Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, in the next days I will receive my CL, I would use the lenses shared with my M8, should It be better to remove the IR filter from the lens before use or on CL or no colour cast are noticeable also keeping the same filters? I think these filters cut the same waive-lenght of the standard sensore filter of the CL, so no added effect, thank you

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use them as much as I like for any other camera and see no discernible negative effect. On the M9 and I suspect the M10 they are mandatory in very high IR conditions. You might ask the guys at the Miami store how it can be that those filters were a standard product with B+W long before the M8 existed. 

Finally got around to testing this, using a 35mm Summilux pre asph. Green is where I noticed the main difference with with filter or not on the M8, so I did I quick photo of what is left in our graden late in the season. Definitely a difference with the M8, a slight one with the CL but hardly noticeable. I did not change the exposures with either camera. So it looks like it wouldn't be a problem to use the IR/UV filter onthe CL. I used a B+W IR UV filter (486).

On 10/5/2021 at 7:02 PM, tommonego@gmail.com said:

Finally got around to testing this, using a 35mm Summilux pre asph. Green is where I noticed the main difference with with filter or not on the M8, so I did I quick photo of what is left in our graden late in the season. Definitely a difference with the M8, a slight one with the CL but hardly noticeable. I did not change the exposures with either camera. So it looks like it wouldn't be a problem to use the IR/UV filter onthe CL. I used a B+W IR UV filter (486).

Thank you so much for this test, also interesting to see the M8 pictures appear sharper, perhaps the 24 megapixels of the CL deliver a too High frequency for a vintage lens, also causing halo effect? Also I am using '80 lenses and I have the same impression

Because of the crop factor you have a different magnification,thus a different perceived sharpness. One of the reasons why APS-C lenses must be higher specified than full-frame ones, and full-frame higher than medium format, etc. 

Yes. come to think of it, the M8 has APS-H which is not that much larger than APS-C. It is probably the CCD sensor with the ultra thin filter. The colour difference in the greens is IR contamination.