Which film stock do you shoot at night ? Image thread

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

EPP was my favorite.
Sri Lanka's Esala Perahera, celebration of Buddha's tooth.
M6 TTL 0.85 and 28mm.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

EPP was my favorite.
Sri Lanka's Esala Perahera, celebration of Buddha's tooth.
M6 TTL 0.85 and 28mm.

Now this is looking great to me... but what film stock is that ? 

1 hour ago, Steven said:

While they prove that prove that night photography on film is totally achievable, and while i like a lot these images, i still have not been able to be convinced by the look of film at night. 

Frankly, I find the look of film at night much nicer than the plastic look of those ultra-perfect digital images. I like the look of film at night precisely because it isn't perfect.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Although the low light capabilities of digital are amazing, and I do take advantage of them, I usually want my pictures to look like what I saw at the time, and digital at night often loses the look I want. I guess I like the film look better because I've used it in very low light since the 1960s when I would shoot TriX rated at 1200 developed in Acufine. Yes, it would often need longer than comfortable exposures (often 1/15th or 1/8th sec) and sometimes a full second - all handheld but braced.

I have used digital for landscapes at night with starry skies, but can't show here as it wasn't Leica...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TomB_tx said:

Although the low light capabilities of digital are amazing, and I do take advantage of them, I usually want my pictures to look like what I saw at the time, and digital at night often loses the look I want.

Exactly. Digital often makes a night scene look better and clearer than it looks to the naked eye. Which is wrong.
This effect is even worse when it's almost night.

Edited by Vlad Soare

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Allow me to post a very interesting conversation from 10 years ago on Flickr, according to which the king of light for colour is … portra 400. 

According to these guys, portra 400 shot at 1600 looks better than portra 800 at 1600. Portra 400 seems to have enough latitude to be shot between 100 and 1600 without pushing or pulling and still get good results. 
As a matter of fact, someone there even shot portra 400 at 3200 and only pushed one stop with great results. Fascinating. 

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1227372@N20/discuss/72157627923115929/

• Like 1

I’ve always loved the look of 3200TMZ at night, especially rainy urban shots. I’m grateful Kodak renewed this film. The graininess accentuates the mood and atmosphere.

Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh 

M6, Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 Super-Wide Heliar (V1 with adapter)
P3200TMZ (exposed and processed at ISO 3200), HC-110B

Edited by cobbu2
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Steven said:

Allow me to post a very interesting conversation from 10 years ago on Flickr, according to which the king of light for colour is … portra 400. 

According to these guys, portra 400 shot at 1600 looks better than portra 800 at 1600. Portra 400 seems to have enough latitude to be shot between 100 and 1600 without pushing or pulling and still get good results. 
As a matter of fact, someone there even shot portra 400 at 3200 and only pushed one stop with great results. Fascinating. 

That's really interesting 

13 hours ago, Steven said:

nice, except that he shot 120 film on a Hasselblad 500C + 80mm f/2.8 for those 3 PDN shots, that adds another variable to the discussion.

Edited by frame-it

Minox GT-E Portra 400@800

• Like 6

Leica M2 Elmarit 28 mm Asph RPX 400@800

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1