Leica SL2 on Sports & Wildlife Photography

sillbeers15

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I personally have been using the Leica SL (type 601) in 2015 and now replaced by Leica SL2 in 2019 shooting wildlife mainly with the Leica SL90-280mm and now added the Sigma 150-600mm chasing after fast moving subjects like BIF. I have enjoyed using the system and using both the AFS & AFC on continuous autofocus yielding good results.

In almost all internet based Leica SL2 camera reviews and coments posed in this forum, I constantly read comments as 'go get a Nikon, Canon & Sony if you want to do continuous AF, Leica is absolute rubbish on such application'. I've just came accross the presentation by Pro sports photographer Rick May who used the SL2 / SL2S with the SL24-90, SL90-280 & Sigma 150-600 showing tons of awesome sports pics to shut mouth of the critics. There is sharing of the continuous AF settings by Rick in the Q&A session. Also the likely release date of Firmware V3 was talked about on the release of the Youtube on 19 Sep 2021. Enjoy watching!

https://youtu.be/MRT2gCZ2HYw

• Thanks 5

I'm also trying to use the new 150600/sigma. Leica's focusing speed is very fast, although it's slower than other brands. It works well when I can predict moving objects, but it is not successful. For most scenes, maybe I need to improve my skills.

4 minutes ago, Syu said:
I'm also trying to use the new 150600/sigma. Leica's focusing speed is very fast, although it's slower than other brands. It works well when I can predict moving objects, but it is not successful. For most scenes, maybe I need to improve my skills.

Try using a dot sight device. It helps a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sillbeers15 said:

I personally have been using the Leica SL (type 601) in 2015 and now replaced by Leica SL2 in 2019 shooting wildlife mainly with the Leica SL90-280mm and now added the Sigma 150-600mm chasing after fast moving subjects like BIF. I have enjoyed using the system and using both the AFS & AFC on continuous autofocus yielding good results.

In almost all internet based Leica SL2 camera reviews and coments posed in this forum, I constantly read comments as 'go get a Nikon, Canon & Sony if you want to do continuous AF, Leica is absolute rubbish on such application'. I've just came accross the presentation by Pro sports photographer Rick May who used the SL2 / SL2S with the SL24-90, SL90-280 & Sigma 150-600 showing tons of awesome sports pics to shut mouth of the critics. There is sharing of the continuous AF settings by Rick in the Q&A session. Also the likely release date of Firmware V3 was talked about on the release of the Youtube on 19 Sep 2021. Enjoy watching!

https://youtu.be/MRT2gCZ2HYw

Which just proves that long lenses require skills that the average reviewers lack. 

• Like 7

I had the SL and never thought much of its sports/wildlife photography capabilities.

I am heading off to Tanzania in Jan 2022 and picked up the Sony Alpha 1 with the 70-200 and 200-600 G lenses. The tracking and animal and bird specific eye detection is very accurate and the shutter speed and buffer are smoking fast. The raw files are 50mb which means you can severely crop the image and still have amazing clarity.  The A1 build and form factor is really nice too. And with a prime it’s very compact which I like for street photography.  I would strongly recommend checking out both cameras if you are thinking of sports and wildlife photography.  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, ajmarton1 said:

I had the SL and never thought much of its sports/wildlife photography capabilities.

I am heading off to Tanzania in Jan 2022 and picked up the Sony Alpha 1 with the 70-200 and 200-600 G lenses. The tracking and animal and bird specific eye detection is very accurate and the shutter speed and buffer are smoking fast. The raw files are 50mb which means you can severely crop the image and still have amazing clarity.  The A1 build and form factor is really nice too. And with a prime it’s very compact which I like for street photography.  I would strongly recommend checking out both cameras if you are thinking of sports and wildlife photography.  

I have no doubts that Sony A bodies have better AF capabilities than SL bodies. My point is the SL bodies are indeed able to provide decent Wildlife and Sports application. More importantly the user skills and ability to optimize the gear is a greater factor than just the capabilities of the camera gear alone.

To me I'm not satasified with just documenting a picture. The color, image quality are equally important. The green color produced by Sony sensors are just dreadfully 'plastic' which I had a hard time altering in post processing. That is why I do not bother considering those Sony bodies. By the way my daughter is currently leaning photography with A7RIII.

If only I am satasified with the IQ from Sony, I would have saved lots on Sony G lenses over Leica glasses. It is just my preference.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

+1 And practice.

This is preaching to the choir. It doesn't matter what kind of gear your using. If a lion bursts out of the brush chasing a bush pig, and you haven't gained the skills from repeated practice, you're gonna miss the opportunity. I've used Leica sport optics for years, and people who have never used or owned Leica will say brand X is better. Most people just parrot what they've heard from their favorite YouTube "influencer".

• Like 1

I just wanted to point out that in the video the experience is the biggest skill to have. He mentioned that he shoots often in single shot and AFs. think at that boys and girls..

I was a Ballet photographer for an opera house for many hears, I had to cover performances every day and the cameras used where Leica R4 with many lenses and t-Max 400 and Kodak color neg at 1600 asa.

I was often challenging shooting in low stage light, but experience and practice made it possible to get the needed shots. Like in any subject you need to anticipate, know you subject and be timely in pressing the shutter.

Sony Canon and Nikon have made it so easy,  back then the Leica R lenses where widely superior then anything on the 35mm market.

I still shoot with the same attention to detail, trying to anticipate the moment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alexander SH said:

I use the SL2 for sport and wildlife with Leica 90-280 and Sigma 150-600. I think its awesome and I really love the simplicity of the SL2. Switched from the Nikon D4 and D850 wiith no regretion. It tracks the object well, but maybe not as easy as the A7 or R5. Eager to see if its any tracking improvement with the new firmware. But practice makes perfect. And i really like the Leica style in my pictures. So for me the SL is doing just perfect for sport and wildlife. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Great shot! 

If I may expand further on the breakdown on Success Factors in achieving successful wildlife & Sports photography depends on the list below:

No. Success Factor                                         Remarks                                                                                                                                                               Contribution

1     Having the right tools                               The suitable camera with capable AF and the appropriate lens & auxiliary equipment                          20%

2     Suitable ambient condition                      The avail & quality of light source (sun / indoor lighting) & position of the photographer                     20%

3     Background research / understanding   Knowledge on the subject with respect to frequency / timing / position / route prior to shoot           20%

4     Patience & revisit shoot location             If available                                                                                                                                                            10%

5     Skills to locate & track movement           The ability of the photographer to optimise the camera gear settings & lock focus on subject           30% (or 40% if item 4 is not available)

Just having the industry best in camera gear especially on continuous AF performance & a longest focal length lens warrant the success of Wildlife & Sports Photography is like assuming the fastest car will win the Formula One race. As a matter of fact the plan and strategy of the race with the effectiveness of the driver & entire support team determines the success of the race.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, sillbeers15 said:

If I may expand further on the breakdown on Success Factors in achieving successful wildlife & Sports photography depends on the list below:

No. Success Factor                                         Remarks                                                                                                                                                               Contribution

1     Having the right tools                               The suitable camera with capable AF and the appropriate lens & auxiliary equipment                          20%

2     Suitable ambient condition                      The avail & quality of light source (sun / indoor lighting) & position of the photographer                     20%

3     Background research / understanding   Knowledge on the subject with respect to frequency / timing / position / route prior to shoot           20%

4     Patience & revisit shoot location             If available                                                                                                                                                            10%

5     Skills to locate & track movement           The ability of the photographer to optimise the camera gear settings & lock focus on subject           30% (or 40% if item 4 is not available)

Just having the industry best in camera gear especially on continuous AF performance & a longest focal length lens warrant the success of Wildlife & Sports Photography is like assuming the fastest car will win the Formula One race. As a matter of fact the plan and strategy of the race with the effectiveness of the driver & entire support team determines the success of the race.

To which to add:

6. Good knowledge of animal behaviour. 
7. Bushcraft

Both are needed to approach the wildlife without distressing it. Photographs that depict behaviour and habitat are often better. Behavioral aspects also contribute to the photographer’s safety e.g. recognizing aggression. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Alexander SH said:

I use the SL2 for sport and wildlife with Leica 90-280 and Sigma 150-600. I think its awesome and I really love the simplicity of the SL2. Switched from the Nikon D4 and D850 wiith no regretion. It tracks the object well, but maybe not as easy as the A7 or R5. Eager to see if its any tracking improvement with the new firmware. But practice makes perfect. And i really like the Leica style in my pictures. So for me the SL is doing just perfect for sport and wildlife. 

nice shot..why does it look so  soft & "smeared" around the neck, head and the light grey feathers?

Edited by frame-it

Noise reduction in LR makes it soft. Added two more SL2 pictures.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Interesting video, thank you for sharing, I agree with you. Nowadays we are inundated with YT opinions presented as facts. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I learned a long time ago that if I really want to know how a camera or lens performs I have to test and experience it myself.

The SL system is capable of much more than suggested by many.

90-280, 1600iso, 1/800, used zone.

• Like 1

After using the SL and SL2 since launch, and now SL2-S, and some of the top Nikons for some years (D5, D500, D850 w/300 and 400mm primes, now sold), I would certainly go for Nikon (or similar systems) if fast, reliable AFc in almost all light/shooting conditions are top priority. But I prefer the simplicity and colours from Leica. To such a degree that I hardly miss Nikon. Yes, BIF and wildlife and sports can be done with Leica, but the system is not specifically developed for this purpose. Just look at the long Leica L-lens offering (or the absence thereof). But SLx can be used, by some quite/very succesfully, but there are more matured/tailored systems out there. This is fine; the all-dancing-all-singing image machines are yet to be seen. Based on my personal experience, clearly.

Enjoy shooting! 

Edited by helged
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, helged said:

After using the SL since launch, in between SL2 and now SL2-S, and some of the top Nikons for some years (D5, D500, D850 w/300 and 400mm primes, now sold), I would certainly go for Nikon (or similar systems) if fast, reliable AFc in almost all light/shooting conditions are top priority. But I prefer the simplicity and colours from Leica. To such a degree that I hardly miss Nikon. Yes, BIF and wildlife and sports can be done with Leica, but the system is not specifically developed for this purpose. Just look at the long Leica L-lens offerings. But SLx can be used, by some quite succesfully, but there are clearly more matured/tailored systems out there. Based on my personal experience, clearly. 

Very True.

ive seen very few birds-in-flight pics from the SL series that are actually "sharp", most of them have "acceptable sharpness" and plenty of noise reduction/sharpening applied

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, frame-it said:

Very True.

ive seen very few birds-in-flight pics from the SL series that are actually "sharp", most of them have "acceptable sharpness" and plenty of noise reduction/sharpening applied

The fun is in the challenge as BIF is one of the most challenging aspects of photography. It has got nothing to do with SL series camera in terms of sharpness in pics. erhaps Perhaps you can enlighten us with your 'sharp' BIF pics?

• Thanks 2