SL2-S suddenly unresponsive

James1975

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Our of the blue nothing works as usual. I have to push and hold each button for at least 2 seconds to get a response. Touchscreen doesn’t work at all. Ditto the joystick. Reset hasn’t worked. Any ideas?
Battery icon takes ten seconds to appear when turned on  

Can’t take it into Leica until Monday…

thanks in advance. 

Edited by James1975

2 minutes ago, James1975 said:

Our of the blue nothing works as usual. I have to push and hold each button for at least 2 seconds to get a response. Touchscreen doesn’t work at all. Ditto the joystick. Reset hasn’t worked. Any ideas? Can’t take it into Leica until Monday…

thanks in advance. 

This sounds like a power supply issue. For good measure, and this may sound odd, maybe try a different SD card

Hypothetical - If you were offered a brand new SL2 or SL2-S for free, which would you choose?

Leica have been amazing. They are going to swap by broken 6-week-old SL2-S for a brand new one tomorrow in store. Now I have a dilemma - I can pay the difference and get the SL2 instead in the hope that the new software update is coming soon (they tell me they believe it is indeed coming soon albeit unconfirmed) or stick with the 24MP of the SL2-S. I do not use it for video and do like to crop landscapes. Given that, what would you do? The only other camera I have is the M10 monochrom and I'd like a weather proof colour option with plenty of detail.

I know it's been discussed ad nauseam but I find it an impossible question to answer and could do with some friendly advice...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BernardC said:

I think you know the answer. The SL2 is going to serve you better for landscape and cropping.

I think you know me better than I do. Yep. Going to pick up the SL2 tomorrow. Ordered a Sigma 85 1.4 Art to complement the 24-70 Leica. More detail, more ability to crop, and I rarely shoot above 6400. 

8 hours ago, James1975 said:

Hypothetical - If you were offered a brand new SL2 or SL2-S for free, which would you choose?

Leica have been amazing. They are going to swap by broken 6-week-old SL2-S for a brand new one tomorrow in store. Now I have a dilemma - I can pay the difference and get the SL2 instead in the hope that the new software update is coming soon (they tell me they believe it is indeed coming soon albeit unconfirmed) or stick with the 24MP of the SL2-S. I do not use it for video and do like to crop landscapes. Given that, what would you do? The only other camera I have is the M10 monochrom and I'd like a weather proof colour option with plenty of detail.

I know it's been discussed ad nauseam but I find it an impossible question to answer and could do with some friendly advice...

I recently purchased an SL2-S as backup for my SL2. I'd been using the CL, but found it clumsy (size wise) to use with long lenses. 

The more I'm using the SL2-S the more I'm liking the images it produces. The SL2-S images are definitely cleaner (less noise) & outstanding detail. On a recent safari I also tested the SL2-S at high ISO (12, 500 which is an area I never venture into ) & was amazed with the results, see here:  Leopard night shot

When it comes to birding I find the SL2 superior, the ability to crop makes a big difference with my bird photography.

I'm learning to use each camera for its own strengths & applications for my particular use.

Overall the SL2 in my view is the superior camera, others may have a different view.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...