Leica SL2 Firmware 3.0 officially released

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Stuart Richardson said:

With respect, Leica invented autofocus before selling the technology to Minolta who first used it in commercial applications. They are a small company but they have a lot of know-how. Much of that is optical rather than software, but they clearly seem to have good people working with their color science. I think it is natural to assume that Panasonic does the heavy lifting in this case, but I assume Leica is responsible for integrating it into their user interface and displays etc.

Yes. Leica certainly did their own GUI (graphic user interface) as it differs greatly from Panasonic and I must say I really like it a lot as a user.

2 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Yup. What is surprising to me, is that it took Leica about 9-12 months to optimize Panasonic's firmware for the SL2s. The S5 was released in September 2020, the SL2s 2.0 update in June 2021. That's 9 months, maybe more if Leica engineers had had access to pre-production firmware a few months before release. 

This makes me wonder about their engineering team. It must be really small.

Re: differences: I didn't see any notable difference between the S5 and the SL2s, maybe the S5 was a hair faster, but hard to tell. Basically in real life use the difference was zero. I came to this conclusion after having both cameras at the same time for 3 weeks. 

To be fair software algorithm isn't the strength of Leica. Based on the timeline you've mentioned, it is highly likely the programmers might be outsourced to Asia while keeping a really small team in Germany. It certainly is not an easy task to hire software engineers in Europe comparing to Asia. In Asia, young minds are abundant and cost to hire is way lower especially in India & China.

1 hour ago, sillbeers15 said:

To be fair software algorithm isn't the strength of Leica. Based on the timeline you've mentioned, it is highly likely the programmers might be outsourced to Asia while keeping a really small team in Germany. It certainly is not an easy task to hire software engineers in Europe comparing to Asia. In Asia, young minds are abundant and cost to hire is way lower especially in India & China.

It's probably a mix. A small core team based in Wetzlar + contractors from India or Asia. 

I'm pretty sure the Fotos app is the same, and we can see the results...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am afraid I am at a loss to help ... last encounter with a SL(2) was years ago ... have only a Q2M at the present and have not kept

current to the extant hardware for the system. Hopefully someone will step up ....

• 2 months later...
On 9/23/2021 at 3:36 PM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

It's the IBIS. The system still runs when *turned off* as it's needed to keep the sensor in place, anyway. The sensor doesn't have a parked system where it can sit when turned off. Without power it'd just bounce around with every tremor.

Gordon

Same with the Q. Turned off it sounds like something broke loose in the camera.