M10-P ‘ASC 100 EDITION’ firmware on an M10P??

williamgor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Folks,I’m intrigued by the announcement of the ASC edition which has 2 “Cine Look” modes to reproduce analogue and digital “motion picture looks” and that there are frameline settings for cinema ratios. my question is whether one could install the asc firmware on an M10P? would love those settings on mine.

1 hour ago, Ecar said:

Not to mention that the two cine colour modes in the ASC are only JPG.

I suppose it shows the cinematic format as a crop, and despite cinematographers and Directors working with storyboards so they know what the crop will be and how the film will look before they look through the eyepiece what happened to that same skill to imagine a crop in photographers?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 250swb said:

I suppose it shows the cinematic format as a crop, and despite cinematographers and Directors working with storyboards so they know what the crop will be and how the film will look before they look through the eyepiece what happened to that same skill to imagine a crop in photographers?

It’s still there.  I do it all the time.  Shoot “square” shoot “pano” shoot “full frame”, etc.  I also like have lines too, it helps the detailed visualization, on those rare occasions…

• Like 1

I own an ASC edition M10-P and I have to admit, I never use the two cine colour modes nor the crop options.  I've tested them a couple times but I prefer the "stock" Leica color science and the conventional crop.

I am not a cinematographer but I happened to be shopping for an M10-P when my ASC edition came up for sale new (camera only; a set was broken up).  This is my first digital M and I enjoy using this stealthy, rare camera.

• Like 2

I recently saw a 2nd hand M10-P (silver) for sale advertised with the ASC software uploaded in the camera. It was sold quickly.

Can’t remember which of the shops, I follow. But either Leica Austria, Meister Camera (Germany) or Leica Italia.

So yes, it can be done in the M10P.

7 hours ago, 250swb said:

Isn't there enough software around at the moment that could do the same thing instead of buying an entire new camera?

Well, I suppose the OP was asking about a firmware ugrade precisely so that he wouldn't have to buy a new camera. ;)

2 hours ago, mcpallesen said:

I recently saw a 2nd hand M10-P (silver) for sale advertised with the ASC software uploaded in the camera. It was sold quickly.

Can’t remember which of the shops, I follow. But either Leica Austria, Meister Camera (Germany) or Leica Italia.

So yes, it can be done in the M10P.

I think it was listed with Meister Camera, I definitely saw it somewhere and thought it was odd.

AFAIK the ASC software is not available to download so maybe they had an M10 ASC edition already. I missed out on a copy from Leica Lisse where they split the kit as it sold just as I decided to get it...and I think due to the tax difference it was the same price as a regular M10-P in the US.

23 hours ago, williamgor said:

did you try it?

• 2 weeks later...