Panasonic Lumix 70-200 f4 with CL?

RickP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am seriously considering a 70-200 Lumix f4 for my CL.  I am running Firmware 4.0  .. do I need to upgrade the firmware for this lens to work properly?  Does the OIS system work well on cL?  Would anyone care to post a few of your best shots with this combo?

Thanks,

Rick

Edited by RickP

You should be fine with firmware 4.0 for the lens Rick, I think it was version 3.2 that was necessary for compatibility and OIS, which works just fine on the CL.  I had the lens for quite some time but decided on the Pan 70-300 for the extra reach and slightly smaller form.  

Not sure I have any "best" shots Rick, but a few below.

• Like 13

14 hours ago, Boojay said:

Not sure I have any "best" shots Rick, but a few below.

Made me smile, Jayne, these are splendid shots, esp. the last one which is just beautiful.  It's like the painting and eponymous title used for Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch.

I assume these were taken with the 70-200 Rick is asking about.  How does the 70-300 compare for image quality?

Also curious about size/weight and battery life, if you have noticed anything relevant.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rob, yes it was the 70-200 F/4 Panasonic Rick was asking about.  I think that lens is a smidge ahead of the Pan 70-300 IQ wise, most certainly in the 70-200 range anyway, after that the longer zoom wins😁.  The constant f/4 may be a consideration for some, the 70-300 at 70mm is f/4.5 and by 200mm is f/5.5.  Battery life on the CL is poor with both these lenses, OIS is power hungry.  I was out with the 70-300 on the CL for a couple of hours this morning and had loaded my third battery before heading home, was just my normal type of shooting while out walking with the dogs, will probably post a couple of shots in the CL image thread later if you're interested.

Weight and size of the 70-300 as I said above, is a slightly better fit on the CL.   The lenses are roughly the same diameter, both 77mm filter thread, with the 70-300 being around 200 grams lighter and a little over an inch shorter.   

I have always enjoyed a good 70-300 as a walk around lens, I had hoped the Panasonic would please me as much as my well used/loved Canon 70-300L has over the years, but it isn't quite there to my eye, it's not a lack of sharpness, the lens is really sharp, there is just something I can't quite put my finger on.  So, my conclusion on the Panasonic 70-300 is I'm glad Panasonic came out with one, I think the lens is overpriced, but it serves it's purpose for me at the moment.

• Thanks 3

A couple of shots with the CL and 70-300mm...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 1

I may have missed the focus here, normally sharper than this

Edited by hoolyproductions

Heavily cropped and sharpened

• Like 2

I located one!  Here is one of my first shot with my 70-200 Lumix f4 on the CL.  Lets face it - new tele lens - full moon - how could I not take a shot! It is actually quite sharp... even at f4!  It is heavier than the 55--135,  but not unwieldy. It does eat up batteries pretty fast,  as mentioned above..Bujt if you need the OIS it works quite well.  I tested several shots in the 1/30-1/50 sec.  with great sucess.  I really like the fact that the lens does not telescope out when moving up in power.  It is well made with seemingly great build quality.  So far so good.

Edited by RickP
typo
  • Like 4

Meanwhile, the only 'Wildlife' I came across today was a ferocious chipmunk sitting on a stump.  LOL

Rick

CL....Panasonic Lumix 70-200 f4

• Like 2

MHO.I have had both and used on the CL/SL/SL2. My feeling is that both are unremarkable, the f4 reminds me more of a CaNikon f2.8 with it's size and heft. Low light is where they struggle, I do a lot of shooting at sunset and these tele's just refuse to focus, the SL is a joke in this respect and the CL is just a notch above that. I'm talking low contrast scenes here, but even with the sun setting in the frame both the CL and Sl have refused to AF. I've given up using them in this scenario and just pull out another more capable body, with decent light and a contrasty edge to grab focus they are fine.

Further testing has revealed that this lens is sharp all the time .. also that this lens eats up battery power quite fast.  I just ordered another battery..LOL

CL - 70-200 Lumix - (2 miles away!)

• Like 4

More from the 70-200 Lumix  ...distance = 4' 

• Like 3