Summicron M 50mm v5 vs Summicron R 50mm v2 on Panasonic S5?

Archiver

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since getting the S5, I've been eyeing the Summicron R's with a bit of interest, even though I have a number of M lenses from Leica, Zeiss and Voigtlander. I shoot video as well as stills with the S5, and using Minolta MD and MC lenses has given me a lot of appreciation for the much closer minimum focus distance of SLR lenses.

If I already have a Summicron M 50mm v5 that was made in the last 15+ years (which I love for its sharpness and rendering), does it make sense to get a fairly clean Summicron R 50 v2 (Leitz Canada) in the 29xxxx (late 70s) serial range? Will the R version perform better in the edges than the M version? Or are minimum focus distance and length of focus throw the only real differentiators? Not sure if my GAS is justified. I can't test the Summicron R because I don't have an appropriate adapter.

8 hours ago, Archiver said:

Since getting the S5, I've been eyeing the Summicron R's with a bit of interest, even though I have a number of M lenses from Leica, Zeiss and Voigtlander. I shoot video as well as stills with the S5, and using Minolta MD and MC lenses has given me a lot of appreciation for the much closer minimum focus distance of SLR lenses.

If I already have a Summicron M 50mm v5 that was made in the last 15+ years (which I love for its sharpness and rendering), does it make sense to get a fairly clean Summicron R 50 v2 (Leitz Canada) in the 29xxxx (late 70s) serial range? Will the R version perform better in the edges than the M version? Or are minimum focus distance and length of focus throw the only real differentiators? Not sure if my GAS is justified. I can't test the Summicron R because I don't have an appropriate adapter.

With a 50mm or narrower it shouldn’t make much difference. 

• 1 month later...

My start with the S5 was with the Summicron 50mm V5.

• The M-Summicron 50mm is incredible on the S5. No problems in the corners at all.
  • My next test will be with M-Summilux v2 and Canon LTM 'lux'  while the 50mm and 100mm macro from the SLR will have to wait
  • As far as I see, my two Summicrons 35mm  perform very well. Even a 28mm performed good in the corners.

I bought a Sigma 45mm lens. It leaves nothing to wish? [But my Summicron is just 'nicer'. ] But the Sigma is for different work. I hope my wife adopts it.

Edited by Alberti
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2021 at 2:08 AM, Alberti said:

My start with the S5 was with the Summicron 50mm V5.

• The M-Summicron 50mm is incredible on the S5. No problems in the corners at all.
  • My next test will be with M-Summilux v2 and Canon LTM 'lux'  while the 50mm and 100mm macro from the SLR will have to wait
  • As far as I see, my two Summicrons 35mm  perform very well. Even a 28mm performed good in the corners.

I bought a Sigma 45mm lens. It leaves nothing to wish? [But my Summicron is just 'nicer'. ] But the Sigma is for different work. I hope my wife adopts it.

My Summicron M v5 works super well with the S5, although I'm often annoyed by the minimum focus distance. It's excellent for some situations, like shooting sports and midrange portraits, but not others, like shooting details/short range doc work. Still very tempted to get a Summicron R if the price and condition is right, although my Minolta MC Rokkor 50/1.4 is crisp in the centre at f2.