Can I use Leica Redesign Options on my Leica M7?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello from Japan. I bought a used Leica M7 because it was a great price with two lenses. I love the features and proportions of the M7. Most of all, I love the fact that the camera was born in 2002 (I have a personal attachment to 2002). Of course, there is the issue of the repairability of the electronic shutter.
 Now, my Leica M7 that I bought is a bit scratched up. It's used, and it's an early model of the M7. But since it is my first Leica and I plan to travel with it until it is beyond repair, I want to freshen it up and make it beautiful. Initially, I was looking for a repainter, but I couldn't find one who repainted the M7, at least not in Japan. In the course of my research, I found out that Leica offers Redesign Options, and on Reddit I found a guy who had replaced the top cover of his M7.
 Is it possible to revive the Leica M7 with Leica's Redesign Options? Also, has anyone done that? I would like to do an overhaul on my Leica and replace the exterior parts at the same time. There is not much information about that. If the replacement of the exterior is not possible, I would like to engrave the print on the top cover.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. I heard that Leica Japan is a bit unresponsive on that front, so I'm asking here.

11 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

Did you check already at Kanto Camera in Japan?

http://www.kantocamera.com/english/index_english.html

Yes, I know. The most famous repainters in Japan are Kanto Camera and Lumiere. I heard that Lumiere does not support exposure meter cameras such as M5, M6, M7, etc. so I think Kanto Camera will not be able to do it either. However, I'm not sure that's absolutely true, so I'll inquire. Thanks!

Hello,

in your place I would fill the repair form at the end of this page, then wait for the answer from Leica

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/M-System-Service/Redesign?/switchlanguage/to/corposite_eng_us/171395

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

4 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

こんにちは、

あなたの代わりに、このページの最後にある修理フォームに記入して、ライカからの回答を待ちます

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/M-System-Service/Redesign?/switchlanguage/to/corposite_eng_us/171395

You're right, I just emailed Leica. I'm afraid she's going to throw me off lol.

Let me save you some time, I’ve exchanged emails with Leica about this all summer. 
Yes, it’s still possible to customize a used M7 via à la carte program. 
You need to send your camera with the repair form and the details of what you want. 
To give you an example of pricing and delay, converting your M7 into black paint will cost you around 1400 euros and the turnaround time is more or less 4 to 5 months. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Steven said:

Let me save you some time, I’ve exchanged emails with Leica about this all summer. 
Yes, it’s still possible to customize a used M7 via à la carte program. 
You need to send your camera with the repair form and the details of what you want. 
To give you an example of pricing and delay, converting your M7 into black paint will cost you around 1400 euros and the turnaround time is more or less 4 to 5 months. 

Thanks! I just received email from leica. And yes it is possible. But there is no excuse about cost. Your reply is really good for me! Then, the cost 1600 euros includes CLA cost?

vor einer Stunde schrieb FumihitoTF:

Thanks! I just received email from leica. And yes it is possible. But there is no excuse about cost. Your reply is really good for me! Then, the cost 1600 euros includes CLA cost?

Yes they always do complete service on camera send in.

Edited by Kriehuber

5 hours ago, Kriehuber said:

For M7s I think they include the change of the DX reader if it needs to be updated, but not the change of the MP viewfinder which I strongly recommend if you send your camera in. 

9 hours ago, Kriehuber said:

I see, thank you!

3 hours ago, Steven said:

For M7s I think they include the change of the DX reader if it needs to be updated, but not the change of the MP viewfinder which I strongly recommend if you send your camera in. 

The M7's viewfinder is horribly flaky... I'll try that! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Matlock said:

They did both on mine Steven.

Is that so? You will have to get an estimate. Thanks!

I just got the M7 really recently, so I will send it to Germany after I shoot some more film. If I hadn't asked the question here, I would have asked at GINZA. According to some people, GINZA would have kicked this off as impossible. I'll post again when I send the M7 to Germany and get a quote, and when the M7 comes back! Thanks to everyone who responded!

5 minutes ago, FumihitoTF said:

I just got the M7 really recently, so I will send it to Germany after I shoot some more film. If I hadn't asked the question here, I would have asked at GINZA. According to some people, GINZA would have kicked this off as impossible. I'll post again when I send the M7 to Germany and get a quote, and when the M7 comes back! Thanks to everyone who responded!

Leica has always done this with or without advertised service. You can also ask them to engrave your camera to your taste (e.g. your name, birthday, signature, whatever you like.)