M10R + 50mm APO vs S007

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everybody, question about S 007 vs M10R + 50mm APO.

So I’ve had many Leica cameras and I’ve come down to loving the 006. I love everything about it but obviously I can’t shoot in low light situations. So I’m thinking about going either for the 007 or the M10R as I already have the 50mm APO. 

Those of you you’ve had experience with both, which one would you recommend?

Important things for me: image character  , dynamic range & colors. I know that the 007 doesn’t have a similar color palette to the 006 but I’m considering it as it might be a good option for low light situations.

Thank you!

There is always a pictorial difference between medium format and miniature format, irrespective of MP count, DR, noise, etc. If image "character" is your prime concern, you'll need to stay with the S series.

Specs like megapixels might be similar across many digital medium format and full frame cameras these days, but smoothness of tonality (simply a “gentler” rendering) is what i see from most medium format digital that i don’t see in 35mm full frame. I can’t explain what causes this, it could be a combo of things including sensor size, but I’d only return to the smaller format now for weight / size reasons, not image quality. 

6 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

Specs like megapixels might be similar across many digital medium format and full frame cameras these days, but smoothness of tonality (simply a “gentler” rendering) is what i see from most medium format digital that i don’t see in 35mm full frame. I can’t explain what causes this, it could be a combo of things including sensor size, but I’d only return to the smaller format now for weight / size reasons, not image quality. 

I wish someone would shoot the same scene with equivalent focal lengths on an S and M or SL so we could see this difference in tonality.  I've seen images taken with S3, and they look amazing, but always assumed it's mostly because of the S lenses. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Bornosor
      Hi
      i’ve just got my first digital Leica, an M10R.
      coming from a canon background im used to connecting my camera directly to my mac and having the eos utility automatically download and organize my photos into different folders sorted by date,
      Obviously thats not the case with the Leica and i have to connect the sd card to my mac in which all the photos are stores in one folder that i have to manually create date stamped folders for on my hard drive.
      is there any way (in camera or through an app) that i can do something similar to the canon eos utility with the leica sd card and automatically import all the photos on it into date stamped folders?
    • By Khun Hans
      Tried to do  Multi-shot exposure on my SL2s with Summicron-M 50mm, Super-Elmar-M21mm, Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 35mm. File size 12000x8000=96MB.
      Terrible result with all 3 lenses and I thought of doing something wrong. Changed to a super rigid tripod and the results were the same bad. Pictures look at 100% kind of having poor resolution.
      Even the 1 shot DNG files are in no way the quality of the same lenses on my M10-R. I use the original  Leica M Adapter to L. All pictures shorter than 1/1000s. 100% crop.
      Anybody comes to the same conclusion.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!  
    • By augustwest100
      Hello there,
      I am looking to get some advice coming from a Sony A9, which I got not because I shoot action, but because I was drawn to the "no blackout" EVF. I have used and owned many Leicas in my day, including the MP film camera, the M9, M240,  Q, and M10, and am currently "between" Leicas. I am wondering whether anyone can guide me with my next decision: Whether to sell the Sony A9 and the glass I own for it in order to get a Leica SL2 or SL2S, or to get the Leica M10R. I absolutely love the experience of looking through a glass viewfinder at the real world and I like to take a minimalist approach to what gear I carry. I never "spray and pray," even with the A9, at most I focus once, recompose and shoot. 
       I don't always hit focus with the M cameras, and sometimes I get a little stressed by the fact that you cannot see the exact framing of the image, and many of the lenses (such as the Summicron 35mm M I still own) do not focus on close subjects. So I guess what I am saying is that I am struggling with the pros and cons of both systems. The M system is near and dear to me, but I don't always get focus or framing when under a little pressure. The SL2S intrigues me as a good way to replace my Sony A9, sacrificing Sony's autofocus madness, button layout, and pages of frustrating menus, for a more sublime Leica experience, but seems a little heavy.  The reason I was thinking of SL2S versus M10R is that the resolution of the  M10R would allow me to "fix" the framing if I don't get it perfect, where on the SL2S I would be seeing exactly what I would get before I shoot, so the extra resolution would probably not be needed as much. 
      Of course I would love to own both someday
      Note: I am not a professional photographer. I like shooting street, landscape and sometimes non-studio portraits. I like Leica because of the simplicity of use, the connection to film days, and because of the dedicated dials for ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture. If the M10D had a film advance lever that worked, I probably would have pulled the plug on that baby! And if the Sony A9 had dedicated dials (and less of them) and about 10 pages less of options (animal eye auto focus - wow!) I would consider keeping it.
      Thanks for any advice you may have!

• By sillbeers15
      Two shots taken same day within a couple of minutes apart.
      One shot was taken with the SL2 single shot with SL16-35 and another with M10R with WATE. 
      Both shots taken at ISO100 / M mode / F9 / 1/20 sec on tripod.
      Can you tell which shot is taken with SL2 + SL16-35mm lens?

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!untitled-1001471 by sillbeers15
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!untitled-1020091 by sillbeers15
    • By Mo(w)gli
      I went on a day trip to Saxon Switzerland with the M10R with 50mm APO and the Leica Q2 in my luggage. We were on the Gohrischstein, Pfaffenstein, Lilienstein and Bastei.

Sunrise  (view from Gohrischstein)

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!