Overgaard Q2 online master class?

4 minutes ago, SoCalLeicanator said:

Has anyone shelled out the hefty fee for this one? Worth it?

i didn't pay full price and indeed got a bundle for $99 with it and much much more included. but the video isn't worth even a fraction of that because nearly all the things worth knowing (technical stuff and operating and configuring the camera) are in the overpriced book and in the free review. at least i think the review is open to anyone. if you already know the basics of photography it will bore you to tears as he wipes down a park bench with a handkerchief and takes a half dozen light readings and the included exercises are at the first grade level if you've shot for any length of time. 

hcb wept. :)

/guy

Edited by gteague
  • Thanks 5

58 minutes ago, SoCalLeicanator said:

Has anyone shelled out the hefty fee for this one? Worth it?

You can get as much or more information and help on this forum - for free. Of course you will miss the "von" factor in that case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I took a couple of his workshops in Hollywood around 5 years ago.  He was nice enough to let my teenager son join the workshop for a substantial discount.  My son was new to photography and I really wanted to do something together with him.  So that was nice.  The in-person workshops aren't bad if you are a beginner or new to the Leica RF world.  They are pleasant experiences but don't expect to learn much if you are a moderately experienced photographer.  He did have a model for us for portraitures and he does inspire and motivate you to push your self during the workshop.  But that's probably the case with most workshops.  

I paid very little for the Q video so i didn't expect much and didn't get much.  Spends time on basics which you certainly already have proficiency at.  Seems to gloss over important stuff, as if he'll come back to that later, but never does.  Our other Forum members are the best sources for all you'll ever need to know. Put your money toward membership.

Maybe it’s just me, but I look at the quality of the images a photographer produces, because of they can’t consistently produce memorable, meaningful work themselves, it’s highly doubtful they’ll be able to teach you to do so. Some of these teachers are more effective at selling than they are at creating.

Not sure why anyone would need to take a class on how to use the Q if one knows the basics of photography - it’s one of the simplest, most direct and useable cameras available today. 

• Like 2

On 9/15/2021 at 4:23 PM, ajmarton1 said:

I took a couple of his workshops in Hollywood around 5 years ago.  He was nice enough to let my teenager son join the workshop for a substantial discount.  My son was new to photography and I really wanted to do something together with him.  So that was nice.  The in-person workshops aren't bad if you are a beginner or new to the Leica RF world.  They are pleasant experiences but don't expect to learn much if you are a moderately experienced photographer.  He did have a model for us for portraitures and he does inspire and motivate you to push your self during the workshop.  But that's probably the case with most workshops.  

My 2c, nothing beats going on an offline workshop. I did one with Mark Strachan here in Melbourne. He is a Leica ambassador. Model was part of it, lunch, review session and great laughs.
I think learning settings and techie stuff online is fine, but taking images with someone who does it as a profession and getting some instant feedback from him is in my opinion a bit better.
Not sure how much Mr. Overgraard charges and how well he is engaged. My 6 hour (took a bit longer which was nice) workshop was AUD $299 (US$218, EUR 185) and even months after Mark still responded to some questions.

Edited by rpoppes

Agreed. In-person instruction with a pro in the field tops an online video workshop any day.  But you should check out LACP (Los Angeles Center of Photography) workshops. I use to take them in person pre-COVID. They have great online courses with experienced instructors where you are given assignments and there’s a weekly zoom meeting and critique of everyone’s works. 

On 9/17/2021 at 11:22 AM, rpoppes said:

My 2c, nothing beats going on an offline workshop. I did one with Mark Strachan here in Melbourne. He is a Leica ambassador. Model was part of it, lunch, review session and great laughs.
I think learning settings and techie stuff online is fine, but taking images with someone who does it as a profession and getting some instant feedback from him is in my opinion a bit better.
Not sure how much Mr. Overgraard charges and how well he is engaged. My 6 hour (took a bit longer which was nice) workshop was AUD $299 (US$218, EUR 185) and even months after Mark still responded to some questions.

You can multiply that price by 10 but it does buy you a three day workshop.  Everything that Overgaard sells, from camera straps to workshops, is expensive.

On 9/15/2021 at 9:31 AM, cboy said:

Id suggest to take Joel Meyerwitz master class or  magnum  photographer Alexc Soth both informative.

Agreed. Both of these are excellent. And they're often discount, so search on Google to see if there are any codes around.