M7 on/off switch

On 9/15/2021 at 8:50 AM, Steven Seven said:

unless you cock the shutter AND press the button, which is impossible to happen accidentally.

Really? Just cock the shutter, decide not to take the shot and drop the camera into your bag... 🤣

• Like 2

On 9/15/2021 at 7:50 AM, Steven Seven said:

Also, how does a dying battery affect camera operation?

Going back to your original post, with a flat battery on an M7 you are left with just two shutter speeds, perhaps you should read the instruction manual? Of course, judging by some of your ill thought out comments, this could be just another troll posting.

15 hours ago, Matlock said:

Going back to your original post, with a flat battery on an M7 you are left with just two shutter speeds, perhaps you should read the instruction manual?

Perhaps you need to work on your reading comprehension? Why would I ask about something that's in the manual? Go and re-read what I wrote. I wasn't asking about dead-battery operation. I was asking about changes in camera's behavior as a battery approaches end of life. 

You posted twice into my thread and both times you're not answering the questions, just spitting mild insults. Do you want me to adopt your preferences for camera ergonomics? Why not help me adapt the M7 to my away of shooting? Especially if it may be as simple as saying "Hey, Steven, you can leave the switch in ON position and you can expect X rolls or Y months". Too hard? Why did you feel the need to convince me that the "switch is fine"? I have the camera right here, I can make my own assessment.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, Helge said:

I think you just have no technical background at all or let's say higher education. It is neither a simple challenge nor is the outcome (using a switch) a bad result, its is exactly what is required. Reading you "special" language - maybe you are just a troll who even doesn't own any camera (for sure no Leica) 😀

Ok, ignoring another round of insults (I am starting to see a trend here), let me just add that even in my modest collection of cameras, I have four that:

• Use a battery to operate both shutter and a meter
  • Can be operated with just two controls: rewind + shutter button

Nikon FM3a, Fuji GF670, Bronica GS-1 and Mamiya 645 Pro TL. All of them follow the rewind+shoot rhythm that I prefer. Some have a switch, but it can be left in ON for years. So, two controls instead of three. That's what I am used to, and being disappointed by an additional switch and the drain-battery-whle-doing-nothing behavior of the M7 is not unreasonable. At least among normal people...

Just the fact that you keep posting this irrelevant dogmatic nonsense instead of just answering my question is quite emblematic of this place.

Adios, grandpas. Keep screaming at the moon.

Edited by Steven Seven
  • Haha 1

On 9/17/2021 at 3:23 AM, Steven Seven said:

Perhaps you need to work on your reading comprehension? Why would I ask about something that's in the manual? Go and re-read what I wrote. I wasn't asking about dead-battery operation. I was asking about changes in camera's behavior as a battery approaches end of life. 

You posted twice into my thread and both times you're not answering the questions, just spitting mild insults. Do you want me to adopt your preferences for camera ergonomics? Why not help me adapt the M7 to my away of shooting? Especially if it may be as simple as saying "Hey, Steven, you can leave the switch in ON position and you can expect X rolls or Y months". Too hard? Why did you feel the need to convince me that the "switch is fine"? I have the camera right here, I can make my own assessment.

You could have simply asked how long the batteries likely last if the on/off switch isn't utilised. Instead, you described the design as fucked-up, etc. You can hardly therefore complain if it generates a wider discussion about the on/off switch. It strikes me as a bit pointless complaining about the camera design now. It came out in 2003 and has been discontinued for a year or more. It's a bit Johnny-come-lately to start a whinge about the design now. 😂

Rather than complain about the quality of responses in a camera forum, why not just find out the answer for yourself? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1