New SL (typ 601) firmware 3.8

Donald M

I downloaded and installed the new firmware, but I didn't see any release notes. I would be interested in finding-out as well.

3.7 (released 2020) had L-Log updates to match the SL2's version of L-Log. Perhaps they've applied any small improvements that they've made in the past year.

I am sure that this new version at least has the latest lens firmware updates, since the SL2 and SL2-S firmwares have those.

16 minutes ago, Per P. said:

What, exactly, is L-log color space. And why would I want it?

Log color space is similar to shooting in RAW. You get more latitude with your video. For most of us, this is not really needed. For professionals, it would be considered essential. Each manufacturer has at least one Log color space. 

Typical user, I would never worry with it and you may even have a moment when you see the flatest video ever appear wondering how you are suppose to get that to have color saturation. 😉

Log video formats allow you to cram more dynamic range into an image by compressing shadows and highlights using a mathematical function. They are used in both RAW and processed video (no RAW for the SL/SL2/SL2-S, but almost all RAW formats use log).

All you really need to know is that it's the standard way to shoot video for HDR televisions and for cinema.

Leica has offered L-Log since the first SL came-out, so this is just an improvement to a pre-existing feature.

• Thanks 1

I, too, had the invitation and noticed no changelog on the site. Downloaded and installed; no changes noticed but am curious to know whether it's just L-log (which I'm not really interested in) or whether there are additional fixes or improvements not mentioned in the invitation email.

In any case, I'm very pleased that Leica is still issuing firmware for the Typ601. Mine was brand new a few months ago (it really was brand new stock, not just new to me) and it's nice to know it's not being totally left out :) .

Release Notes link has been sorted: https://us.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=128327&subcategory=128336&type=93705&language=93871

The firmware package also updates lens firmware for SL lenses (35 and 90, at least). Also for selected lens adapters.

Edited by Chuck Albertson

1 hour ago, Chuck Albertson said:

Also for selected lens adapters

There are two official adapters, as far as I know. The M-adapter-L firmware is still at version 1.0, so I didn't update. The S-adapter-L didn't light-up the option, even though the adapter was active (AF working, etc). I also tried it with no lens attached to the adapter, same result. I wonder which selected lens adapters they are referring to. Sigma? Novoflex?

On 9/25/2021 at 4:43 AM, BernardC said:

The M-adapter-L firmware is still at version 1.0, so I didn't update

Agree.  The R-adapter-L is also still at version 1.0, so it also didn't update.  Oh well, at least some (unspecified) bugs were fixed.

BTW @Chuck Albertson thanks for the link to the Firmware Update information.

Edited by AZN

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, hossegor said:

anyone has an alternative link to the latest SL 601  firmware ? the Main link is dead on the Leica page. 

It looks like Leica AG is doing a revamp of their Website. You might wait a few days until it's been re-built - at the moment, the Support page that usually features firmware, etc., only lists the press releases for firmware.

• jaapv locked this topic