S2 typ 006 battery life

Pieter12

• Pieter12 changed the title to S2 typ 006 battery life
6 hours ago, Pieter12 said:

I am curious how long the battery lasts in an S2 006. I hear some other digital Leicas has terrible battery life.

The S-batteries last forever. I don't know/haven't checked the number of images on one battery. But for my shooting, I typically don't change the S-battery during a day (although I typically bring with me a spare battery). This in contrast to eg SL where I may need 2-3 batteries a day. In my book, the the S-system battery is a large plus compared to any of the other camera systems I use.

• Like 1

If the battery is fresh, it lasts a very very long time. The only time I ever had it fail on me was when I forgot to turn off the auto sleep function and left it on in the bag. Unless you are sure to use the camera the entire day, it is unlikely that you will need an extra battery. The S006 and S2 have no live view or video functions to drain the battery, and have a large battery relative their power needs. This is one of the best aspects of the system. Seldom do you need to do more than charge up the battery once you have finished using it at the end of the day. It does not seem to drain much during storage either...

• Like 1

Battery life: Film Cameras >> S(006) >> S(007)/S3/Live View (mostly magnified focussing) >> Mirrorless. With most mirrorless, you can see the battery percentage tick down like a timer. I'd carry three or four minimum. With the S(007), one spare would do. With the S(006), I'd carry a spare, but never need it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I shot the s006 for six years professionally and never bought a spare battery…but my work is not typically constant like events etc. I would take fewer photos over the course of a long period. I would say if you shoot A LOT it might be good to have a spare. Otherwise just see how it goes for you.