28mm L-Mount prime in the near future?

Melissen-Ghost

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello folks,

I want to get a prime lens for my SL-2s with a moderate aperture value of at least f2.

Since Sigmas Art and Leicas primes are gigantic, I would rather prefer a smaller in exchange for a not so good aperture value (f2.8 or f2 would be enough).

The only option I see now is the Sigma 28-70 Contemporary which should be as good as a prime lens, at least in the wider spectrum.
I just dont want to by it yet, since I dont know if there will be some 28mm primes in the near future.
I haven't heard of anything in the Internet, but Im curious to know if there are some folks around here who have maybe some kind of insider knowledge, whether there will be some 28mm primes in the near future.

Thank you for any information.

Greetings,
Daniel

vor 3 Stunden schrieb tom0511:

What about a manual focus M-Mount lens? Leica or Voigtländer?

Ups, I should have mentioned... it should be a snappy AF lens :).

With Leica for me it is also a factor how the camera looks in the end. I want to have as much as possible a typical classic SLR look. Small lens but with a big diameter. The Sigma contemporary line is just perfect for that.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Simone_DF:

Or maybe you could get the newly released Sigma 24 F2 and crop. 

The new Sigma is compact, nothing like the old Art series

Thx for the suggestion but the field of view between 24 and 28 is just to big for me. I dont want to buy the 24mm and then learn, that half a year later a small 28mm will be released.

vor 34 Minuten schrieb Jeff S:

You mean other than the SL 28 Summicron, which is available?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1624252-REG/leica_11183_apo_summicron_sl_28mm_f_2_asph.html

Jeff

Thank you, but no... this is just too big and expensive for what I had in mind.

vor 22 Minuten schrieb Jeff S:

As an alternative, there is also a clean used Q (or Q2), which comes with a free 28 Summilux.

Jeff

2700€ (here in Germany) for a used Q in good condition is bit much for my taste just to get a compact 28mm lens (I dont need the extra stop of f1.7).
I had to save a lot of money to get the SL2-S, so a prime for about 1400€ max would be the thing Im looking for.

I almost wanted to write in my original post, that one could think Leica is paying all the L-Mount lens manufacturers for not releasing any 28mm lenses, just so that every SL user is forced to get a Q sooner or later :P...just kidding.

Edited by Melissen-Ghost

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Boojay:

Doesn't seem to be any future plans that I have found, I had thought that Panasonic may have had plans for a 28mm 1.8 but they have gone 24mm too.

How about the Sigma 35mm f/2 and take a step backwards🙂.

Unfortunately I already have the lens (and it is great ;)).... but whenever I needed to take a step backwards with 35mm there was a wall behind me. Otherwise the 35mm is my everyday lens. Small with beautiful rendition :).

Just now, Melissen-Ghost said:

Unfortunately I already have the lens (and it is great ;)).... but whenever I needed to take a step backwards with 35mm there was a wall behind me. Otherwise the 35mm is my everyday lens. Small with beautiful rendition :).

Good to hear, I have been thinking about trying it myself but use m mount lenses for 24/28/35 on SL2.  

Definitely room for a 28mm from Sigma or Panasonic, no ignoring that wall or cliff 🙂.

One can always hope for future lenses, but I really wonder why you bought into the SL system if the lenses you want/need are not available?

You expect the lens to be small, fast, have AF, great IQ and all that for an affordable price. These are high expectations. Maybe you have to make a compromise in one of those factors or you might have to wait and hope.

The list of all your requirements is not possible, so it seems you will need to compromise somewhere. Perhaps there will be a 28mm compact lens at some point, but there has not been one announced. It seems like the most reasonable plan for you is to get the 24mm f2 Sigma that was just announced, since you already have the 35mm and like it. The gap between 28mm and either 35 or 24 is pretty small. I think you will find that 24mm is a very versatile focal length. It is the last focal length that still tends to look natural, before things go superwide. At the same time, it is wide enough to feel noticeably different and wider than 35mm. Since it is trivial to crop in a bit on 24mp, this really seems like the best option. The Sigma lenses are comparatively cheap and popular, so even if you have to sell it later you will not likely have to swallow much of a loss. I could also recommend the 24mm 3.5 if you want an even more compact and inexpensive, though still extremely good lens. Btw, the 28-70mm will not be as good as a prime lens in the wide end. At least not as good as an L mount prime...

Am 27.9.2021 um 19:35 schrieb tom0511:

One can always hope for future lenses, but I really wonder why you bought into the SL system if the lenses you want/need are not available?

You expect the lens to be small, fast, have AF, great IQ and all that for an affordable price. These are high expectations. Maybe you have to make a compromise in one of those factors or you might have to wait and hope.

I think one compromise I have to accept, but that is the reason why I started this thread. If there is nothing in the near future than I maybe have to accept the compromise. Im thinking about the Sigma 24mm f2.

"You expect the lens to be small, fast, have AF, great IQ and all that for an affordable price." <- The Sigma i-Series checks all those boxes, so those lenses exist, but still no 28mm though.

I also was thinking about getting a Leica Q as a secondary camera (but financially it would be tough). A question in that regard: there is a lot of talk about, that the 28mm on the Leica Q is in reality a 24mm/25mm even with the lens correction activated. Is that true? Here is a video that shows a good comparison between several 28mm and 24mm lenses. Even with the small shift on the tripod due to different form factors of the different cameras. It looks to me, that the Q is in fact even corrected much more of a 24/25mm. If this is true, than there would be absolutely no reason to get the Q, when there is already a 24mm Sigma for the SL.

What do you guys think about the video? Is there something to it, or is this guy just making a big mistake in his test I just can't see?

Edited by Melissen-Ghost

Lenses are more complicated than the single numbers that dictate their focal length, which in general are just estimates. Most "50mm" lenses are 52mm lenses. Leica M lenses have small text engravings on the barrel to show their true focal lengths. Often it varies slightly in manufacturing. In most scenarios, it is more important for the lens to be better optically than exactly a given focal length. Those numbers tend to be for convenience so that customers mostly know what to expect.

In the review above, the first issue is that focal length is calculated at infinity, not close distance. By that point it can be quite different. The focal length number is not an angle of view per se, it is the distance from the sensor plane to the nodal point of the lens at infinity. They explain it better than I can here: https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/thread2411.htm

I also found it interesting that he accused more professional reviewers of not working hard enough when it appears he just bought the camera and took some pictures of a water bottle on his desk. Give me a break! Perhaps, instead of not noticing a "totally terrible EVF in sunlight", they did not find it to be a problem? That does not seem to be an option for him...only that they are either incompetent or corrupt. Normally I am pretty blasé about the amateurish videos on youtube, but how this guy throws people under the bus who are working way harder than him is pretty distasteful. Getting a review camera sent to you does not by definition mean you are a shill.

I think you are putting too much emphasis on factors which are not super important to photography. Given Leica's history of selling rangefinder cameras that have framelines around the viewfinder, I think it is most likely that they designed the Q to feel like a rangefinder, which would mean that the image in the VF would have to be a bit wider to match up with what it is like to use a 28mm on an M camera (where the VF has a field of view of around 24-25mm and the widest lens you can use without an accessory VF is a 28mm). Since cropping in digital is trivial, they probably gave you that extra bit of room. That said, I do not have the Q, so I cannot test to see how wide it is at infinity, but it may well be closer to those other lenses he tested against.

In general, I think it would probably help you to focus on what you actually want to achieve photographically. Do you want a reasonably priced, wide and fast native L mount lens that is not too big or not too expensive? Then you should get the 24mm f2 Sigma. Do you need to achieve exactly 28mm so that you can match between several different cameras for some reason unknown? Then you are probably best off getting a variofocal zoom lens where you can tune the exact field of view in camera before you take the picture.

The SL 28 is probably the top lens. The Otus is even brighter, but has no AF. But both are far too expensive and big for most users.

I found a much better lens for me. Voigtlaender has updated their Ultron 28mm f2 in M mount. It is now aspherical and called Ultron II. It is much improved and tiny. And very affordable. You can chose between three variants (silver, black and with a round knob).

Fred Miranda has tested it on M10R and a7Riv. Of course it was much better on the M10R. Maybe not very far from the SL28 on SL2 and much much smaller and ...  And it can also easily be used on the SL2.

Voigtlaender is in the meantime so good, that Leica will get problems in the future. For me, I enjoy this lens more than my older Elmarit M 28.

Edited by caissa