Keep me from selling my S007 kit!

pmendelson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently picked up a S007 in a trade, and have the 24mm, 35mm and 70mm lenses.  My main kit is the SL2/SL2-S and a number of SL lenses that are great.  However, I was curious about everything I heard and read about the look of the files from the S series, so I thought it would be a good complements to the SL2, especially since I can use the S lenses on the SL as well with the adapter. 

After several weeks, I am finding that I gravitate much more to the SL2 system due to the size/weight (btw I only use a tripod about 10% of the time). The shots I have taken with the S007 are very nice, but don't knock me over the head as being dramatically different or better than the SL2. Most of my photos are taken in situations where I don't want to lug around a big and heavy kit, like vacations or short trips (even the SL2 seems too big some of the time).  I am seriously considering letting the S007 go and picking up the Hasselblad 907x (again) for the small size and waist level shooting experience, which I enjoy as an alternative way of shooting (it was just a fun camera to use with a great menu system).  

Should I stick with the S007 and try to shoot with it more, in the hope I will "see the light" with more experience?  Any inspiring resources to keep me motivated to use it (besides this forum)?

Thanks,

Peter

I bought the S007 last year for about half price brand new, very lucky. I also own the Leica SL2S and use the adapter. My lenses are all CS for the S system. Mostly bought from a rental house who just couldn't rent it out because at the time it wasn't compatible with Capture One. I am so delighted to have the S system. But my needs are very specific. I use it in the studio to shoot contemporary dance at 1/1000th of a second. I wouldn't last very long with it if I took it on holiday. I would be using my fuji Xpro 2, or X100F, as this is a much lighter system. I love the S glass on the SL2 by the way. I'm using this set up for interiors photography. Together with a Canon 24mm shift. I wouldn't even take the SL2 on holiday with the SL2 glass. It's still a heavy system. One of the best things about the S007 system is the battery life. Especially if you have the grip. I can do a whole day without changing the batteries in the studio taking thousands of images. I also love the shallow depth of field for that medium format look. Colours are fantastic. It just does everything I need it to do. It doesn't overheat when you are really pressing it. It is a professional tool. I absolutely love it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the use you describe Leica offers the CL - image quality on par with the SL and a highly portable system. 

7 hours ago, pmendelson said:

Most of my photos are taken in situations where I don't want to lug around a big and heavy kit, like vacations or short trips (even the SL2 seems too big some of the time).

• Like 2

Pmendelson,   You have a situation that in reality only you can decide what works best for you.  I used the S system well over a decade for my high end landscape photography business.  My clients would only accept and buy my large landscapes created by the S cameras and lenses.  I tried other brands, Fuji and Hasselblad and my clients simply wouldn't buy the images.  The prints didn't have the same look or feel to them.  Color management had nothing to do with it.  I came back to the S system and my clients came back.  I have since gone into semi-retirement and sold my business to my aspiring assistants.  The business included all the S cameras and gear.  Now I use the SL2-S and M lenses along with a M10-M.  I create what I wish for myself.  I can only say, the S007 and S lenses render in a unique and cinematic way.  The SL2 and SL2-S with SL lenses have a different look and feel.  Even my former clients could tell immediately between the two systems.  Then again, the corporate and private collectors were really selective.  Last, I wish that I could offer you a better solution, but my opening sentence is the best I can offer.  Perhaps other S users will offer their thoughts that will be helpful.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Why would we keep you from selling a system that you don't like using? Everyone is different. The S stuck to my hand like it had glue on it from the first time I picked one up in a store. I've tried other lighter or more flexible systems since. The S remains and they are gone. I don't love the weight, but the ergonomics are a joy and the results lovely in a way I have not achieved elsewhere. But if the camera didn't thrill me? It's a lot to carry if you don't love it.

Good luck with your decision.

Matt

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies - I do find people's different perspectives and experiences to be very helpful as I deliberate, especially as I don't have as much shooting experience with the S007 as you all.  Nick, I also like the S lenses on the SL system, and that is one factor that is making me hesitate - in addition to getting different effective focal lengths, you get IBIS with the SL2.  I especially like the 24mm S (and there is no SL prime equivalent until the 24mm SL Summicron is released).  Regarding the CL, I tried it once, and loved the 11-23mm zoom, but I just didn't get the same enjoyment factor in using it as the Q2, for example.  But maybe I will check it out again. 

As we all know, there are different compromises with all of these systems and we have great choices but no one system does it all.  For me, important factors are mainly: image quality (color, high ISO performance), size and weight, resolution, enjoyment of use/ergonomics, and IBIS.  Unfortunately there is no one camera that does this all at the highest level.  I use the SL2-S for low light, SL2 for when I want higher resolution, the SL2/SL2-S for IBIS and enjoyment of use/ergonomics, and the S007 for image quality/ergonomics (and for really small size when the SL2 with a M lens is still too big I use a Ricoh GRIII or my iPhone).  

Thanks all - much appreciated!

I agree with @ynp that the OVF is the killer feature of the S system.  This is why those who prefer the M line for its rangefinder as OVF gravitate towards the S.  The other killer feature of the S not available with the SL line or other FF lines is the inimical MF look where you don't need a Noctilux or APO 50 to achieve subject separation at all kinds of apertures easily.

I've recently added an M9-P to my M line for the Kodachrome CCD look and was absolutely stunned by the difference it adds, and also by the fact that 18MP is still sufficient for anything I do.  Thus the whole question of 37.5MP vs 64MP in S line or 50--100MP in Hasselblad/Fujifilm MF race is put into perspective -- I enjoy the look much more than the knowledge by how many megapixels it's supported.

It's the combination of OVF, Leica S look and its homogeneous rendering on all S lenses that must first spring to mind for those who are attracted to the S system.  If I don't see that in your opening lines, well, you're trying different things which are OK but there's no urgency nor commitment so it looks like a transitory relationship.:)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies.  I think I am going to keep the S007 for now, especially since I really, really like the S lenses on both the S007 and the SL2 system.  It's one of those systems I think I would regret letting go before really using it over a longer period of time to get a better sense of its characteristics. 

• Like 4

I also own both. I use the SL system more often because of its flexibility but every time I do use the S (for example with the 70) I do LOVE the results.

For my taste the SL2 delivers very sharp and detailed images with great color, good bokeh etc., but for my taste the S lenses+camera have something special.

My fav SL lens is the 50/1.4 which is closest to S look, but also closes to S size!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/17/2021 at 2:22 PM, pmendelson said:

: image quality (color, high ISO performance), size and weight, resolution

On 9/17/2021 at 2:22 PM, pmendelson said:

SL2 with a M lens is still too big

M10-R then?

• Thanks 1

Hello Peter,

I may not be able to provide an answer but like to share what I am encountering now. I chatted with you on FM, so you know I am also new to the S system.

I have sold my SL2 very recently in order to push myself to dedicate time on S 007 and S lenses. Not a recommendation but a description of what I am at right now. I do pick up a Lumix S5 for videos and will get the S-L adapter later for shooting videos with S lenses. I have the SL35 and two PL lenses for S5, but will consider selling the SL35. The rendering by SL lenses are perfect, but I personally feel the S lenses give me more emotions resembling what M lenses give me.  

The S system is big and heavy for sure, but I hope I will keep learning to use it due to the very unique look. I had an SL (a perfect camera for M lenses to me), TL, CL, M10 and was also coming from Mamiya 7/Rolleiflex TLR.  I found that when I don't have my SL2 and naturally I will bring my S 007 out. It is a bit of a physical work-out for sure. I don't like to use the S5 for still images, but a great video tool with a big external monitor. Everyone has different needs. I guess what is important to me is the MF look I missed from the old film days. 

I found that I really have fun with this not straightforward but enjoyable arrangement so far.  

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Peter M,  Congratulations on your decision to keep your superb S007 and S lenses.  I highly suggest you simply get out and shoot, shoot and shoot more with the camera.  The S renders like nothing else out there.  I always looked at my S camera as a tool that helped me create photographs that my clients would; Stop, Look, Think and Feel something about that moment in time.  I am certain you are doing the same with this set of tools.  Capturing that moment in time, be it a mesmerizing landscape or the essence of a person's soul, the S will help you reach that creative goal.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

Peter, asking yourself this question is as much as answering it. You should keep the system which works best for you, full stop. If weight and size are a priority, I think the S is not an option. I personally do not wish an electronic viewfinder but an optical one, so that pretty much takes priority for me. In your case, the SL seems like the way to go.