SL2 - very disappointing wear damage to body cover

chris_tribble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For the first time ever, with any Leica product (and any professional camera I've owned), I've discovered a that the body cover is unaccepably vulnerable to wear.  The picture below shows how the cover next to the hand grip has been damaged by my (short, well maintained!) finger nails.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I'm contacting Leica to arrange a repair under warranty as I find this to be quite unacceptable under fair wear and tear conditions.  I carry the camera across my body most of the time (not with a hand strap) so, while I can accept the wear on the metal base and EVF frame shown in the picture, the wear on the body cover is shocking.  Anyone else noticed this?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have exactly the same damage Chris, think I've mentioned it on the forum previously.  It happened when I quickly snatched up the camera from a table one day, my nails were not ridiculously long, just the normal female variety🙂.  I've just continued using the camera as is, mainly because of the Brexit situation and how much more of a faff it is to get this seen to.   Other than that the camera shows normal wear, odd shiny edge here and there.

I will be interested to hear how Leica respond, excuse the quickly grabbed phone shot below.

Chris,  I have only seen this once on a SL camera body.  But...the person admitted their finger nails and hard grip did the damage.  In your case, nails aren't the issue, perhaps a too tight a grip on the camera might have over time put pressure on covering.  My SL2-S and prior SL2 and S cameras never had this issue.  Then again, I would shoot and hand my camera back to an assistant and rarely carried for long periods.  The wear around the rear screen, I had that occur with a former black M10.  I decided to go to silver chrome bodies and no issues.  My M10-M doesn't have an issue with wear around the screen.  It will be interesting and hopefully Leica will replace the covering under warranty.  r/ Mark

vor 2 Stunden schrieb chris_tribble:

For the first time ever, with any Leica product (and any professional camera I've owned), I've discovered a that the body cover is unaccepably vulnerable to wear.  The picture below shows how the cover next to the hand grip has been damaged by my (short, well maintained!) finger nails.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I'm contacting Leica to arrange a repair under warranty as I find this to be quite unacceptable under fair wear and tear conditions.  I carry the camera across my body most of the time (not with a hand strap) so, while I can accept the wear on the metal base and EVF frame shown in the picture, the wear on the body cover is shocking.  Anyone else noticed this?

Truly shocking and inexplicable! But, fortunately(!), I had never noticed this (SL 601 & SL 2)... All the best!

Strange, and unacceptable. I used the SL for its whole life from launch till last summer, and never saw anything like this. I only had the SL2 for a few months and didn't notice anything. I've now had the SL2-S for 9 months and can't see any wear. I use nothing but a handstrap, so my fingers don't avoid that area.

Although unacceptable, human variability may account for the fact that some people see it and others don't. My nails, when short, would never get anywhere near the camera surface; my wife's, by contrast, probably would, easily (she's not here at the moment to check!).  

3 hours ago, LeicaR10 said:

.  Then again, I would shoot and hand my camera back to an assistant and rarely carried for long periods. 

Oh Mark - would that I had an assistant again! 😎

Still - fixed for the moment!

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

it is surprising , they should replace the covers. and you should tell the Kats to scratch the sofa instead LOL

it is not great if you have to put sofa covers on the camera so that it does not look to old and used.

I don't have the nails issue, but the pain is for sure coming off quickly.

An update on this.  I'm still in discussions with Leica over this, but I've now noticed the beginning of similar wear on my second SL2 body and can only conclude that it's a design flaw in the fabric (not leather!) that the body is covered with.  While I have a relatively long middle finger, my nails are kept short - and I don't think I'm exceptional:

I've now used duct tape to protect this area on both bodies. 

I'd be interested to hear if others are noticing wear in this area.  I think it's caused most when carrying the camera one handed - though there's some contact in my case when I'm holding the camera for normal shooting.  If you do notice unusual wear, I think we might start a write-in to Leica in order to find a solution.  It shouldn't be necessary to tape up the body to prevent wear on a professional camera that should be able to withstand years of daily use!

vor 31 Minuten schrieb chris_tribble:

An update on this.  I'm still in discussions with Leica over this, but I've now noticed the beginning of similar wear on my second SL2 body and can only conclude that it's a design flaw in the fabric (not leather!) that the body is covered with.  While I have a relatively long middle finger, my nails are kept short - and I don't think I'm exceptional:

I've now used duct tape to protect this area on both bodies. 

I'd be interested to hear if others are noticing wear in this area.  I think it's caused most when carrying the camera one handed - though there's some contact in my case when I'm holding the camera for normal shooting.  If you do notice unusual wear, I think we might start a write-in to Leica in order to find a solution.  It shouldn't be necessary to tape up the body to prevent wear on a professional camera that should be able to withstand years of daily use!

Extremely strange and mysterious. 

Hi,

I have large hands and often carry my SL2s by the grip, dangling at my side. So far no wear whatsoever.

I now have also checked if my nails could scrap while carrying or operating the camera. They definitely don‘t. 

So I have no idea how this could happen - sorry.

I assume that there must come some variables together (anatomical, kind of usage, duration of usage, carrying technic, temperature, humidity, sample variation, ….. ?). 

I‘ll keep an eye on it.

Cheers

Daniel

• Like 1

Chris.

I have looked at this issue, and I think I might have found the cause of your problem with your  SL2.

In most cameras we use the grip to hold on too, our finger tips cushion the body whilst  we're apply  pressure on the body, however on the SL2 the grip has a recess on which it allows your fingers to wrap further onto the grip leaving your finger nails exposed onto the leatherette.

None of my  Nikons, canon, or Fujis have a recess on the grip and I have never had any issues with the leatherettes on any of my cameras.

I hope that helps.

Ken.

I have the same thing (worse) on the SL and a bit on the M as well as I use a grip. Being a reformed classical guitarist, the finger nails on my right hand are longer than most men's.  I'll note that I've not experience this sort of wear with any other camera. I find it faintly sexist to tacitly assume a male hand is on the grip, given women tend to sport longer nails. Leica really should address this issue as tape is rather a poor solution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting to hear that others have this problem. I think it’s something to do with the grip design which has no transitional curve from the grip to the body. My Canon 5 series bodies (and before that the EOS 1 series film bodies) never gave me this problem. There either needs to be a design change to the bodies so that FUNCTION drives Form or there needs to be a hard plastic insert that protects the cover at the predictable point of abrasion. It’s really not a long fingernail issue (though maybe a longer than average finger issue). 

Yep.. I don’t even keep my nails long.. it started to show very mild wear in that spot and I slapped this sticker on it to prevent further wear 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting - and, even more disappointingly I've just discovered an additional failure.  Again - something I've never had on any other professional body!  

Another point to raise with Leica.  These are professional tools that have to withstand normal wear and tear (like being USED!).  We're not talking about dropping, taking bullets or being thrown into salt water.  Just simple handling, being taken in and out of camera bags and being carried.  I really expected better.  ALL my M's have been robust and durable.  I feel concerned that the SL has some fundamental problems with its external design and finish.