Color rendering different lenses and sensors

RBB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yesterday I made two pictures with the same lens and the SL2 and SL2s. Clearly the one made with the SL2-s were richer and warmer then the one from the SL2. I used the Sigma 135mm f/1.8 because it was on the body. Today just for the fun I did again but this time with three different Leica lenses, because I think Sigma colours are less vibrant . The 24-70, the 24-90 and the 50, on a tripod, aperture 8.

And why not share the results 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 minutes ago, larsv said:

Difference may also be the result of in camera lens profile application.

That could be an explanation for the difference with the Sigma shot, which looked far more different then with the native Leica lenses.

• Like 1

In the portrait one is more orangey and the other more bluey. Can’t tell whether the same colour temperature was applied.

On the fruit, it looks as if the summilux is brighter, so hard to judge colour.

Thanks for taking the trouble to do these comparisons, which are always interesting. 

Completely different sensors. Of course there's a difference. Different CFA array for a start, before we get down the imaging pipeline.

The SL 24-70 is made by Sigma and Sigma have an identical version, so there's that. The SL24-70 won't be more vibrant than Sigma glass except through a profile. The Sensors will be a mix of hardware and software differences.

What you do demonstrate is why Cine lenses are so damn expensive. A good set of Cine lenses would show identical colour across the lens range. Not so important for stills lenses.

Gordon

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Old thread I know but I was just comparing a couple of my lenses and find that colours vary markedly confirming Flash's contention that consistency is more often a function of lens choice than sensor.

Messing about earlier with SL2

I found Leica SL APO 50, VE 24-70 and Sigma Art 35 1.4 close enough (for me) but the Sigma Art 85 and 105 have quite a different but similar rendition, extremely sharp though 

The Q2 slots in with the early group

Is this a function of focal length, I controlled as much as able, Iso, Aperture etc

9 hours ago, huwm said:

Old thread I know but I was just comparing a couple of my lenses and find that colours vary markedly confirming Flash's contention that consistency is more often a function of lens choice than sensor.

Messing about earlier with SL2

I found Leica SL APO 50, VE 24-70 and Sigma Art 35 1.4 close enough (for me) but the Sigma Art 85 and 105 have quite a different but similar rendition, extremely sharp though 

The Q2 slots in with the early group

Is this a function of focal length, I controlled as much as able, Iso, Aperture etc

Not so much focal length but the longer lenses will likely have different glass types to the shorter ones. The 85 and 105 may even share some elements. Most of the differences will be the lens coatings, I suspect. That’s usually where manufacturers have some control and they often use coating to try and get lenses close. I haven’t used the VE24-70 or the Sigma version but I suspect the colour between them is slightly different because although the optics  are identical the coatings won’t be.

Gordon

Without lens coatings, the image would be much darker and bluish/greenish. The more lenses are used or the thicker they are, the more important becomes the coating and its tuning. 

Older Leica lenses tend to be visibly colder compared to contemporary siblings. Back then lead was part of the coating formulas, which isn't allowed today. Plus, tastes changed. The 50mm Summicron R is a prime example, almost as cold as the best Zeiss lenses from the same era but without that magenta hint. 

I like that look very much for skin tones (Leica not Zeiss) and prefer it over the neutral 24-90.

I can only guess why the longer Sigmas render colour differently. Perhaps Sigma uses one coating receipt for all their lenses? And because the longer primes use more or thicker glass the colour rendering could be different. 

Agfacolor, Ektacolor, Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Agfachrome, Fujicolor, Fujichrome, etc., etc, all rcorded and displayed colours differently, you either were happy with the renditions, or chose a different emulsion, or adjusted using CC filters, or adjusted in the darkroom. None could 'accurately' record colours as seen by th grey; and digital era camera/sensor/lens can do so either. And the adjustments we do in 'post' using LR or C1, or whatever can still change with he different iterations of the software. So, photograph, process, print an enjoy.

• Like 4

On 9/19/2021 at 11:24 PM, AZN said:

Didn't see it mentioned – are these fruit-bowl images from RAW DNGs or camera-produced JPEGs?

DNG from the camera, capture one JPG, no adjustments.