Finally: Leica Q2 "007 Edition" camera!

I have the same reaction as when I saw the 007 Limited Edition Range Rover that's been released.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the Bond films and fondly remember getting the ejector seat Aston Martin and diving Lotus Corgi model cars, but they were firmly aimed at kids which is quite fair and reasonable.

I can't quite imaging driving around in a 007 branded limited edition car - I would feel quite silly. Same with the camera. But I guess there are some people who will buy them both (who don't care about looking like a man-child or being the butt of their mates jokes).

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If my math is correct, the total incremental income on this for Leica is around $600,000. That’s hardly enough to cover the marketing cost. I suspect over 50 have been allocated as gifts to people involved with the movie, with the expense covered by the other 200.
Until reading these posts, I overlooked the dark green leather color which is very nice.

I wish I were involved with the movie so I could be gifted one. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, LeicaS2 said:

If my math is correct, the total incremental income on this for Leica is around $600,000. That’s hardly enough to cover the marketing cost. 

Actually, the full retail take would be just under $2 million. I don't know what share goes to Leica, but it's probably around 60  - 70 percent of that.

3 hours ago, andybarton said:

It's just insane, but I am sure that all of them either will be or already have been sold.

I still do not really understand what this market is.

As a collector's item, any digital camera will eventually die as batteries and components age and fail even without use. It does not seem like a good long term investment. And as a photographic tool, I want a completely anonymous plain camera, not something branded with a film franchise that has little to nothing to connect it to photography.

Still, I guess that the bizarre intersection of people who are wealthy-enough, photography-nuts and James Bond fanatics is probably enough to sell 250 cameras.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark II said:

I still do not really understand what this market is.

It's for people who want to own one. They won't be used - what's the point? If you want to use a Q2, why pay such a premium?

They are for people who buy watches or bottles of scotch and who never have any intention of  taking them out of the box. There are people who buy Leica cameras and never even take the grey card slip off the box. There are collectors of factory sealed boxes that might or might not contain what is written on the box.

Schrodinger's cameras. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, earleygallery said:

I have the same reaction as when I saw the 007 Limited Edition Range Rover that's been released.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the Bond films and fondly remember getting the ejector seat Aston Martin and diving Lotus Corgi model cars, but they were firmly aimed at kids which is quite fair and reasonable.

I can't quite imaging driving around in a 007 branded limited edition car - I would feel quite silly. Same with the camera. But I guess there are some people who will buy them both (who don't care about looking like a man-child or being the butt of their mates jokes).

I'm not sure about kids - the villain which could be shot out of the roof of the 60s Aston was probably the most losable toy ever.

Stefan

11 minutes ago, StS said:

I'm not sure about kids - the villain which could be shot out of the roof of the 60s Aston was probably the most losable toy ever.

Stefan

I had an original Batmobile toy when I was a kid. It had little orange plastic projectiles that came out of exhausts on the roof somehow. 

Within a week, we had to shoot matches out. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, andybarton said:

I had an original Batmobile toy when I was a kid. It had little orange plastic projectiles that came out of exhausts on the roof somehow. 

Within a week, we had to shoot matches out. 

I remember a few tearful forays into the bag of my mother's pink "Constellation" Hoover (the floating spherical one in the Design Museum) trying in vain to retrieve small projectiles from Dinky toys - or wheels/bits of Lego.

I think everything of mine was reduced to shooting either Swan Vestas or a small rectangle of Lego (the Aston "bad-guy" in my house)...😂