Finally: Leica Q2 "007 Edition" camera!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, wilfredo said:

This sort of gimmick makes me feel embarrassed to say I shoot with a Leica.

funny comment...and i was just reading this on the linked blog >> "if you are an angry dogmatic evangelistic atheist looking to bash religion and ridicule believers, then this blog is not for you."

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

For the same reason we might care about what you might write, provided it's adding more than a rude comment to another forum member.

That's the thing about the internet - you get all opinions; even considered opinions you don't agree with.  Generally, the internet is more interesting when you listen to considered opinions which might be different from your own.  So, yes a lot of us do actually care.

The alternative is diving down a rabbit hole where you only listen to opinions which confirm your own.  That's the realm of earth 2.0, conspiracy theories and the use of hydroxychlorine, bleach and horse anti-parasitics for covid treatment.  Briefly amusing, but ultimately dangerous ...

As it happens I don't actually care what you think either. Goodbye.

I'm fairly new to the Leica Forums but not new to online forums in general and one of the first things I noticed about the Leica Forums is how so many threads devolve into a pissing contest where someone is offended by someone else and feels the need to insult them.

I don't know whether it's the international nature of this forum (where English might not be a first language and nuances of humor are lost on the intended recipient) or whether it's because Leica owners tend to be highly educated and have strong opinions, but I've never felt more unease reading through what's supposed to be a place of information sharing than I have on the Leica Forums.  It's actually quite sad when I compare my limited experience here with other forums I am active on.

Perhaps there needs to be more active moderation to ensure there's a higher signal to noise ratio in some threads.

45 minutes ago, Kreeshp said:

I'm fairly new to the Leica Forums but not new to online forums in general and one of the first things I noticed about the Leica Forums is how so many threads devolve into a pissing contest where someone is offended by someone else and feels the need to insult them.

I don't know whether it's the international nature of this forum (where English might not be a first language and nuances of humor are lost on the intended recipient) or whether it's because Leica owners tend to be highly educated and have strong opinions, but I've never felt more unease reading through what's supposed to be a place of information sharing than I have on the Leica Forums.  It's actually quite sad when I compare my limited experience here with other forums I am active on.

Perhaps there needs to be more active moderation to ensure there's a higher signal to noise ratio in some threads.

I have seen this degeneration happen occasionally on Leica Forums, but actually the vast majority of the threads, and the users either share and critique images, or point out solutions to Leica puzzles. There is a lot of trouble shooting and a great deal of teaching.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

I have seen this degeneration happen occasionally on Leica Forums, but actually the vast majority of the threads, and the users either share and critique images, or point out solutions to Leica puzzles. There is a lot of trouble shooting and a great deal of teaching.  

I agree that the majority of threads are benign but the negativity and spitefulness seems to infect a much higher proportion of threads than on other forums I read.   One needs to look no further than the posts above preceding mine to find examples of this. 

I frequent the M10, the M lens, and the Q/Q2 sub-forums and one doesn’t need to read very many posts to find plenty of rudeness, hostility, and a lack of civility. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kreeshp said:

I agree that the majority of threads are benign but the negativity and spitefulness seems to infect a much higher proportion of threads than on other forums I read.   One needs to look no further than the posts above preceding mine to find examples of this. 

I frequent the M10, the M lens, and the Q/Q2 sub-forums and one doesn’t need to read very many posts to find plenty of rudeness, hostility, and a lack of civility. 

This forum is generally a very friendly place, more so than many other social media platforms.  There is also a wealth of knowledge that you won't find anywhere else.

There will always be some who spoil it, but mostly they don't stick around.  Our friend @desparado is new, just 9 posts since joining the forum on September 17th, and he signed off his last post with "goodbye" so maybe we won't see him again.  Better still, he might stay, learn from the response of others and modify his contributions.  We can but hope.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, Kreeshp said:

One needs to look no further than the posts above preceding mine to find examples of this.

I have to conclude that you're including or referring to posts that I made, which is ironical because my and other posts were trying to point out in a civil way to a new member that this forum (through its Admin's stated wishes, rules and moderation) prefers that members treat each other with respect.  Telling another member that "Nobody actually cares whether 'you' like or approve a special edition at all ..." is discourteous, unnecessary runs against that.

As a long-standing member of the forum I have been encouraged by the forum's tone and respect over a long time, particularly in comparison with other photographic forums I frequent, although, as T25UFO poignantly mentions, there will always be those who behave differently and alter the tone fleetingly.

I must add that during the difficult recent times globally where the pandemic, climate change activism, the BLM movement, the #me too movement, the Taliban's regaining power in Afghanistan, the Evergreen-Suez Canal problem etc etc have risen in prominence I have seen little change in tone here compared to other forums.  As the availability of up to date news has increased exponentially, fanned and distorted by the spectrum of social media opinions and their capacity to drown out the facts, I am very grateful that this forum has remained largely immune owing, in part, to generally sensible moderation here.  You might have a different opinion and you are entirely within your rights to hold it and express it but I would urge you to look further and read a little more widely before judging.

Pete.

• Like 3

This camera pays homage to a series of films that are parodies of books by Ian Fleming.  The later films are, arguably, parodies of themselves. They are formulaic and unoriginal.

Why Leica wishes to be associated with this genre of film is hard to understand.

In any event, I would assume that most of the 007 cameras will be bought by collectors and be little-used.

4 minutes ago, T25UFO said:

And for the same price you could buy a M10R Black Paint plus a Noctilux lens 😃

nice one..so if more people think that, Leica will sell more M10R's ;);)

special editions for collectors probably cost them barely anything but help with more money for R&D etc etc

here is another special edition made out of existing materials, which will probably sell out  if and when its actually released!

https://www.hasselblad.com/v-system/907x-anniversary-edition-kit/

Edited by frame-it

2 hours ago, frame-it said:

here is another special edition made out of existing materials, which will probably sell out  if and when its actually released!

https://www.hasselblad.com/v-system/907x-anniversary-edition-kit/

Wow!  That looks good.  Looks like the lens is 30mm (24mm equivalent full frame).

I bought the normal 907x as a special present for my son's 40th birthday.  He's a better photographer than me!  I tried to buy the Moon Edition but it sold out.  I guess this new anniversary kit, with handgrip and finder, is going to be very expensive.  But I'd rather have this than a normal Q2 with James Bond written all over it.

Just noticed it's EUR 15,500 and ships 45 days 🙂

Edited by T25UFO
  • Like 1

Now this is a limited edition I can afford! …I’m a thorough  going Texan, anything with jalapeños I’ll pay extra. If Leica would engrave a jalapeño pepper on the top plate of an M I’ll put down money to have one.😊

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

6 hours ago, Viv said:

Why Leica wishes to be associated with this genre of film is hard to understand.

They are quite popular.  The 26 released Bond films (#27 coming out in a week or so) have earned over $7B dollars.  I can understand a company wanting to associate with that kind of popularity.

• Like 4

I went to see the film last night, wondered if there'd be a scene with Bond using a Leica Q, but unless I blinked and missed it, no camera to be seen, which is odd for a 'product placement' type deal.

Land Rover obviously supplied a number of vehicles - bizarrely they were mostly run off the road by Bond driving an old Toyota Landcruiser. Not sure what message Land Rover thought they'd be sending out to potential customers!

As for the film, I'd give it a generous 3 out of 5. It was too long, with some unecessary scenes, and some that just didn't seem to make sense. But a typical Bond film and great to see the old Aston Martin back in action!