Let’s Start a new wish list for a SL3.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have owned the SL2 since November 2019, I have used it in the studio , for street photography, wildlife, portraits, travel , just about anything you can imagine I have thrown at this camera .. Sl lenses , R lenses , M lenses and Canon super telephoto lenses all were fine . The only thing I would like to see on the next model is a phase detect auto focus. It just sucks in tracking fast moving subjects. Fix that and perfection is achieved.

I have two real requests: phase detection AF for better C-AF performance tiltable backsreen everything else ist just right how it is (for me).  

The SL cameras are already more than good enough for me. My wish is that they are still taking great photos in 15 years time and so am I. More battery life is always welcome. I'm not interested in more features.

Real needs:

Better battery life.  

integrated grip into one piece body with the above… I’m ok with a slightly taller body to get better battery life and allow full video needs.

brighter rear screen for viewing in sun / bright daylight.  Needs to be iPhone bright.  Just can’t see a hail marry shot over a fence for example.

make it 5 stop over or under comp using thumb dial instead of current 3 stops.

did they fix 4K options yet because of lens and battery limitations?

high speed drive and some video features not available for use with the sigma adapter / canon lenses.

better DR for highlights

iphone remote can not trigger the shutter in multi shot mode.  This would help with lowering vibrations with only a two second delay.  In multi shot mode they should also allow a 10 second delay to settle any vibrations.  I don’t need to see the multi shot giant images on the iPhone.  I just want it to work correctly as a remote…

I should mention, I love my SL2.  Great camera.

thanks.

Robb

8 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

Is that really necessary ? Anybody cares?

Strangely, they care enough to post here - odd.

I'm still exploring the possibilities of the SL2-S, and it may be that the things I might wish for can be provided in firmware. They concern video:

• Record via HDMI direct to SSD, like the Sigma fp. For static video of (e.g.) stage performances, recording to a large external device like an Atomos Ninja V is way OTT and bulky.
  • Record Cinema4K in ALL-I at 60fps or faster.
  • Record video in raw.

Only the first is particularly important to me. The others would be 'nice to have'.

10 hours ago, robb said:

high speed drive and some video features not available for use with the sigma adapter / canon lenses

It's a limitation of adapted lenses. Canon doesn't use the same logic for AFC, so EOS lenses don't provide information that the camera needs for this feature. Same issue with power consumption: it's OK with L-Mount lenses, but EOS lenses can't tell the camera how much power they need. To be fair, the EOS protocol dates-back to the previous century. If you ran-out of power, you could just pop-in any battery. Film was simpler that way.

10 hours ago, robb said:

better DR for highlights

That's been discussed in other threads. Try using a higher EI, around 400 or 800.

EI 100 limits the amount of headroom in the highlights, because it's already on the brink of over-exposure. The flip-side of that is EI 100 allows you to lift shadows by a huge amount. You basically have approximately 12 stops of DR to use (depending on who is measuring...). EI 50 and 100 distribute most of that DR in the shadows. 400/800 are more balanced. Higher EIs have lots of headroom, but the shadows will hit the sensor's noise floor.

One other add I’d liked to see is selecting a 1/focal length for minimum shutter speed if using auto iso.

That would be easier than a specific minimum speed in some cases.  

if the SL2 has this option, I haven’t found it.

Robb

I have owned the SL2 since November 2019, I have used it in the studio , for street photography, wildlife, portraits, travel , just about anything you can imagine I have thrown at this camera .. Sl lenses , R lenses , M lenses and Canon super telephoto lenses all were fine . The only thing I would like to see on the next model is a phase detect auto focus. It just sucks in tracking fast moving subjects. Fix that and perfection is achieved.

As far as hardware changes go, I would love to see the following:

• 13-14 stop dynamic range at ISO 100 with 16bit raw output
  • 1 stop improvement at ISO 12500+ as compared to SL2-S
  • Resolution of the SL2
  • 150-200g weight reduction compared to the SL2 and SL2-S
  • Viewfinder with slightly higher maximum brightness compared to the SL2 and SL2-S
  • Phase detect auto focus and Canon/Sony level eye detect AF-C for both people, animals and birds
  • Actually useable and reliable geotagging via both onboard GPS and Fotos app

Anti-dust features to prevent or remove dust getting on the sensor when changing lenses.

Sensor cleaning mode for when the above does not work perfectly.

Better support for non-Leica lenses (to avoid the warnings about 'low battery' when using them).  For example, you can even get this when using manual focus lenses.

And a complete manual (the left hand side ports are not even mentioned in the SL2 manual).

More battery life through a more economic sensor and processor and EVF is always welcome. And/or through a newer gen lithium battery (of equal size). But changing the form factor of the battery would mean a lot of extra cost for relatively little gain. Now when using external batteries I have already 5 times or more power. This is clever and inexpensive.

The auto focus is lagging way behind for a Camera of this caliber, the highest price Mirrorless full frame should be the state of art in its class

everything  in the SL2 is perfect except for the Autofocus ,phase detect sensor will take care of that and yes better battery life will be very welcome 

throw in a 60mpx sensor and offer a chrome version for bonus