Leitz Summicron-C 40mm f2 - a little hidden gem appreciation thread

Monochrome_Man

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/19/2022 at 6:16 PM, downstairs said:

MM+Summicron 40mm (DIY 1.6mm shim to focus at 50cm).

Interesting: how did you make a shim of 1,6mm when there is a bayonet in place?

19 hours ago, Alberti said:

Interesting: how did you make a shim of 1,6mm when there is a bayonet in place?

Unscrewed the bayonet mount from the lens. Cut a ring from the cover of a Kodak darkroom manual with washer cutter. Cut the screw holes in the ring with a ticket punch. Screwed it all together again. A bit vandalic - the manual was from 1970 - but it was all I had near 1.6mm thick. When I win the lottery I'll get the new 35mm apo asph and remove the shim from my 40mm.

1 hour ago, downstairs said:

Unscrewed the bayonet mount from the lens. Cut a ring from the cover of a Kodak darkroom manual with washer cutter. Cut the screw holes in the ring with a ticket punch. Screwed it all together again. A bit vandalic - the manual was from 1970 - but it was all I had near 1.6mm thick. When I win the lottery I'll get the new 35mm apo asph and remove the shim from my 40mm.

This also screws the focus at any distance... do you exclusively shoot with evf?

22 hours ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

This also screws the focus at any distance... do you exclusively shoot with evf?

I have two Summicron 40mm lenses. One for outdoors, one for indoors. The shimmed one gets to about 45 cm focus which gives some 'attitude' to book-sized objects on a setup with surrounding space for atmosphere.

I tried an SL with the Vario lens for a year and found that I was always using it as a 40mm lens.  Too bulky so I gave it up.!

I use EVF for things that stand still and in particular for window light with wide aperture and stack-focus.

On 6/1/2022 at 8:56 PM, Cobram said:

maybe due to post-processing software...

Right, I using Kodachrome LRC preset but it only boost M8´s CCD image flavor.Of course Summicron -C gives it additional charm/character structure.

• 3 months later...

I have just managed to buy an 'Excellent +' copy of this lens with original caps and hood today. I will primarily use it on my M2, but it will also be used on my M10. Delivery tomorrow or Saturday hopefully, and then very much looking forward to trying it out. There are some lovely images in this thread 👌.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, Greenacres said:

I have just managed to buy an 'Excellent +' copy of this lens with original caps and hood today. I will primarily use it on my M2, but it will also be used on my M10. Delivery tomorrow or Saturday hopefully, and then very much looking forward to trying it out. There are some lovely images in this thread 👌.

congratulations.  I love this lens