Backing up photos to home Synology NAS from remote office

ymc226

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I currently edit photos using LR Classic in my office, located 10 minutes from my house, where the LR photos are located on an external RAID configured drive which is backed up to another external drive at the office. A back up copy of all the photos is kept at home in my very old Drobo NAS.   In order to keep files updated at home, I manually copy new photos to a portable drive and transfer it manually which gets cumbersome.  

I am trying to understand all the potential features of the Synology NAS products as they have more capabilities than just being a storage solution but want to confirm if any of their NAS devices can allow me from the office to download my photos to the home NAS device via the internet?  Has anyone done this and does it work well?  The reason I don't edit at home is that we downsized to less than half the house we had prior and there is simply no room to contain my computers, monitors and printer without  causing more grief to my wife.

The Synology NASes are perfectly useful for backing up your photos and more. However, making the device at home accessible from the internet might pose something of a challenge and requires some knowledge about configuring the router at home if you don't want to make it accessible to any and all.

I think the most straightforward way to do that would be to temporarily store your photos from the office to the cloud and fetching them to the Synology when you're home. I use pCloud for that (and more), because I don't like to entrust my files (photos and other) to Google, Dropbox and the such, but this is my personal preference.

On 9/11/2021 at 8:41 AM, ymc226 said:

I currently edit photos using LR Classic in my office, located 10 minutes from my house, where the LR photos are located on an external RAID configured drive which is backed up to another external drive at the office. A back up copy of all the photos is kept at home in my very old Drobo NAS.   In order to keep files updated at home, I manually copy new photos to a portable drive and transfer it manually which gets cumbersome.  

I am trying to understand all the potential features of the Synology NAS products as they have more capabilities than just being a storage solution but want to confirm if any of their NAS devices can allow me from the office to download my photos to the home NAS device via the internet?  Has anyone done this and does it work well?  The reason I don't edit at home is that we downsized to less than half the house we had prior and there is simply no room to contain my computers, monitors and printer without  causing more grief to my wife.

I'm a complete technophobe and I can confirm with Synology is as easy as anything to access and I've been doing this for years. Once you have your NAS set up, you can get several free apps for either iOS or Android, for example DS File, DS Photo, DS Video etc. and use these to keep in touch with your NAS remotely.

DS File lets you have full access to your NAS where you can download / upload any file you want. Photos can be set to upload automatically after you've set up what is basically your own personal cloud.

https://kb.synology.com/en-ca/DSM/help/PhotoStation/photo?version=6

Their website has a lot of help pages.

Great for me is to be visiting a friend and be able to call up any photo or video from the NAS and display it on the iPad. 

Well worth looking into, and if I can set it up, you can!

Edited by Geoff777

Thanks Geoff,

I set up my Synology 1621+ and confirmed that I can transfer files across the internet. Very useful. Not unexpectedly, there are many videos on YouTube that also advises on how to set up safety protection as much as can be expected. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ymc226 said:

Thanks Geoff,

I set up my Synology 1621+ and confirmed that I can transfer files across the internet. Very useful. Not unexpectedly, there are many videos on YouTube that also advises on how to set up safety protection as much as can be expected. 

Great, I'm glad you got it sorted. "Personal cloud" is the main reason I bought a Synology. Avoids all those monthly charges and is likely just as secure as iCloud or any of the other services.

I now use an iPad for work when out of the "office" rather than a laptop. Any files I need I can just download through DS File (obviously if you have an internet connection!)

Good luck and enjoy your Synology (you have a very nice model!)