Please suggest how to use TL2

nuchun

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi. I've just found this forum last night. Nice to meet you all.

I have LEICA TL2 with 18-56 kit lens. I used LUMIX before so I'm quite new with Leica please suggest me.

1. My photos with Leica TL2 (auto focus) some are quite soft at focus. Right now, I use spot focus > half press > adjust the composition and press the shutter. Some photo is OK. Some is out of focus. Please suggest me about how I should do with setting autofocus/shutter mode (touch af/spot etc. and AFS or AFC). Is it a must to use manual focus? If you have any technics to share, please teach me.

2. I'm interested to buy a fixed lens. I prefered the light-weighted and compact lens for travelling and capture everyday's life. I'm comparing between Sigma 30 mm. or Leica TL 23 mm. Which one you guys recommended? I really love the Leica neutral color that I took with 18-56 kit lens (as photo that I attached). Leica lens might be the same result, however, sigma seems easier to use. I'm not sure if I use Sigma lens, it will effect with the color tone or not. If anyone who use TL2 and have these lenses, please post your photos (with neutral color must be very very appreciated). 

I'm waiting for you all reply.

Please share what you think and suggest me. 

Thank you in advance.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Hi nuchun, welcome to the forum.

I also have the TL2, but not the zoom you have.  I have the Super-Vario-Elmar-T 11-23 zoom and the 35 Summilux-T prime.  When I want something more compact, I use my 28 Summaron-M and 35 Summilux-M pre-asph, with M-L adapter (the equivalent full frame focal lengths are 42mm and 52mm).  I love this little camera.

It sounds as if you are focusing incorrectly.  If you use spot focus, and then recompose, the chances are you are consistently back focusing.  In the Auto Focus Mode page of the camera menu, you have 6 different focus options - Spot (you have to set the point you want focused in the sub-menu); 1 Point (which seems to be set in the centre of the frame); Multi-Point, which I find the least accurate, as I like to choose what I’m focusing on; Touch AF, which I use the most;  Touch AF + Release (which can be useful on a tripod etc); and Face Detection (which I never use).  It’s worth taking the time to work out which you like best for your shooting style.

Generally, if you like to compose wit the subject off-centre, then I would suggest Touch AF is the best option - compose the image, touch what you want in focus, and the little box should turn green, then you’re good to go.  If you use Spot, you can also move the focusing point around, but that is in the menu setting.  If you use 1 Point, the focal point stays in the centre of the frame (well mine does - I haven’t found a way to move it).

If you imagine the plane of best focus being at right angles to the line from the centre of your lens to the subject you focus on, then imaging rotating your camera so that your subject is now off-centre, the plane of best focus will have moved behind your subject.  I’d draw a picture, if I had the skills.  Most of the time, it won’t matter, as the depth of field should cover the subject, but wide open it might be more of a problem.  Wide open images do tend to be softer anyway …

I hope this helps.

As for lenses, the 35 Summilux-T is fantastic, but large and expensive.  You could try the small M lenses, with an M-L adapter; second hand lenses can be reasonably priced, and give interesting results.  

TL2 with Summitar-TLM 50/2 (from 1948):

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IkarusJohn said:

Hi nuchun, welcome to the forum.

I also have the TL2, but not the zoom you have.  I have the Super-Vario-Elmar-T 11-23 zoom and the 35 Summilux-T prime.  When I want something more compact, I use my 28 Summaron-M and 35 Summilux-M pre-asph, with M-L adapter (the equivalent full frame focal lengths are 42mm and 52mm).  I love this little camera.

It sounds as if you are focusing incorrectly.  If you use spot focus, and then recompose, the chances are you are consistently back focusing.  In the Auto Focus Mode page of the camera menu, you have 6 different focus options - Spot (you have to set the point you want focused in the sub-menu); 1 Point (which seems to be set in the centre of the frame); Multi-Point, which I find the least accurate, as I like to choose what I’m focusing on; Touch AF, which I use the most;  Touch AF + Release (which can be useful on a tripod etc); and Face Detection (which I never use).  It’s worth taking the time to work out which you like best for your shooting style.

Generally, if you like to compose wit the subject off-centre, then I would suggest Touch AF is the best option - compose the image, touch what you want in focus, and the little box should turn green, then you’re good to go.  If you use Spot, you can also move the focusing point around, but that is in the menu setting.  If you use 1 Point, the focal point stays in the centre of the frame (well mine does - I haven’t found a way to move it).

If you imagine the plane of best focus being at right angles to the line from the centre of your lens to the subject you focus on, then imaging rotating your camera so that your subject is now off-centre, the plane of best focus will have moved behind your subject.  I’d draw a picture, if I had the skills.  Most of the time, it won’t matter, as the depth of field should cover the subject, but wide open it might be more of a problem.  Wide open images do tend to be softer anyway …

I hope this helps.

As for lenses, the 35 Summilux-T is fantastic, but large and expensive.  You could try the small M lenses, with an M-L adapter; second hand lenses can be reasonably priced, and give interesting results.  

TL2 with Summitar-TLM 50/2 (from 1948):

Wow. Thank you very much for your reply. I didn't expect someone will reply me fast like this! 

I used Touch AF function sometimes. However, when I take a picture of people who stand quite far from me, it seems the focus block is too big to focus only the eyes. When I touch on the overall face, it looks soft at the eyes. Anyway, I will follow and practice from what you recommened. Really thank you that you explain in detail. 😃 

About the mount adapter, can I ask you the brand of your mount adapter? I found the M-L adapter on the online shopping in Thailand but it seems to have closer focus and use manual focus. Is it the same? I've already attached what I found in the attachment. I saw Leica M lens in the secondhand shop too but I'm not sure about the mount adapter so I didn't interested in it before. If you recommend to have this option too, I will reconsider it. 😀

Edited by nuchun

5 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

I use the Leica L-M Adapter.  M lenses are manual focus lenses, so there is no AF.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1046772-REG/leica_18771_m_adapter_t_for_leica_t.html

Oh~ I've just known that Leica has official adapter. Thank you for your information. 😀

55 minutes ago, wda said:

I don't have a TL, but I am sure there is a way to adjust the position of the single point. Have you tried long-pressing the single point? The symbol changes and you can move it.

Let me check and try and will update you later. Thank you for your reply. 😆

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I only use my TL2 with the touch focus option, using the index finger to select the focus point on the screen.  When the  focus indicator turns green to signify focus lock, I then hold the camera more conventionally to maintain steadiness and release the shutter.  I also have the camera programmed to auto ISO with a max of 6400 and a minimum shutter speed that 1/125 given my age and my hands not being as steady as they once were.

I have used touch AF + release while walking backwards taking pictures of my daughter walking our dog on a sunny day using the native 23 Summicron and a high majority of the shots were in focus.  Overall, I am quite happy with the whole system, especially with the weight savings, and only use my M and SL system occasionally.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, ymc226 said:

I only use my TL2 with the touch focus option, using the index finger to select the focus point on the screen.  When the  focus indicator turns green to signify focus lock, I then hold the camera more conventionally to maintain steadiness and release the shutter.  I also have the camera programmed to auto ISO with a max of 6400 and a minimum shutter speed that 1/125 given my age and my hands not being as steady as they once were.

I have used touch AF + release while walking backwards taking pictures of my daughter walking our dog on a sunny day using the native 23 Summicron and a high majority of the shots were in focus.  Overall, I am quite happy with the whole system, especially with the weight savings, and only use my M and SL system occasionally.  

I will try with your recommended setting ! ISO6400 looks so great. I decided to buy because of this. You use 23mm of Leica? I'm considering to buy it. Can you post some photo? Or give me a link that I can follow~

Thank you for your sharing.

I set my camera following every post and I think it is better than what I used before. Thank you everyone. I hope I can enjoy my camera more soon.

ps. I decided to buy sigma lens because it is quite affordable to try that fixed lens fit my style or not. I have never used fixed lens before. I bought it yesterday around usd 340 (secondhand). This is the photo I get comparing with 18-56 Leica kit. (above photo : sigma 30mm f1.4 below photo : Leica 18-56 f3.5-5.6). I will try to capture other things next time. 😃 

Edited by nuchun