Show your Bird shots taken with Sigma 150-600

Ktsa5239

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For the Snowbirds shot I used the SL2 Mechanical shutter, IBIS and lens IS setting "sport."  The quoted dive speed for the plane is about 217 meters per second,  so at the 1/2000 second exposure the plane moves over 10 cm.  I am not sure how much of that motion I took out with panning with the planes.  

SL2 with Sigma 150-600 DG DN at 600mm, ISO 1.600, f6.3, 1/800sec, AF Profile Wildlife and AF-C

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Grey Heron, Brittany, France.

SL2 + APS-c + Sigma @ 600mm + AF-S + spot + electronic shutter

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Kestrel in flight, Brittany, France.

SL2 + APS-c + zoom Sigma @ 600mm + iAF + body detection + electronic shutter

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Capnord said:

Excellent shot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

SL2 Sima 150-600 Turkey

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Capnord said:

Body detection on wildlife! I should try that. In a plain background such as sky / waters it should have no problem. With a vegetation background should be worth a try, too.

SL2's AFC has been proved by many of us with pics that it works well enough for us to work on BIF.

My encounter on the real limitation on BIF happens with ISO limitation when high shutter speed is required to capture fast motion in the presence of good light.

My shot below with ISO 6400 settings in the absence of a strong morning sun produced only marginal clarity with much noise when image is enlarged. AFC, Medium drive, Zone focus, 1/1250 sec, f6.3 @ 600mm.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

Body detection on wildlife! I should try that. In a plain background such as sky / waters it should have no problem. With a vegetation background should be worth a try, too.

Yes, I'm trying that. My first tests are pretty good, but must confirm in more situations and backgrounds.

We have to test maximum combinaisons and share our results. I think SL2's AF is not so bad, we just have to learn how to use it well (even changing our habits).

Edited by Capnord
  • Like 4

Rio Grand Turkeys SL2 hand held Sigma 150-600mm @ 600mm f/9 1/1600

On my iPad you can see nice detail of the downy under feathers. Pretty happy with this lens. 

• Like 1

Stonechat (female) take off, Brittany, France.

Same settings.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Capnord said:

Stonechat (female) take off, Brittany, France.

Same settings.

Very nice. It is always more tricky to shoot small birds in motion. I looks like your settings paid off well. Was this image cropped off with more vegitation in background? If so then the face/body detect indeed works well.

On 10/24/2021 at 7:38 AM, sillbeers15 said:

SL2's AFC has been proved by many of us with pics that it works well enough for us to work on BIF.

My encounter on the real limitation on BIF happens with ISO limitation when high shutter speed is required to capture fast motion in the presence of good light.

My shot below with ISO 6400 settings in the absence of a strong morning sun produced only marginal clarity with much noise when image is enlarged. AFC, Medium drive, Zone focus, 1/1250 sec, f6.3 @ 600mm.

Did you try to get rid of the noise with one of the new AI tools ? I wonder how good or bad the results would be in such a case.

Edited by caissa

4 hours ago, caissa said:

Did you try to get rid of the noise with one of the new AI tools ? I wonder how good or bad the results would be in such a case.

No. I have yet the chance to try it. I'm trying to drop my shutter speed further to keep the ISO lower.

Maybe it would be easier/less effort to use the software. They tell wonders about denoise AI. And you can get a test copy for free.

But it is maybe only marketing, but marketing looks good. But if it works as promised it would make life/birding  a lot easier and allow even higher ISO’s.   ( https://www.topazlabs.com/denoise-ai )

Edited by caissa
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2021 at 12:52 AM, caissa said:

Maybe it would be easier/less effort to use the software. They tell wonders about denoise AI. And you can get a test copy for free.

But it is maybe only marketing, but marketing looks good. But if it works as promised it would make life/birding  a lot easier and allow even higher ISO’s.   ( https://www.topazlabs.com/denoise-ai )

Thanks caissa. The pics below has been noise reduced by 'denies-ai'. It works well in soeme cases but can create strange reconstructions and colour cast in others.

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2021 at 6:52 PM, caissa said:

3 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

Thanks caissa. The pics below has been noise reduced by 'denies-ai'. It works well in soeme cases but can create strange reconstructions and colour cast in others.

I agree, in many instances it creates strange artefacts.  I use Topaz AI Denoise very sparingly, mainly for de-noising purposes & only slightly for sharpening if required. I find the earlier versions of Topaz AI De-noise were less harsh than the current versions & I've told them so.

My workflow involves minimum use of the de-noise function in Topaz,  and then slight sharpening in Apple's Preview -I find the sharpening function in Apple Preview much gentler.

Edited by michali
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

It works well in some cases but can create strange reconstructions and colour cast in others.

That is what the masking function is for. Only sharpen the parts that you want to be sharpened and don''t touch the rest. And don''t leave the sliders on Auto all the time, it does do a pretty good job, but not always. Use the quad comparison view.

I use it as my standard sharpening tool.

• Like 2