Scanner for 35mm

bdolzani

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 hours ago, George Stoichev said:

Hi,

I bought Plustek 8200 Ai (the most expensive version) a year ago.

The quality of the scann is much better than Epson 850V.Honestly this is the best scanner you can buy today brand new!

!!! Don’t buy 8200 Ai version !!!

The price of this version is more expensive because of the higher version of SilverFast software coming with it.I decided not to save money, but to have better version, but few days ago I sent it back to amazon.

Buy cheaper version of Plustek (not Ai), the hardware is absolutely the same + buy Vuescan  !!! The quality of the images I obtain with Vuescan has nothing in common with even higher version of SilverFast.

I am reading that the PlusTek is terribly show at higher resolution. What are your experciences?

12 hours ago, Michael Hiles said:

Hi Michael,

I certainly do. It is what I have been referring to in the last few days.  I should be precise - I scanned it some years ago, and I have been looking at the PDF file. I have not looked at the paper version in some time.

Hello Michael,

Don't worry, I will mail you another in the snail mail. I have your address.

Best Regards,

Michael

On 10/13/2021 at 10:26 PM, grahamc said:

Oh great thanks. Actually my local store only has the standard 8200i anyway so this could work. Actually I thought there was some advantage with regards dust removal in the Ai version - or is that controlled by the software, perhaps ? 

I’m new to this so can’t remember exactly just remember something dust related being discussed .  Thanks again! 

The dust removal feature is part of the hardware! Each software can access it.

regular version of SilverFast supports it, but I highly recommend VueScan

• Thanks 1

For scanning slides my recommendation would be a Reflecta/Braun scanner from the DigitDia series. These are automated scanners that can scan entire magazines on their own. This is really an important feature if your collection is quite large. I would just buy an older model on Ebay and resell it after scanning the collection.

18 hours ago, Gobert said:

I’m looking for a scanner to scan framed dia positives from my childhood, no perfect pictures, just memories.

This thread (and many more other threads) is all about that.

Not one solution for all.

Reading carefully these threads may give you some ideas to do so.

- film dedicated scanner, my first choice

- DSLR scan as experimentation, not bad

- digital M scanning, my last type, without abandoning the first type when I want something homogeneous for a set of Kodachrome, for example

Anyway each 'solution' has strong and less strong features concerning resolution/easy/hard/quick/slow/etc.

Choose one scanning type, then use to see if it suites for the required job.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

This thread (and many more other threads) is all about that.

Not one solution for all.

Reading carefully these threads may give you some ideas to do so.

- film dedicated scanner, my first choice

- DSLR scan as experimentation, not bad

- digital M scanning, my last type, without abandoning the first type when I want something homogeneous for a set of Kodachrome, for example

Anyway each 'solution' has strong and less strong features concerning resolution/easy/hard/quick/slow/etc.

Choose one scanning type, then use to see if it suites for the required job.

Thanks. My preference would be a film dedicated scanner as well. To be used on a cold and wet winter day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gobert said:

Thanks. My preference would be a film dedicated scanner as well. To be used on a cold and wet winter day.

See my post #2.

Good dedicated 'old/discontinued' ( hardware/software not supported anymore) film 135 scanner like Nikon Coolscan V ED is as good or better than many new scanners (which I don't use).

But beware of compatibility with new computers or use with newer software.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 2:06 AM, George Stoichev said:

The dust removal feature is part of the hardware! Each software can access it.

regular version of SilverFast supports it, but I highly recommend VueScan

Brilliant thanks - sorry for the late reply , I posted these Q's in this area of the forum and then forgot to check back in