SL2 - very disappointing wear damage to body cover

chris_tribble

On 10/16/2021 at 3:35 PM, chris_tribble said:

Another point to raise with Leica.  These are professional tools that have to withstand normal wear and tear (like being USED!).  We're not talking about dropping, taking bullets or being thrown into salt water.  Just simple handling, being taken in and out of camera bags and being carried.  I really expected better

Absolutely agree. Since March I'm using a SL2-S pretty frequently in various conditions without caring and so far no wear and tear. The eyecup issues is the most annoying because it's a pivotal part of the camera. Broken eyecup = camera down. Perhaps my late birth gives me some advantage and Leica has fixed these issues somehow.  

22 hours ago, Gavin Cato said:

I have 2 sl2 bodies and though both haven't suffered from your nail marks, both have had the eyecup rip in the exact same spot.

I need to get it fixed but it's hard with weddings most weekends.

I'm glad my nail marks haven't damaged your camera 🙂.  However, I also feel your pain re the eyecup.  Have you written in to Leica to report / request a fix?  If this was a Ford car there would be a product recall and a fix for free.  It's really not good enough.  Nikon, Canon, and the M's, I've never had these kind of problems.  The SL cameras are great professional tools, but they should be bomb proof in the areas we're having problems.  No excuse.  Stopping a bullet (https://www.dpreview.com/news/3876935997/italian-photojournalist-has-a-leica-camera-to-thank-for-saving-his-life-after-being-hit-by-an-rpg) is all well and good - but camera covers and eyecups not being able to deal with normal use is another issue all together.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

A quick shout out and Thanks to Leica customer care UK who have replaced the cover (synthetic leather) front right on my SL2 under warranty.   

I should also thank @chris_tribble because it was only following his post showing the exact same problem that I was prompted to do something about it.. thinking I may have been the only one experiencing cover wear.   Once I contacted customer care UK, they sourced the necessary parts and carried out the repair here, turnaround time of less than two weeks, very happy it didn't require a trip to Wetzler.  All done under warranty.

Now my quandary is, do I tape the front to guard against similar wear going forward🧐.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 minutes ago, Boojay said:

A quick shout out and Thanks to Leica customer care UK who have replaced the cover (synthetic leather) front right on my SL2 under warranty.   

I should also thank @chris_tribble because it was only following his post showing the exact same problem that I was prompted to do something about it.. thinking I may have been the only one experiencing cover wear.   Once I contacted customer care UK, they sourced the necessary parts and carried out the repair here, turnaround time of less than two weeks, very happy it didn't require a trip to Wetzler.  All done under warranty.

Now my quandary is, do I tape the front to guard against similar wear going forward🧐.

or ?

https://artedimano.com/Leicacases/?idx=294

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, frame-it said:

Thanks but I'm just not a fan of cases on already large bodies, generally end up on my shelf unused, plus I have always found the grip on the SL2 to be really comfortable.

Only case I ever use (when using larger lenses) is a Lim's with grip on my CL, cheap and very practical.  I have an Artedimano case for my M that sits on the shelf,  and an RRS grip and plate that gets some use.

Think I'm getting the tape out, I have to cover up that ugly, in your face white lettering again anyway🙂.

8 hours ago, Boojay said:

Then you’d be no better off, cosmetically, than if you taped over the worn covering.  Just enjoy, recognizing repair process is easy if necessary.

Jeff

• Haha 1

On 11/26/2021 at 10:23 AM, Boojay said:

I’m really glad that this has worked out. Mine’s getting the same treatment next week 🙂. To resolve the problem I have gone down the half case route (for the first time ever!) and have been surprised how well this Chinese made one works. I got one with black stitching…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274866214936  

Apparently only one left! For the money, it’s remarkable value and, in my hands, makes the camera more comfortable to hold!

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Thanks 1

Hello Chris,

Although only a tiny finger nail mark on mine (big palms but short fingers) and following your enthusiasm for it, I've ordered one -  black with red stitching - due to arrive by the end of December.  It should also protect the base of the body when I'm grovelling on my knees trying to photograph fungi!!!

All good wishes,

Graeme

I've had my SL-2 since August 2020 and a SL before that. Never had similar damage to the grip area or the Diopter setting ring area. 5000+ shutter clicks on the SL-2. The SL-2 is pristine so far. That said, I am very conscious of the camera at all times. Issues like these are very frustrating. I'm glad Leica is helping.

Edited by Max EPR

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. Mine is doing that too. I bought a leather body case cover to protect it since I noticed that happening. But the damage is done. And as a side note I am a woman and I do not have large hands, nor long nails. I have used other brands of bulkier SLR cameras and never had this problem in the past. 

Greetings all,

Update - I ordered a black half case with red stitching (very Leica!!) on 2nd December after reading Chris's note - it arrived 12 days later on Tuesday 14th from China.  Seems to be well made and fits like a glove allowing me to handle the camera easily.  It arrived carefully packed in a cloth tie-bag with a complimentary screen and top screen protector. I don't know how they make them for the price! More anon after it gets some use...

All the best for Christmas and the New Year everyone,

Graeme

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2021 at 2:35 PM, chris_tribble said:

Interesting - and, even more disappointingly I've just discovered an additional failure.  Again - something I've never had on any other professional body!  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Another point to raise with Leica.  These are professional tools that have to withstand normal wear and tear (like being USED!).  We're not talking about dropping, taking bullets or being thrown into salt water.  Just simple handling, being taken in and out of camera bags and being carried.  I really expected better.  ALL my M's have been robust and durable.  I feel concerned that the SL has some fundamental problems with its external design and finish.

Is that a DS-1 hot shoe cover please? I am not sure if I should have one of these, or Q2 style :)

It's funny how everyone seems to want Brassing on the M to show how much use the camera has seen and yet so upset over the marks on the SL showing it's been used.

The eyecup on my S(006) has also torn, waiting to find out it it's a "user replaceable" part or it needs to go home to Germany for a repair.  When they replaced the sensor the camera was gone for at least 4 months so I won't be sending it for an eyecup!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sailronin said:

It's funny how everyone seems to want Brassing on the M to show how much use the camera has seen and yet so upset over the marks on the SL showing it's been used.

Why is that even remotely funny? Brassing can be beautiful, but torn cladding almost always looks like shit. 

• Like 1

I guess I should have said "odd" rather than funny.

I'm thinking of getting an SL2-S and wonder what the cladding is that is so fragile?  Even fake leather should hold up to finger nails.

Edited by Sailronin

5 hours ago, Sailronin said:

I guess I should have said "odd" rather than funny.

I'm thinking of getting an SL2-S and wonder what the cladding is that is so fragile?  Even fake leather should hold up to finger nails.

People with average to larger hands may find the grip extension too small, so you're left having to press with the tips of your fingers to grip the camera. Any length of fingernail at all besides "cut close yesterday" will dig into the cladding. I'm thinking about putting on a half case so that I'm gripping the camera with the grip and not my fingertips.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, iaaan said:

Is that a DS-1 hot shoe cover please? I am not sure if I should have one of these, or Q2 style :)

It was this one (from Amazon) https://www.amazon.co.uk/PROfoto-Trend-JJC-Panasonic-Mirrorless-Standard/dp/B073XJS1TV/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B073XJS1TV&psc=1

Cheap and cheerful - but it works....