Road Bike and SL - bags and tips

FORUMUSER

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, 
I'm a lot with the road bike, and I am searching for a new bag. I have already browsed some web shops but have not found the right one yet. 
Has someone of you the camera in a similar use and can give me a recommendation regarding  the hold and ergonomic? 

I am also grateful for general tips on photography on bike trips :)

Thanks in advance and many greetings

I have the Ortlieb Ultimate 6. I carry my CL in it, but it will take the SL and a Summicron-SL or similar.
My only design criticism is that the shoulder strap for carrying if off the bike is detached when on the bike and it's a bit of a fiddle to reattach. You can leave it attached, but it gets tangled up with the camera. I tend to leave the strap at home, since I would rarely need it for my bike rides. Ideally it would have a top handle, not a shoulder strap.

The best shot I have of it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 6

Also interested in this! I do a lot of bikepacking, usually just with my iPhone but started taking my CL (in a small backpack, but I prefer not to use a backpack on the bike if possible).

I got a SL2-S a couple of months ago and have been trying to figure out the best way to carry it for e.g. landscape photography trips. What worries me about carrying it on the bike (rather than my back) is whether the constant vibration and bumps will eventually do some damage? I've been hunting for a 'small as possible' backpack that can carry a 24-90 and 90-280. Everything else I can carry in my bikepacking bags.

Edited by hoolyproductions
  • Like 1

The Ortlieb Ultimate 6 obviously hangs from the handlebar from just one edge, so has a slight springiness in the suspension as well as the padding in the bag. I ride on gravel and muddy farm tracks as well as poor asphalt roads, but don't feel the vibration is too much. No camera failures so far anyway🤞.

I'm aware of the risks of falling on a camera: I slipped walking down a wet muddly hill and landed on my back on a shoulder bag holding my M9. 'Only' soft tissue damage, but my kidneys felt bruised for more than a week. 

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

If I’m on my road bike then it’s iPhone 11 all the way; anything off road/trails then it’s my CL, either in a Billingham End Pocket (fits nicely) stored in an Arc’teryx Arro 22 rucksack (which I find very comfortable for 40+ miles) or held outside (and more readily accessible) by the PD Capture Clip. Never taken my SL on the bike!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I'm aware of the risks of falling on a camera: I slipped walking down a wet muddly hill and landed on my back on a shoulder bag holding my M9. 'Only' soft tissue damage, but my kidneys felt bruised for more than a week. 

That’s also a good point - I ride off road a d occasionally have a fall. I’d rather have a vibrated camera than a broken spine!

• Like 1

Many thanks for your comments.  

In my pre-Leica era, I was using just a small shoulder bag with my Fuji. So we spent two weeks on the bikes in south France last year, and it was nice to have the camera directly on hand when I needed it. But yes, you bring up a good point, accidents. For the Fuji, it was just plastic, but the SL is way heavier and may cause more damage (to me). 

I think I'm looking now for a handlebar bag that is well accessible with a camera inlay. I have good experience with Restrap for the saddle and frame bags. I will give a change to this one: https://eu.restrap.com/products/bar-pack (Restrap BAR PACK).

If you have other ideas (Unfortunately, I think there are no handlebar bags, especially for camera gear) 

My post above about what I use was entirely about cycling for exercise - I totally forgot that I get around town here entirely by bike.

In town I use either a shoulder bag for a camera and 1-2 lenses, or a backpack. I have planned a kit suitable for location portraits and similar events: a Lowepro RoadRunner (non-roller) backpack holds (e.g.) the SL + 2 biggish lenses, 2 strobes, two brollies and two light stands strapped to the outside. Quite heavy and a serious risk in the event of a fall, but manageable. I now have another backpack for cycling with large format: F-stop Loka + 2 F-stop inserts, lightweight 4x5 field camera, 3 lenses, loupe, cloth and tripod strapped to the outside. Equally OTT on a bike, but also manageable.

Edited by LocalHero1953

As an experienced rider of a touring bike with camera equipment always on board here is my advice. You don't want to carry anything on your back unless it is lightweight rain gear, snacks, etc. in a daypack. The advantage of a bike over backpacking is the bike is carrying all the weight. No point then in putting strain on your back, which is asking for trouble especially if you do fall. Heavy stuff goes on the rear, on the bars or in panniers. For a road bike, a bar bag suspended by straps or velcro on the handlebars absorbs more shocks than anything at the back of the bike and is the best place for your camera. This may seem counter-intuitive but it's true. I've tested it by carrying eggs.They always broke as soon as i hit bumps when I carried them on a rear rack but not in a handlebar mounted bag.Any secure bag from any brand will do.Cushion the inside of the bar bag with foam/ bubble wrap or such like. Putting the camera on the front means good access to the camera when you need it too.If you crash, you crash and there isn't much you can do about it.Your bars will take most of the impact. You are always more important than the camera. Try to avoid crashing on tarmac or concrete.It hurts like hell.A Leica SL series camera is pretty darned tough. An M not so because your rangefinder will eventually get knocked out of whack easily.A compact camera like the Leica CL is really the best for cycling both for size, weight and convenience. A steel / chromoly frame also absorbs shocks far better than aluminum or carbon.Keep your tires well inflated and good luck.

Again an SL series camera is well built and will likely fare better than your body does for cycling.I wouldn't worry too much just take sensible precautions.

Edited by 2M6TTLs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FORUMUSER said:

If you have other ideas (Unfortunately, I think there are no handlebar bags, especially for camera gear) 

The Ortlieb handlebar bags are mentioned both in this thread and in the linked thread I provided.  

https://www.ortlieb.com/usa_en/products/bike-bags/handlebar-bags

A Google search will bring up other similar options.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

2 hours ago, 2M6TTLs said:

For a road bike, a bar bag suspended by straps or velcro on the handlebars absorbs more shocks than anything at the back of the bike

Thanks, where this doesn't help me much is that when I'm camping my tent goes in a bikepacking handlebar bag. Mind you I have so much weight when camping I'm unlikely to take a heavy camera in addition. Now if I had an electric bike... 😃

Am 17.9.2021 um 20:59 schrieb 2M6TTLs:

For a road bike, a bar bag suspended by straps or velcro on the handlebars absorbs more shocks than anything at the back of the bike and is the best place for your camera. This may seem counter-intuitive but it's true. I've tested it by carrying eggs.

The Ortlieb bags are not suspended by straps to the handlebar but are fixed by some special mechanism. Do you have any experiences (or egg tests done) with these bags?

The Ortlieb bag is clipped onto a bracket (contact area 4cm x 4cm), which in turn is fastened by plastic coated wire cable to the bars, drawn tight. The bracket-to-bar connection is pretty rigid - little or no flex in it. The bag-to-bracket clip connection is less rigid and does have some flex/bounce, although the plastic clip is integral with the hard plastic frame around the mouth of the bag. The rest of the bag has no hard plastic frame . The combination of the flex in the clip, the flex in the bag material and the padding of the bag is fairly forgiving. It wouldn't surprise me if an egg broke in the bag, but at risk of pointing out the obvious, cameras are not eggs (nor are rangefinder mechanisms) and I would never treat them as if they were as fragile as one. These bags are designed for cameras.

Edited by LocalHero1953

• 2 months later...

Hi all, 
to pick up on my initial question, I wanted to tell you about my last trip in Andalusia. We were two weeks on the road with the bikes and I had my SL with me for the first time. We had the luggage only on the bikes, so a kind of backpacking light (I love hot showers in the hotel after a long day ;) ).  

To transport the camera, I decided to use a BAR PACK (https://eu.restrap.com/collections/bar-bags/products/bar-pack) from Restrap. I already have a few bags from them, which I can highly recommend. For this, I just took a cheap inlay so that the camera is well padded. On the tour we had sun, rain and finally temperatures around 0. The bag has held well, and the camera was super dry. The good thing about the bag is the closure via two rubber bands on the sides, which are simply pulled over the holder. So, you could get the camera out perfectly and did not have to rummage for a long time. 

For the lens, I chose my Sigma 45 mm f2 because it was a bit lighter than my R lenses and is also protected from dust. After a few hours, I was well-adjusted to the additional weight on the front axle and could travel well with it. 

I am really amazed with the SL with the Sigma lens. It took many nice pictures, mainly in the cities. Unfortunately, I have not managed to get good one of  the routes (such as steep climbs, views and road courses). 

I would be very happy if one of you has some tips for me on how you go about photographing tours. Do you take your time and plan less distance or do you get inspired while driving and stop at the best opportunity? 

I also hope that my little article will help those who are planning a similar vacation and are asking themselves the same questions as I did at the beginning. 

Best
Jan 

That restrap bag looks interesting, thanks for the link. Do you think it would take an SL with 24-90 lens? I guess not...

One practical problem I found is that, when staying overnight, I usually have a roll-bag on my handlebars (tent/sleeping bag) so don't have space to put a camera there. I usually manage to not need a backpack for anything else so have been looking for a small light backpack that would take only my camera and hopefully not intrude on my comfort so much.

More on the general side, I personally (so far) don't find my style of cycling to be compatible with photography, they seem to be mutually exclusive mindsets. When on the bike I love the freedom, .movement, flow and spontaneity. I have no problem to notice potential shots but then stopping, walking up and down to find a good angle, letting your heart rate come down etc just ruins the flow altogether. On the other side, I take my best photos when I've had some time to immerse myself in the process, wandering around on foot, following my eyes and imagination - something you just can't do on a speeding bike.

So I tend to end up with some iPhone snaps from the ride and, if I have taken a camera then generally only more considered shots from the camp site/cottage or wherever. 

It seems like plenty cyclists don't find this a problem at all and manage to take gorgeous shots from their rides, often staged ones that clearly took a bit of time. Next season I plan to try some shorter rides to specific places that might be good for landscape photography and see if I can get my head around the interrupted flow.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hoolyproductions said:

That restrap bag looks interesting, thanks for the link. Do you think it would take an SL with 24-90 lens? I guess not...

This guy carried a Canon R5 with 24-105 lens, with room to spare.  There are other articles/videos online that provide various pros/cons and tips using the bag. 

https://advntr.cc/restraps-new-bar-pack-review/

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1