Alternative cover/case for M10?

Chazphoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I'm looking for a protective case or cover for the M10, which would protect against bumps and rubs and light rain, when travelling with one lens and before "deploying for action".  In that regard, it would be great if the case could also fold-up and be tucked into a pocket.

I have the Leica small neoprene case, which I've used with the M9 and M10, but it is baggy and when folded is bulky and awkward to stow.  It also has velcro which makes an awful noise when removing!  The Leica nappa leather cover is also a possibility, but that also has velcro fastening.  I think that Leica make a case for the Q which has magnetic closure, but I've not been able to confirm if that's coming for the M.

This is emphatically not a question about half-cases, which is all that turns up when I search!  I don't want to stir that nest....

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

Chazphoto

Edited by Chazphoto

Had experience with "eveready" leather case and neoprene case, and tried both in outdoor hiking in different weather conditions. Result: leather eveready case was destroyed by moisture within two weeks - parts started to detach, and it lost its shape. As for neoprene case, I'm still using it, and it still looks like new. As for protection, imho it is the best case for Leica. Not the most aesthetic one, but most convenient to use.

Years ago with a M2 I wanted the smallest ER case I could find to cover a collapsible Elmar 50, and I had a single piece one one made for me (Indochina) from soft leather. I think I made a paper model for them to work from. No catches/fasteners/clips: the top cover just pulled over the front for use; and the straps fed through slots in the side so the whole case as a whole could be pulled down and out of the way for changing film. The soft leather could be treated obviously, but I never used it regularly in heavy rain. Finding a local leather crafts person might help to get you exactly what you want.

If the velcro is the only or main irritation factor in the neoprene case, you could remove it and replace with after-market magnetic catches. I did this with a Domke FX5-B bag so I could use it in a quiet music recital room. I realise the neoprene case is bulky though - it's the reason I have never wanted one.

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions; I will look into the swapping of velcro for magnetic closure, though my stitching techniques are in need of perfection!  Agree that the leather-type would be more vulnerable to weather and that the neoprene has as bumper-like quality, but that is what makes it hard to compress and shove in a pocket, of course.  If I find something else I'll  report back.

Chazphoto