Jump to content

Let’s Start a new wish list for a SL3.


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have owned the SL2 since November 2019, I have used it in the studio , for street photography, wildlife, portraits, travel , just about anything you can imagine I have thrown at this camera .. Sl lenses , R lenses , M lenses and Canon super telephoto lenses all were fine . The only thing I would like to see on the next model is a phase detect auto focus. It just sucks in tracking fast moving subjects. Fix that and perfection is achieved.

I have two real requests: phase detection AF for better C-AF performance tiltable backsreen everything else ist just right how it is (for me).  

BM Raw would be great. In theory they could do 8K raw, given that the SL2 sensor already has more than the required 8192 pixels in the long dimension. Here's an idea I had back in the SL days. Leica can use it for the SL3: provide a "cine" battery grip that has holes for 15mm rods (follow-focus), XLR connectors, and a fast storage interface (M2 drive, or straight-to-USB3 raw recording).

There a relationship between flange-sensor distance, sensor/motherboard thickness and LCD thickness, different for each camera type. If you add a flip screen you add two thicknesses of plastic which is about 3 mm. So there would have to be a full redesign to decrease the space taken up inside the camera. With the M10, to attain "film M" thickness, Leica had to move the motherboard away from the back of the sensor to the side and fold  it. This took over a year of extra R&D and added considerably to the price of the camera - and lost functionality too. On the SL it would either thicken the camera or bloat the price. Both are less desirable.     

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder where this mantra comes from - Leica has always aimed at small segment of the market and has never had the ambition to become a mass producer, which is part of the high price. Could you share Leica's sales target with us - and the actual sales number, for that matter?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I wonder where this mantra comes from - Leica has always aimed at small segment of the market and has never had the ambition to become a mass producer, which is part of the high price. Could you share Leica's sales target with us - and the actual sales number, for that matter?

That's actually what people on this forum have been repeating all along, just use the search button above.

And that the Panasonics are not selling has been aknowledged by Panasonic itself. 

Edited by Simone_DF
Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hence "mantra" "People are just blowing smoke and parroting other posters. This is the Internet, remember. The only ones who know whether the camera is selling according to expectations are within Leica. And they are not telling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A prime example was the Leica S. In the years after the introduction, the forum was full of handwringing -"the camera is a flop, they cannot be selling more that three thousand a year!" In this case Leica gave their production target  at introduction - 1000 a year max. 🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just have a look at the prices.

The SL was 6500

The SL2 is 6000

The SL2-s is 4500

Then we have the SL2-s bundled with the 24-70 with a 500€ discount

Then they added the M-L adapter for free in the bundle, for another 350€ worth of saving.

What's next? An SL2-s body given away for free with any M11 purchase?

If the SL2s were selling well, we wouldn't see all these price drops

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not? Leica always had promotional actions on series that were running for a while. They have a production overcapacity at the introduction of a model to meet the first surge (which normally only half-succeeds at best) and during the production run fill the slack with special models and special offers. Nothing new there. Unlike Sony, who will throw a new model against the wall and hope that it sticks as soon as the demand follows its natural curve.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Just have a look at the prices.

The SL was 6500

The SL2 is 6000

The SL2-s is 4500

SL was the most expensive FF Leica you could buy from new, and it's easy to understant b/c it was an all new line, all new mount, all new optics....etc.

SL2 is builidng on this and a lot of cost-cutting thanks to panasonic buyings some of the parts in bulk and then Leica takes what it needs to make-adjust-fit- some of the insides of the SL2.

SL2-S uses a 3yo plus Sony sensor and all the money spent on Steve McCurry for the SL2 launch doesn't need to go out again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Do you mean like Panasonic and the already discontinued S1R and S1?

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/panasonic-lumix-s1r-digital-camera-body-1690258/

Thsi happened before at Wex, beware.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4491601
 

Surely the S1 mkII is nearer than the initial lauch of mk1, but who cares, really.


Edit: I do b/c I would love to have a S1H II....

Edited by Slender
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Slender said:

Thsi happened before at Wex, beware.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4491601
 

Surely the S1 mkII is nearer than the initial lauch of mk1, but who cares, really.


Edit: I do b/c I would love to have a S1H II....

Yes, but it's the same everywhere. Both BH and Adorama have the S5 and the S1H ready in stock, but the S1R and the S1H as "special order".

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Slender said:

SL was the most expensive FF Leica you could buy from new, and it's easy to understant b/c it was an all new line, all new mount, all new optics....etc.

Right. Then the M11 should cost about 1000€, because all the tech cost has been recovered since 1954

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Yes, but it's the same everywhere. Both BH and Adorama have the S5 and the S1H ready in stock, but the S1R and the S1H as "special order".

Older models that have been out for over 2 years are low in stock? That's not bad news. I suspect we'll hear rumours of an S1R replacement any day now. Not sure about the S1, since the S5 and S1H overlap its feature set.

Panasonic has released several lenses this year, so they seem to think that there's a future in the L-Mount.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BernardC said:

Older models that have been out for over 2 years are low in stock? That's not bad news. I suspect we'll hear rumours of an S1R replacement any day now. Not sure about the S1, since the S5 and S1H overlap its feature set.

Panasonic has released several lenses this year, so they seem to think that there's a future in the L-Mount.

I do believe Panasonic has enough money to support the L mount until it catches up and won't stop supporting it

Yes you're right, I don't see a S1 replacement.

As for the S1R, I think we may see a S5R rather than a S1RII, since the S5 has been their most succesfull camera 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Right. Then the M11 should cost about 1000€, because all the tech cost has been recovered since 1954

Well the rangefinder alone "true price" to manufacture is around 800 euros, so no 😅. And you know that electronics are hard to cramp in that tight body (the famous folded motherboard of the m10, the legendary mircolenses to bend light on the edge of the sensor on the M9 etc.... especially on top of that it seems Leica has changed sensor manufacturer for each generation of digital cameras after M8/9 (Kodak USA) M240 (STMicroelectronics  Belgium-France...).... M10???? SL2 (TowerJazz, Israel?) SL2s (Sony)... and at small volumes so sadly, the digital M remain expensive on top of all the marketing bullshit they allocate to the M -luxury- branch.

Its the M-A which price should be far lower.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...