Show your Bird shots taken with Sigma 150-600

Ktsa5239

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I thought maybe we should start a new thread to collect bird shots with just the Sigma 150-600mm 

I feel like it’s such a game changer to get a lens of such long reach with this level of sharpness. It might help other birding enthusiasts decide whether they would get this lens.

here is a white face heron

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ktsa5239
  • Like 8

Ktsa5239,

Very nicely done, great shots indeed. I'm a BIF photographer that had to purchase Sony gear to get the longer telephoto reach. Use the A9ii & A7r4 with 100-400 and 200-600 lenses. They are incredibly sharp. But I missed using my SL2 and getting the Leica colors. With the SL2 I've been limited to the Lumix Pro 70-200mm f4 which is also very sharp on the SL2, perhaps one of the best Lumix lenses to use with the Leica gear. Using it with the 1.4x extender also retains the sharpness very well.  I tried the Tamron 100-400 but was disappointed in the softness on the long end. After all, when you purchase a telephoto lens, most likely you will always be using it on the long end, so sharpness on shorter FLs does't matter that much.  In the past I used the first issue Sigma Sport 150-600mm with my Nikon gear and that was also a very sharp lens, but oh so heavy to carry around.

So now that Sigma has cone out with this new lens for the L mount, it interests me.  I'll wait and see what other reviews come up on it from real life photographers, not just those who test lenses for reviews. It's nice that other manufacturers like Sigma and Panasonic are filling in the gaps Leica seems to have left behind.

Thanks for starting this thread, looking forward to some other contributions to it.

Robert

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Robert E said:

Ktsa5239,

Very nicely done, great shots indeed. I'm a BIF photographer that had to purchase Sony gear to get the longer telephoto reach. Use the A9ii & A7r4 with 100-400 and 200-600 lenses. They are incredibly sharp. But I missed using my SL2 and getting the Leica colors. With the SL2 I've been limited to the Lumix Pro 70-200mm f4 which is also very sharp on the SL2, perhaps one of the best Lumix lenses to use with the Leica gear. Using it with the 1.4x extender also retains the sharpness very well.  I tried the Tamron 100-400 but was disappointed in the softness on the long end. After all, when you purchase a telephoto lens, most likely you will always be using it on the long end, so sharpness on shorter FLs does't matter that much.  In the past I used the first issue Sigma Sport 150-600mm with my Nikon gear and that was also a very sharp lens, but oh so heavy to carry around.

So now that Sigma has cone out with this new lens for the L mount, it interests me.  I'll wait and see what other reviews come up on it from real life photographers, not just those who test lenses for reviews. It's nice that other manufacturers like Sigma and Panasonic are filling in the gaps Leica seems to have left behind.

Thanks for starting this thread, looking forward to some other contributions to it.

Robert

To be honest, I’ve never used any other brands so I don’t actually know how much easier it is to shoot with other cameras. But I’m slowly learning to work with what I have and make the most out of the tracking. Here is today’s attempt on shooting moving birds.

• Like 13

Took a shot of these ducks as well. Looks so peaceful!

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Adding another one this collection 

Edited by Ktsa5239
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Here is a duck walking on water :p so funny to watch in person

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ktsa5239 said:

Here is a duck walking on water :p so funny to watch in person

No duck, but a black coot. Look at the feet.  https://www.audubon.org/news/better-know-bird-american-coot-and-its-wonderfully-weird-feet

Edited by caissa
  • Like 2

Grey Heron, Brittany, France.

• Like 11

Little Egret fishing, Brittany, France.

Edited by Capnord
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Fang said:

Anyone with shots of birds in flight ??

I got an Ibis flying the other day

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Ktsa5239 said:

I got an Ibis flying the other day

Nice. What is your shutter speed? Mechanical or electronic shutter?

It was 600mm and 1/3200 and 1600iso wide open. I’ve only been using electronic shutter on this lens

got this shot as well but it was very heavily cropped because it’s super far away. I’m getting the hang of it, now it’s just a matter of getting the right moment with the right pose

Edited by Ktsa5239
  • Like 6

After using the Sigma 150-600mm with the V3.0 firmware uploaded onto my SL2 for few weeks.I found the continuous focus tracking of the v3.0 firmware to work well on both the SL90-280mm & Sigma 150-600mm with the varied experience of more strugle in acheiving continuous focus tracking lock-on success rate on the Sigma 150-600mm. Even after successful continuous focus tracking lock-on, the success rate for a clear and sharp pics from the Sigma 150-600mm lens is lower comparing to the SL90-280mm.

I have been trying to shoot a BIF shot of the White Bellied Sea Eagle fishing for several attempts over the past weeks but was just having not sufficient luck. Instead it continue to hover higher altitude with priority on nest building. Mechanical shutter 1/3200sec, AFS, AF Tracking mode, medium drive, ISO 640, F6.3, APSC format & handheld.

• Like 3

A sequential shot revealing more details.... Click on pics for better resolution

• Like 1