Centering the AF point.

Steven_nl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi. I just bought a Leica Q2. I am very happy with the image quality and tbe overall handling and setup of the camera. But unfortunatly there seems to be a major flaw. As far as I can tell there is no way to center to AF point. Sure you can double tap the rear screen, but that is hardly an option when you are looking through tbe viewfinder. What could be easier then assigning the center button of the directional pad? It would also be usefull if hou could assign 1/4 part of tbe rear screen to move the focus point around. 

Many users must agree with me on this right?

Thanks

Steven

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 9:34 AM, Steven_nl said:

Hi. I just bought a Leica Q2. I am very happy with the image quality and tbe overall handling and setup of the camera. But unfortunatly there seems to be a major flaw. As far as I can tell there is no way to center to AF point. Sure you can double tap the rear screen, but that is hardly an option when you are looking through tbe viewfinder. What could be easier then assigning the center button of the directional pad? It would also be usefull if hou could assign 1/4 part of tbe rear screen to move the focus point around. 

Many users must agree with me on this right?

Thanks

Steven

I agree, a very annoying mis-function.  Perhaps this could be remedied with a Firmware update.  

• Haha 2

• 4 months later...

For the record, this was fixed in firmware (or always existed, I'm not sure). You have to turn on Touch AF in EVF and have the touch screen function enabled. Then when looking through the EVF, you can double-tap the screen with your right thumb to re-center the focus point. You can also use your thumb to move the focus point around the screen. Unfortunately, the default and only setting for that means if you want the focus point in the bottom left corner, you have to actually drag your thumb over to the bottom left corner of the LCD, which is inconvenient since you have to move your face away from the rear of the camera a bit to be able to have room to slide your thumb all the way across the screen. Most mirrorless manufacturers let you choose from "relative" or "absolute" positioning for this and/or let you assign only the right half of the screen to moving the focus point.

As for the SL2-S, it's a complete disaster and is a firmware release behind the Q2 with regard to Touch AF in EVF. It has the same problem in Field AF mode that the Q2 used to have, which inadvertently engages the function to resize the Field AF box instead of moving it if you try to use Touch AF in EVF.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/18/2022 at 7:18 PM, hdmesa said:

For the record, this was fixed in firmware (or always existed, I'm not sure). You have to turn on Touch AF in EVF and have the touch screen function enabled. Then when looking through the EVF, you can double-tap the screen with your right thumb to re-center the focus point. You can also use your thumb to move the focus point around the screen. Unfortunately, the default and only setting for that means if you want the focus point in the bottom left corner, you have to actually drag your thumb over to the bottom left corner of the LCD, which is inconvenient since you have to move your face away from the rear of the camera a bit to be able to have room to slide your thumb all the way across the screen. Most mirrorless manufacturers let you choose from "relative" or "absolute" positioning for this and/or let you assign only the right half of the screen to moving the focus point.

As for the SL2-S, it's a complete disaster and is a firmware release behind the Q2 with regard to Touch AF in EVF. It has the same problem in Field AF mode that the Q2 used to have, which inadvertently engages the function to resize the Field AF box instead of moving it if you try to use Touch AF in EVF.

Checked it , does work with the nose too ! 
thanxs 

very helpful 

peter 

^ Strange. It seems now as long as I'm in Spot or Field AF modes, I can have Touch AF in EVF and/or Touch AF turned off, and double-tapping on the rear screen while looking through the EVF will still re-center the focus point. I could have sworn before that Touch AF in EVF had to be on for that to work.