CA in 50 lux vs. 50 cron

Mark Wilkison

As far as my current lenses are concerned, 50/2 has more CA than 50/1.4 at the same apertures. Now even the best corrected lens like 50/2 apo will exhibit color fringes in case of severe overexposure, which happens quite easily when shooting dark things like tree branches into the light. 

Design is the art of compromise. There's no such thing as perfection in this world. I've got a 50/2 R (version 2 ROM) and have never found CA a particular problem within the realms of my needs and experience. Now I'll just have to go looking for it and seeking situations which will provoke it. What I shall then do about it I have no idea. (Since I use an M240 and an SL2 these days, I suppose I'll just have to go to the expense of a 50 Apo Summicron M and an M to L adapter.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are two Summilux 50/1.4 and two Summicton 50/2

It also depends on which camera body they are used as with or without an anti-aliasing filter.

So, for example a Nikon Z7 I and II will differ from a Z6 I and II using the same lens.

The aperture used will also affect the CA.

Finally irrelevant of the light refraction and condition , the editing application will also produce a different result.

So choose your poison carefully bearing in mind one lend is USD500-ish and the other USD5000-ish.

• 2 weeks later...

It is right to me Ornello opinion. Images are:

1. Entire image.
2. 50/1.4 2nd vers. (E60), f/2.8 full size.
3. 50/1.4 f//8 f.s.
4. 50/2 2nd vers., f/2.8 f.s.
5. 50/2 f/8 f.s.

Camera is the TL. CA is - to me - at least visible in 50/1.4, and completely negligible in 50/2.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!