Leica 35mm ?

fbonde

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys, 
I have not used 35mm in the past, so relatively new to the 35mm, I used to use 28mm lux very happy with that lens. I just got a 35mm lux FLE (latest version) and am not that impressed; wide open, the images don't look as sharp as my 28 lux and not even close to my 50mm lux and some purple fringing. However, from f2 and inwards, it's exceptionally sharp. Overall it's a fantastic lens, dont get me wrong. Just not as "good" as the other I mentioned. Maybe it's me. 😏 I like the focal length of 35. It feels more useful for me than the 50mm, at least for me.

If any of you guys have the 35mm lux and the 35mm cron, which one do you use the most, and for what? 

Edited by fbonde

Just now, fbonde said:

Hi Guys, 
I have not used 35mm in the past, so relatively new to the 35mm, I used to use 28mm lux very happy with that lens. I just got a 35mm lux FLE (latest version) and am not that impressed; wide open, the images don't look as sharp as my 28 lux and not even close to my 50mm lux. However, from f2 and inwards, it's exceptionally sharp. Overall it's a fantastic lens, dont get me wrong. Just not as "good" as the other I mentioned. Maybe it's me. 😏 I like the focal length of 35. It feels more useful for me than the 50mm, at least for me.

If any of you guys have the 35mm lux and the 35mm cron, which one do you use the most, and for what? 

The 35 Lux should render sharper then de 50 Lux.

• Like 2

I have the chrome 35mm Summicron ASPH which came with my M-P 240 Safari.  I have found that the 35mm is a great all-around lens if you want to go the one lens one camera route.

I would expect the 35 Summilux to be as sharp as the 28mm Summilux or the 50 Summilux at f/1.4 - not sure why your copy is a bit soft at maximum aperture.  That said, it is not out of line for any lens to be sharper at f/2 than it is at f/1.4. 

• Like 2

I own the 35 FLE. Done a quick corner & centre side-by-side sharpness test recently under sunny normal conditions with Apo Lanthar 35/2 and Summilux 35 FLE, both at f/2 and set to infinity. The Voigtlander results blew me away at the corners (centre is very similar). The purple fringing on the 35 FLE is quite heavy, I was surprised as well.
Check if your 35 FLE has similar corners (at f/2) HERE.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

I own the 35 FLE. Done a quick corner & centre side-by-side sharpness test recently under sunny normal conditions with Apo Lanthar 35/2 and Summilux 35 FLE, both at f/2 and set to infinity. The Voigtlander results blew me away at the corners (centre is very similar). The purple fringing on the 35 FLE is quite heavy, I was surprised as well.
Check if your 35 FLE has similar corners (at f/2) HERE.

Thanks for this one, mate. At least, I am not the only one. I mean, at 1.4 lowlight situations on the M10-R I can bump the iso up no worries, and if it is not as sharp at 1.4 it's "okay" - but the purple fringing is really what surprised me. I know it takes 2 min in capture one / Lightroom to remove. I wondered if it was only me. 

Just did a quick test. shot at the same  f1.4 all the other settings is the same. 

Left is the lux 35mm and the right is the lux 50mm 

I'll do some propper shots tm. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Not sure what you are expecting from a 200% crop. You could just see artefacts created by your computer or your screen. You may wish to crop at 100%. Or drop your raw file in a dropbox and we will see if there is any problem actually. 

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, lct said:

Not sure what you are expecting from a 200% crop. You could just see artefacts created by your computer or your screen. You may wish to crop at 100%. Or drop your raw file in a dropbox and we will see if there is any problem actually. 

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will defiantly do that - hopefully, this week, and let you guys know.