game Reserve S Africa  - SL2-S & Sigma 150-600m @ 600mm

(please click on image for better res.)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

👏 Wonderful Michali.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2022 at 6:12 PM, michali said:

Thank you, appreciated. The original Martial Eagle image is sharp, the loss of sharpness is probably due to down sizing when uploaded here. You get better res. if you click on the image.

The Sigma is an excellent lens & great value, you wont go wrong. It hasn't replaced my Canon 400mm, the zoom gives me a great deal of flexibility with wildlife, especially for subjects which are closer. I use the 2 lenses side by side, normally the Canon 400mm is mounted on the SL2 & the Sigma on the SL2-S.

Depending on what I'm shooting & the destination, I alternate between the Leica VE 90-280mm L & the Sigma 150-600mm. The Canon's always with me on safaris.

Thank you for your posts. Your photos are excellent. 

I’m wondering how the image quality of the Sigma 150-600 compares with your Canon 400mm f4. Any thoughts on the performance of these two lenses on the SL2-S, based on your experience, would be highly appreciated. Which one would you recommend if you would have to choose between the two?

Secondly, are you using the Canon EF 400mm F4 DO ISM, or another version of the Canon 400mm?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Thomas Apfel said:

Thank you for your posts. Your photos are excellent. 

I’m wondering how the image quality of the Sigma 150-600 compares with your Canon 400mm f4. Any thoughts on the performance of these two lenses on the SL2-S, based on your experience, would be highly appreciated. Which one would you recommend if you would have to choose between the two?

Secondly, are you using the Canon EF 400mm F4 DO ISM, or another version of the Canon 400mm?

Thank you Thomas, appreciate your comment. I'm using the Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM 

Both lenses are excellent, the Canon is outstanding, the Sigma's very good & versatile, especially for the price. I think that ultimately it depends on your subject matter. I posted the following reply to a similar question form another member a few months ago:

" IMO there's something quite special about the image rendering of the SL2 & Canon 400mm f4 vers.2 combination. I've repeated this often on this Forum, it's probably the best telephoto lens I've ever used; I've owned a few incl. the Leica APO R 280mm f4 & still have the Carl Zeiss 300mm f2.8 Tele APO-Tessar monster. 

As for the Sigma 150-600mm, it's an excellent lens, great value, really versatile, good reach & sharp. At short to medium+ range the Sigma is very good. Where the Canon pulls ahead, as it would against any zoom, is at the much longer subject distances. I've noticed this especially on the SL2, on the SL2-S it's less noticeable. This probably has something to do with the 47MP sensor on the SL2,  it's less forgiving maybe? I tend to use the Sigma on the SL2-S & the Canon on the SL2."

You can see 2 images taken with both the Canon & the Sigma here:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, michali said:

Thank you Thomas, appreciate your comment. I'm using the Canon EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM 

Both lenses are excellent, the Canon is outstanding, the Sigma's very good & versatile, especially for the price. I think that ultimately it depends on your subject matter. I posted the following reply to a similar question form another member a few months ago:

" IMO there's something quite special about the image rendering of the SL2 & Canon 400mm f4 vers.2 combination. I've repeated this often on this Forum, it's probably the best telephoto lens I've ever used; I've owned a few incl. the Leica APO R 280mm f4 & still have the Carl Zeiss 300mm f2.8 Tele APO-Tessar monster. 

As for the Sigma 150-600mm, it's an excellent lens, great value, really versatile, good reach & sharp. At short to medium+ range the Sigma is very good. Where the Canon pulls ahead, as it would against any zoom, is at the much longer subject distances. I've noticed this especially on the SL2, on the SL2-S it's less noticeable. This probably has something to do with the 47MP sensor on the SL2,  it's less forgiving maybe? I tend to use the Sigma on the SL2-S & the Canon on the SL2."

You can see 2 images taken with both the Canon & the Sigma here:

Michali, what adapter so you use for the Canon?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2022 at 2:03 AM, Pixeleater said:

Michali, have you seen any AF lag using the MC-21 with the Canon 400? 

AF is not lighting fast but perfectly acceptable. The lens doesn't hunt for focus and locks on to the subject accurately.

Tawny Owl, standing guard for his mate and her eggs,who is sitting deeper in the nest,  and enjoying the morning sun at the same time.

• Like 9

Long-Eared Owl

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

On 11/30/2021 at 2:26 PM, michali said:

First morning on safari at Zuka Game Reserve SA with the Sigma 150-600mm & SL2-S @ 368mm

Sub-adult Martial Eagle (Polemaetus bellicosus) one of the largest & most powerful of the African Eagles. Given the loss of their habitat outside of protected areas, it's extremely encouraging to encounter young Eagles in the wild.

(please click on image for better res.)

17 minutes ago, Coral Palm said:

@michali--that eagle and the owl pic are really nice, well done. Thanks for costing me $ 😅as those two pics are good enough to convince me to buy the Sigma 150mm-600mm. I do love the Leica 90mm-280mm but with birds especially sometimes need that extra range that the Sigma would give.

Thanks & apologies for causing you the expense...💸💸💸  you won't regret it.

The Sigma's excellent & yes, the extra reach is very often needed with birds. Make sure to use the Electronic Shutter when shooting outdoors, there's an element of shutter slap/shock with the Mechanical Shutter which is amplified with long lenses resulting in unsharp images. No such issue with the Electronic Shutter.

Looking forward to seeing some of your images with the Sigma.

Best

Mike

SL 601 w Sigma @ 600mm and 574mm. (Slight crops)

Not bird shots, but examples at maximum focal length

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the wonderful images on this thread, they helped convince me to buy the 150-600. I've really enjoyed using it so far.

I made these images at the Botanical Gardens in Melbourne. There is a willie wagtail, purple swamp hen, Indian mynah, bell miner and a young black swan.

All the best,

Ian

• Like 5

SL2 with 150-600 + 1,4 Extender

• Like 2