Just how badly do you want a 35mm APO Summicron-M?

egrossman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Schouten has one new in stock for EUR9,000 🙂. Personally, I won't pay a premium and will wait my turn.

https://www.schouten-select.com/index.php/new-arrivals/leica-35mm-f2-apo-summicron-m-box.html

Erik

Edited by egrossman
  • Like 1

• egrossman changed the title to Just how badly do you want a 35mm APO Summicron-M?

I offered them $18k (non retractable offer) for a special edition M kit listed at $25k about six months ago and was declined without any counteroffer or message back, so they must fully expect to get their listed values. 

Must be working I guess..? Seems crazy but I’m all about free market. 

5 hours ago, egrossman said:

Schouten has one new in stock for EUR9,000 🙂. Personally, I won't pay a premium and will wait my turn.

https://www.schouten-select.com/index.php/new-arrivals/leica-35mm-f2-apo-summicron-m-box.html

Erik

$10558.85 USD for a lens that retails for $8200 USD?

In these parts, we call that buggery.  I'll pass.

There is no object on this earth that is worth the violation of the chastity of my southern hemisphere.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herr Barnack said:

$10558.85 USD for a lens that retails for $8200 USD?

In these parts, we call that buggery.  I'll pass.

There is no object on this earth that is worth the violation of the chastity of my southern hemisphere.

The price is ex VAT, for those who are hobbyists.

It is his business model, anticipating that you and I are so greedy that we pay this extra premium.

Nothing wrong with that.

Not in a hurry with that lens, the 35 Summicron iv and the FLE give enough possibilities together. I would like the APO for the close focus, which makes it very usefull as a one lens does it all option for travels where I want a compact set. But heaven can wait. Btw, I can’t see this offer from Schouten as unethical, nobody is forced to step into it. 

Edited by otto.f

2 hours ago, Kreeshp said:

I, for one, will drop off the reserved list if a price hike happens before there's availability.  There's a limit to how much Koolaid Leica can serve me.

They did that to me with the M10. Nasty.

Edited by gotium

2 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

To all that are yearning for this lens - do at least *try* the Voigtlander APO Lanthar 35/2, it is said to be 90-95% on par with 53 APO Summicron. I was super skeptical, but have tried myself. Blown away with this under-1000-euros lens.

Focus shift?

I bought a used camera from Schouten once and got a decent price.  Price was at market but the camera at the time was hard to find.  The camera was just as pristine as he described.  I negotiated a price and he came down about 5%.  I'd buy from him again but it's not the first place I'd look for something commonly found.  

Annoying as it may seem, it’s just basic supply and demand. I don’t see anything wrong if somebody wants to pay over MSRP for an item in short supply. Doesn’t seem like Schouten is an authorized Leica dealer, so they can do whatever they want regarding pricing. It’s a free market…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

New, unused in box: all that's happened is that it's been opened. Perhaps they just got a delivery from Leica, opened it to photograph it and then added an extra markup for doing so? 
A nice way to make money - legal, supply/demand etc.
But smelly.

Edited by LocalHero1953