2021. Camera to be close to M9 (sensor) by sharpness and saturation.

Ko.Fe.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have dual slide show at two screens. Every time image taken with M-E 220 (at low ISO) shows up it is distinguishable by sharpness and often by well saturated colors (without over contrast).

Saturation is matched by images from Canon 5D and 50L, but I let it go due to camera age and lens non durable construction. 

I'm not into editing, using some software to match M9 sensor. 

Anyone who was able to find camera with close to M9's sharpness and colors? I just like sharp SOOC files and well saturated colors without over-contrast .

Something with AF, maybe. APS-C, m43...

I guess, SOOC sharpness could be achieved by sensors without AA. Are M240 photos as sharp as M9 's? 

I'm looking for such camera because I'm not comfortable to use my M-E 220 as everyday everywhere camera. To precious, if you know what I mean.

Get second M-E 220?   

Well, none of these possible alternatives are “new” by any stretch of the imagination:

Fuji XT-1;

Pentax K200D;

Nikon D700; and

Fuji S5 Pro.

These are all I can think of. My situation is not the same but slightly similar to yours in that I’m wondering what the hell am I going to get once the M-E 220 eventually fails permanently and I need something similar or as close as possible to M9 rendering (assuming the CCD Leicas really are all eventually gone).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tough one.

I would reach for a Fujifilm camera and have a look at the the different “recipes”, you can then get the jpeg output (no edit) to a “film simulation”, with the luxury of doing minor adjustments on the camera… to suit your tastes. 

sources:

-Recipes: https://fujixweekly.com/recipes/

-article: https://alikgriffin.com/how-to-get-fujifilm-jpgs-looking-amazing/

• Thanks 1

I tried a Nikon Z7 and the color signature is very close to that of leica family and especially the M9 imho (except if you use M9 embedded profile). The lenses of course didn't perform as well and more sharpening is needed for some reason. Also to me big part of Leica is the lenses if that make sense.

Alternatively, go check out Cobalt profiles. They worked differently than average profiles makers, which is on my purchase list when time is good again, to go with my Nikon Z7 with native lenses.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2021 at 4:19 AM, Casey Jefferson said:

I tried a Nikon Z7 and the color signature is very close to that of leica family and especially the M9 imho (except if you use M9 embedded profile). The lenses of course didn't perform as well and more sharpening is needed for some reason. Also to me big part of Leica is the lenses if that make sense.

Alternatively, go check out Cobalt profiles. They worked differently than average profiles makers, which is on my purchase list when time is good again, to go with my Nikon Z7 with native lenses.

Dear @Ko.Fe.,

I was/am in the same boat. Eventually I somehow solved the problem by purchasing Cobalt Leica M9 DNG profile and use it witj my new (used) Leica M10 camera. 

@Casey Jefferson I also think lenses are the most important part leading to Leica look. I'm very curious regarding Nikon Z + Cobalt M9 DNG profiles. Please share with us results/insights.

@Ko.Fe.I achieved good results with Leica SL. I eventually exchanged it with my dear fried for his used M10. From my experience, Leica SL is a very interesting system for M lenses. IMHO the problem with Leica is not the size, but price of SL lenses. If I understand right, you want a second (less precious and small) body with similar rendering/look as M9? From my experience, impossible. The closest is Leica SL.

Heaven knows what you were doing with the Nikon Z lenses but even the 24-70mm kit lenses can give Leica a run for your money. The dedicated primes are exceptional. @Casey Jefferson the amount of sharpening needed between a 18mp file and a 47mp file is very different, and for @Ko.Fe. you can use your Leica lenses on the Z7 and also use them with the cameras IBIS.

An option to one of the Nikon L mount cameras I think would be an Olympus OM-D if you have an open mind about m43. 

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 3

Hi, Ko.Fe., I ever owned M9p and M240 at the same time for a very short period. My experience shows they are at the same level speaking of sharpness if using the same lens. In my opinion, sharpness should not be first worried about. 

The challenge is to find a color profile matching M9P/M-E. Nowadays the market has enough choices for bodies, if you find anyone can show similar color rendition, you can easily find an adaptor to attach Leica lens. 

6 hours ago, Cobram said:

Dear @Ko.Fe.,

I was/am in the same boat. Eventually I somehow solved the problem by purchasing Cobalt Leica M9 DNG profile and use it witj my new (used) Leica M10 camera. 

@Casey Jefferson I also think lenses are the most important part leading to Leica look. I'm very curious regarding Nikon Z + Cobalt M9 DNG profiles. Please share with us results/insights.

@Ko.Fe.I achieved good results with Leica SL. I eventually exchanged it with my dear fried for his used M10. From my experience, Leica SL is a very interesting system for M lenses. IMHO the problem with Leica is not the size, but price of SL lenses. If I understand right, you want a second (less precious and small) body with similar rendering/look as M9? From my experience, impossible. The closest is Leica SL.

285 USD for SL battery. It is insane.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

To hell with ‘sharpness’.  😂🤣😂

I held onto one of my old Nikon D200’s all these years because of it’s CCD sensor and the images I get from it with even older AI-S lenses.

Good old D200, I sold mine as soon I got D300 and later D700 (both CMOS), must admit those CCD 10Mp files produced by D200 have exceptional colour.  Cross my mind on more than one occasion buying it again but digital technology and nostalgia don’t really mix, maybe if it was full frame.

• Like 1

@Cobram I didn't purchase the profiles because it's a two step/packages purchase - one for universal calibrations across all camera models/manufacturer and then simulation profile applied. However the color signature is often close enough and often punchier in colors too.

@250swb Welp at such high resolution it really depends on the lens, which mine didn't quite match up with the resolutions.