Leica SL2 Firmware 3.0 officially released

LUF Admin

12 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

IBIS?

Good thought. Turned IBIS off.  Still there. It’s soft and continuous whilst camera Pierre off. Only time it varies is when, as I mentioned, I half depressed the shutter release.

Have you listened to yours?

Edited by MarkP

2 minutes ago, MarkP said:

Good thought. Turned IBIS off.  Still there. It’s soft and continuous whilst camera Pierre off. Only time it varies is when, as I mentioned, I half depressed the shutter release.

could be a tiny fan or other cooling system

Edited by frame-it

2 hours ago, Phil A said:

Yes, but AFc is not AF tracking. It is continuous autofocus.

AFC in Leica language in continuous focusing means: Trigger priority and AFS in Leica language in continuous focusing means: Focus priority. 

AF Tracking can be selected with AFS or AFC (ie continuous focusing) so it is AF Tracking and not AFC alone.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 minutes ago, MarkP said:

I only have the SL2-S. Turning off IS and AF, I can hear nothing holding the camera close to my ear. By physically pushing the edge of the body into my ear (not right in, you understand🤪) I can here a very faint low hiss/hum. No change when I half press the shutter button.

Some elements of the AF system are still active, though. Back button focusing still works in MF mode.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Just now, LocalHero1953 said:

I only have the SL2-S. Turning off IS and AF, I can hear nothing holding the camera close to my ear. By physically pushing the edge of the body into my ear (not right in, you understand🤪) I can here a very faint low hiss/hum.

😁

I suspect we’re hearing the same thing. 

4 minutes ago, MarkP said:

😁

I suspect we’re hearing the same thing. 

I edited my post above to add some further comments.

I have also now turned off back button focusing from the joystick, and it makes the same noise.

It may still be a part of the AF system remaining active.

Doesn't worry me though!

Edited by LocalHero1953

1 hour ago, MarkP said:

Could someone else please check this for me?

I was just working through the firmware upgrade with the SL2 whilst sitting in my study which is very quiet.  When I held the camera up to look through the viewfinder I heard a soft continuous noise coming from the camera body, obviously only whilst powered up, but even if the camera is just sitting idle. Easy to hear in a very quiet environment, and quite obvious if I put my ear against the camera.

It is not lens focus or cAF related as AF was off, and it was still present when I mounted an M lens.  It is slightly louder when I half depress the shutter button in PHOTO, but not when i do so in VIDEO setting. I went through all other potential settings and couldn’t identify anything.

Camera function is fine. Upgrade went without a hitch and I’m very happy with the new features.

I don’t recall ever hearing this before the upgrade, but I may just have not heard it. Any ambient noise would drown it out unless my ear is against the camera body.

This may just be normal but does anyone else’s camera do this? If so I can ignore it but I’d be surprised if it’s normal…

It’s the IBIS working. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slender said:

I am sub 30yo... maybe that helps. Anyway, you could also be hearing pre-focus.

I am a lot older. Cannot hear a noise like that. But I am not worried. The “advantage” of advanced age maybe ? The first time I encounter it. 🤔😷

Edited by caissa
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MarkP said:

I'm 59 🙂

Prefocus off.

Same noise with M lens mounted.

Same noise with no lens mounted.

🙄

It's the IBIS. The system still runs when *turned off* as it's needed to keep the sensor in place, anyway. The sensor doesn't have a parked system where it can sit when turned off. Without power it'd just bounce around with every tremor.

Gordon

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1