A brief scare with my new MP

jackbaty

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Had a bit of a scare with my brand new Leica MP yesterday. Just over half-way through the second roll of the day, the film suddenly stopped advancing. The shutter wouldn't fire and the film advance just stopped, mid-stroke. It felt jammed. I couldn't believe that my expensive, brand new Leica was going to have to go back to Leica for repair. After removing the film, the shutter worked fine. I loaded a new roll and everything seemed OK. But, what had caused it? After processing both rolls, I noticed that the "jammed" roll was much shorter than it should've been. I wondered if it had torn and was somehow still stuck in the camera. Seemed unlikely. Then it came to me. I checked the empty film canister and, sure enough, it was a 24-exposure roll. I had simply run out of frames.  🥸

I'm an idiot, but happy that it wasn't a problem with the camera! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 11

8 minutes ago, jackbaty said:

Had a bit of a scare with my brand new Leica MP yesterday. Just over half-way through the second roll of the day, the film suddenly stopped advancing. The shutter wouldn't fire and the film advance just stopped, mid-stroke. It felt jammed. I couldn't believe that my expensive, brand new Leica was going to have to go back to Leica for repair. After removing the film, the shutter worked fine. I loaded a new roll and everything seemed OK. But, what had caused it? After processing both rolls, I noticed that the "jammed" roll was much shorter than it should've been. I wondered if it had torn and was somehow still stuck in the camera. Seemed unlikely. Then it came to me. I checked the empty film canister and, sure enough, it was a 24-exposure roll. I had simply run out of frames.  🥸

I'm an idiot, but happy that it wasn't a problem with the camera! 

I had a similar experience last year but it wasn't me. I loaded a 36 exp Rollei film and it stopped just like yours. On processing I found that it was a 24exp film that had been loaded in a 36exp cartridge. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

😉

Can we see some examples, please ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 1

My lens cap inside photos show less cushion distortion 😁

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

Thanks,

some light leak or the cap worn out.

yeah, I noticed that too. It is a little disconcerting to say the least.

This was a borrowed Summicron DR but, of course, that is (should be?) immaterial. I see similar defects on other photos made with this lens but not photos made with other lenses on the same roll....so, am blaming the lens for now. We shall see.

These photos are both from same roll of film. :(

Zeiss 35mm Biogon ZM

Summicron DR

Edited by BradS
to add labels to photos