Let’s Start a new wish list for a SL3.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, robb said:

I received a survey from Leica a couple weeks ago which seemed focused on future SL model development.  Several questions on an articulated rear screen and how you would prefer it work.

I indicated I did not need or prefer an articulated or folding screen given the trade offs.  I also indicated main improvement wished for was higher speed continuous AF.

I covered many of the items we discussed here.  Not sure if anyone else received the survey.

Robb

Likewise, I did receive the survey. I'm pretty happy with what my current cameras deliver ( I still have the SL and the SL2). And I'm keeping them because they do different things for me. Image quality is still superb with the SL.

So an SL model with an articulating screen would be nice addition to cover my use case. I did ask for 16 bit color and leaf shutter sync capabilities for S lenses, in addition to view camera type of capabilities. A articulating screen will be a very useful addition in product photography as well as video. If their EVF can be articulated or linked by cable, I think I might like that.

I felt that Leica already have a vast range of lens designs for every format I need, it does make sense for them to make the reuse case for their lenses in a broader manner. Like S lenses for tilt shift on a 35mm sensor. It's cheaper than buying a different system to do other things. They could rehouse their S lenses in mechanical bodies more suited for view camera work where AF is not needed.

Regarding AF capabilities, I agree with other posters that processor speed and sensor output speed will be the key component to delivering superior continuous AF performance. That and better optimised software.

One other thing about AFC is to keep the camera very stable as you pan and follow. Lock your stance. It helps. It may not be Nikon, Sony and Canon great though : )

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have owned the SL2 since November 2019, I have used it in the studio , for street photography, wildlife, portraits, travel , just about anything you can imagine I have thrown at this camera .. Sl lenses , R lenses , M lenses and Canon super telephoto lenses all were fine . The only thing I would like to see on the next model is a phase detect auto focus. It just sucks in tracking fast moving subjects. Fix that and perfection is achieved.

I have two real requests: phase detection AF for better C-AF performance tiltable backsreen everything else ist just right how it is (for me).  

BM Raw would be great. In theory they could do 8K raw, given that the SL2 sensor already has more than the required 8192 pixels in the long dimension. Here's an idea I had back in the SL days. Leica can use it for the SL3: provide a "cine" battery grip that has holes for 15mm rods (follow-focus), XLR connectors, and a fast storage interface (M2 drive, or straight-to-USB3 raw recording).

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Michael Markey said:

I always delete the "examples" .

Its fine for most things it just isn`t a sports camera .

I take a lot of fast action for friends and it has trouble keeping up.

On the plus side I love the colour , ergonomics and the ease in which you can process the RAW files.

It does have tracking but its not very effective so I rarely use it.

The bottom line is that its contrast detect not phase so no amount of software enhancement is going to make much of a diff.

You just have to learn to live within its limitations if you can.

Easier said than done though when you have a good shot and the thing flakes out on you .

This sort of thing .

Both my Sony A7R2 ,which I used for years and I would venture also my Canon 5D3 , always nailed this type of shot.

I'm puzzled that this gives your setup so much difficulty. I would expect to nail this with the SL2S.

I have no horses, but I use the SL2S for theatre action in low light. Set to iAF and face recognition. My main problem is movement blur, not finding focus. This is probably around ISO 25000.

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I'm puzzled that this gives your setup so much difficulty. I would expect to nail this with the SL2S.

I have no horses, but I use the SL2S for theatre action in low light. Set to iAF and face recognition. My main problem is movement blur, not finding focus. This is probably around ISO 25000.

I agree ... I actually study your shots in detail .

It may well be that I need to explore a different technique with this camera than I used with the Sony

That quickly acquired focus and hung on in there .

The important distinction between your shooting and situation which I`m dealing with (and the example which I posted  is not a good example of this ) is the fact that my subjects appear quickly in the viewfinder moving at speed and often in quick succession.

The camera  can`t identify subject quickly enough .... focus lag  and if it does it soon loses them   .

Another issue is that I don`t have much of a choice as to where I position myself .

I have to be reasonably close and in front of them but the riders also have to be able to see me (hopefully) .

I fellow photographer got wiped out last week .... he`s ok fortunately.

What that means is the light isn`t always "right" for a contrast only system and I sometimes have to  play with the exposure .

In hindsight I made the wrong choice and should have gone for a Sony or Canon.

The SL2s is not a sports camera.

My assumption was that my old Sony from 2014 and the A7s of the same vintage were effective and focus system have improved since then so I`d be fine ....

It wasn`t that I shooting Formula One  , right , so a modern camera would have no difficulty.

I guess I underestimated the importance of phase detect ... my bad .

Shame because I like everything else about the camera but its frustrating when your`re shooting for people and you miss that important shot .

Then the fella with the old Canon DSLR comes over and he`s nailed it  ... as I once did.

Hoping somebody is going to prove me wrong  ... seriously  

Edited by Michael Markey

One the other hand it did well to hold focus in this situation where a number of riders decided to zip in front of me .

Shame that they obscured the frame .

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 minutes ago, Michael Markey said:

Focus issues especially with AFc  are often a cause for concern on the SL forums on the web.

I would think that will be reflected in the survey .

The survey was not specific to AF. 

Also there's not much that Leica can do, they depend on Panasonic for AF.

4 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

The survey was not specific to AF. 

Also there's not much that Leica can do, they depend on Panasonic for AF.

I didn`t think it was  .

If they can`t improve the AF because of corporate ties they may have a problem in broadening its appeal.

If so it wouldn`t surprise me that in future we will be back to just one model  ; the M

1 hour ago, Michael Markey said:

I didn`t think it was  .

If they can`t improve the AF because of corporate ties they may have a problem in broadening its appeal.

If so it wouldn`t surprise me that in future we will be back to just one model  ; the M

Panasonic is well aware their AF sucked big time, it was publicly aknowledged, and worked really hard to fix it. It's not perfect, but it has greatly improved compared to what it was 2 years ago.

It will be even better when new processors and sensors with faster readout speed will be implemented, closing the gap even more.

Leica won't limit itself to just one model, that is the sure way to commercial suicide. Place all your eggs in one basket, and the moment you fail, you're gone forever.