Which film stock do you shoot at night ? Image thread

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, 

Is this ok for me to start an image thread about night film photography ? In 2020, i rediscovered shooting film after a decade of digital. In 2021, I’m seriously considering to ditch digital for 99% of my photography and going back almost exclusively to film. The only thing that is still holding me back is low light photography. It is where i am still struggling a little to achieve results that please me. 

I know there are ways, but i know it takes a lot of experimenting with pushing films, and picking the right stock. 

I thought it would be great to benefit of long experience of some of the forum’s film shooters. 

Any advice is welcomed, but i hope this will end up being an image thread. Looking forward to see your low light film photography. Don’t forget to mention the stock used, and wether you shot it at boxspeed, or developed it with special instructions ! 

Cheers, 

Steven 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It depends on what kind of night shots we're talking about. If it's night in a reasonably well lit city, then I find that Tri-X exposed at EI 400 does the job just fine:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

For indoors shots I've used T-Max P3200 exposed at EI 3200 with great results. I don't have any scans of those, though.

• Like 6

Both with trix shot and developed at 400. Was not yet developing at home but I believe they used d-76

Night or low light in general?

• Like 6

I went down an incredibly dark tin mine museum in Cornwall 2 years ago and used HP5 at 3200 developed in Tmax. The results were very pleasing. Leicaflex SL2, 80mm Summilux R f1.4. Correct exposure is critical though at such a level of push.  

• Like 5

delta3200 exposed at 1600 and processed in ddx at 3200. 

Will try to dig out some colour shots 😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Hello, 

Is this ok for me to start an image thread about night film photography ? In 2020, i rediscovered shooting film after a decade of digital. In 2021, I’m seriously considering to ditch digital for 99% of my photography and going back almost exclusively to film. The only thing that is still holding me back is low light photography. It is where i am still struggling a little to achieve results that please me. 

I know there are ways, but i know it takes a lot of experimenting with pushing films, and picking the right stock. 

I thought it would be great to benefit of long experience of some of the forum’s film shooters. 

Any advice is welcomed, but i hope this will end up being an image thread. Looking forward to see your low light film photography. Don’t forget to mention the stock used, and wether you shot it at boxspeed, or developed it with special instructions ! 

Cheers, 

Steven 

For what it's worth Steven I would experiment with Tri X at higher ISO ratings should you need that ASA speed / sensitivity. You have I think  a few good choices of fast lenses and you seem to prefer to shoot wide open so that of course helps with getting a decent exposure. For most situations Tri-X rated at 800 ASA and mildly push processed in D76 has worked well for me. It tends, for me anyway, to fall apart if rated and shot higher than 1000 ASA. 

Pushing film will show grain more but I like "grainy" looks anyway so I'm not too bothered when that shows, and Tri-X's grain pattern is something that has always appealed to me.

Kodak Tmax 3200 I have used quite successfully in the past, but not recently............generally I prefer to stick with Tri-X and find a way to make that work.

Colour stocks I rarely use, preferring B&W film imaging, so I can't offer you too much advice there except that Kodak's Vision 3 T500 5219 would be an obvious choice to try if I felt I wanted to shoot colour. I've successfully used that stock on cinema projects rated at +800 ASA and push processed without any real adverse effect when printed and projected large....and of course when transferred to digital files that process alone can improve a marginal image very well if needs be, so I'd give that a whirl.

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Steven:

Tri X at 800, although im looking for higher speed to match my digital use. 

TriX works also well between 1600 and 6400 and TmaX P3200 at even higher iso´s. ( The Ilford Variants Hp5 and Delta 3200 work equally well, its just a question of preferences ) 

Right exposure and Processing ( Developer, dilution, time, agitation )  is the key. 

A Flash also works great. I prefer giving the film as much light as possible trough the shutter ( natural light ) and to also use flash. But Obviously you can also use the flash as your only light source.

Portra 400 and 800 also work well pushed to 3200 / 6400. Obviously you also need to expose right and there will not be the same flexibility as with normal development.

Edited by Kriehuber
  • Like 1

at 800ASA, in available light on the street

Leica iiif + Canon 50mm LTM + Cinestill 800T

• Like 7

Leica iiif Nippon Kogaku 50mm LTM, Kodak Portra 800ASA

• Like 4

Leica M5 + Canon 50mm F1.4 LTM + Ilford Delta 3200

• Like 3

Leica M5 + Canon 50mm F1.4 LTM + Ilford Delta 3200

• Like 2

Leica M5 + 50mm Summilux ASPH + LOMO 800ASA

• Like 4

Leica M5 +50mm Summilux ASPH + CineStill 800T

• Like 5

• Like 4

Leica M5 + 50mm Summilux ASPH + CineStill 800T

Nameless-Faceless

• Like 3

I prefer pushed HP5 but Kodak Tmax p3200 does produce good, if more grainy, results. Leicaflex SL2, 80mm Summilux R f1.4, Tmax p3200 in Tmax

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Kriehuber said:

Portra 400 and 800 also work well pushed to 3200 / 6400. Obviously you also need to expose right and there will not be the same flexibility as with normal development.

Portra 800 pushed at 3200? that's the first time i hear it gives good results ! 

3 hours ago, frame-it said:

at 800ASA, in available light on the street

Leica iiif + Canon 50mm LTM + Cinestill 800T

Thank you for these examples. 

While they prove that prove that night photography on film is totally achievable, and while i like a lot these images, i still have not been able to be convinced by the look of film at night. 

I love the look of film with good light, the colors and textures it produces. But so far, i still have to see some night film photography that i prefer over digital.