Leica M4 with a Industar Lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, 

I'm new to this forum and I have a question. Which adapter do I need to use an Industar 2.8/52 on a M4 body? 

I was gifted a Leica M4 camera with a 2.8/35 lens, but in the other items was this M39 Industar lens (I think). I'm not even sure if the camera works. I loaded a roll of film, so we'll see. It also came with a lens hood Iwkoo. I was told that it hasn't been touched since the early 80s.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Cheers, 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

You need the screwmount to M-bayonet adapter variously referred to as LTM - M, or M39 - M.

Like this one: (There are three different versions, triggering the 35/135, 50, or 90 framelines on the M4, so the 50mm framelines will be close enough for your lens).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-M39-Screw-to-Leica-M-Mount-Lens-Adapter-50-75-framelines-/381602090123?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

PS: welcome to the forum.  And as to the IWKOO hood - they are expensive now, for the 21mm Super-Angulon lens.

Edited by M9reno
  • Like 1

Thank you for the information. I'll be sure to order this soon. In the mean time, do you know of a reliable Leica repair company in the US? I'm sure the M4 will need a good CLA as it's been sitting unused for two to three decades. The camera also came with an MR-4 meter. I replaced the battery with a WeinCell but it still isn't working properly. The other meter is an MC; unsure if it works (most likely I don't know what I'm doing). 

Doing a lot of research with this old camera. I love reading the forum to learn more about it. 

Thanks again! 

Emmett 

Sends 

Emmett - the most popular US repairers are DAG (Don Goldberg), Youxin Ye (YYE Camera), and Sherrie Krauter. There are a couple of others who are noteworthy as well. If you jump to the Collectors and Historica forum on this site, you will find lots of comments relating to these three in the US as well as others elsewhere. Be aware that depending on a variety of factors, there may be a significant wait period, but these three are well worth it, much better than the Leica facilities in the USA.

I've generally been lucky in having Don and Youxin do my work in less than a month...I remember a 6 month wait with Leica USA. But remember the top repairers sometimes get orders from collectors and dealers who sometimes ship 10-20 cameras at a crack. I've found that a phone call or email helps set realistic the expectations, and these guys, busy as they are, are usually quite responsive. I've also found that prepaying their estimated cost with a promise to pay the rest if things go beyond the estimate (assuming I've been advised), speeds up the process. Good luck in your quest. IMHO the M4 is Leica's gem...I had mine for 43 years before selling it, with one CLA due to my inattentiveness letting it slip onto a hard surface on a cold wintery day (Don fixed my lens and Sherrie fixed the rangefinder).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for your advice. I have many questions about the M4. I'm so glad there's a forum for this. 

Update: I picked up an adapter for the industar lens. It works beautifully! Tomorrow I'm going out to shoot a roll of Kodak Gold 200 with both lenses. 

After developing, I'll make arrangements to send it off to Youxin for a CLA. The Leica lens is a little stiff to focus. It was suggested to let it sit in the sun for a few hours to loosen the ball baring within the lens. 

I've been playing around with the MR-4 meter. I think it's dead. I put in a new Wein battery, but it doesn't seem to work correctly. Do these go bad? 

1 hour ago, Gonzo Photo said:

That's too bad. The camera I have has had the MR installed on it for decades and whoever used it didn't care enough to adjust the hot-shoe plate so now there are noticeable marks on top which are hidden by the meter. I'm guessing there's nothing I can do about that. 

Sadly that is all too common. I have an M2 button rewind which would be almost mint if it were not for the mutilated top plate. It doesn't affect the operation though.

There are now several options for a shoe mounted meter. The MR-4 has the advantage of being coupled with the shutter speed dial but also finding a working one or having one repaired still leaves the battery issue. There are adapters and conversions to adjust modern silver oxide batteries to the same voltage as the mercury cells. Several companies have entered the market with their own version. Voigtlander has been around the longest and is a good choice. I have a Reveni Labs 3D printed meter that I like for its size and usability. There are also a number of other new meters, each with their own fans. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

The Voigtlander meter suits the M profile rather well.

The Voigtländer does look good on your camera! I see that they're going for around $225, which isn't too bad, I guess. Although my wife would say it is. 

I think I have that affliction that some get; G. A. S. (Gear Appropriation Syndrome). I have too many cameras and accessories, according to my wife. I need to stop buying and start shooting! 

Thanks all for your advice!