Next wetzlar camera auction...

55 minutes ago, PG Black nickel said:

Bonjour à tous,
The online catalogue has just been released for the next Wetzlar camera auctions of our friends Lars and Jo. Some very nice rare pieces! Any opinion on this sale ?

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/212520_auction-3/?page=1

I have written a review article on a selection of items in the catalogue. It will go online in the next few weeks and I will post a link here. The item that really catches my imagination is the Rollei 35mm Stereo Prototype. It is like a TLR on its side with an extra taking lens. It is a really fascinating item that never went into full production.

William 

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much William!!

A lot of interesting items and not all of them at very high price. By the way, I still don't understand why they advertise an Standard serial 355.xxx simply as post war, and another one, also 355.xxx as Leitz New York.

It's also amazing to see the high prices that are reaching early FED's.

Best wishes,

Augusto

On 9/16/2021 at 12:57 PM, tranquilo67 said:

Thank you very much William!!

A lot of interesting items and not all of them at very high price. By the way, I still don't understand why they advertise an Standard serial 355.xxx simply as post war, and another one, also 355.xxx as Leitz New York.

It's also amazing to see the high prices that are reaching early FED's.

Best wishes,

Augusto

I think the New York designation begins with the SN, then there is the 'Germany' engraving , the box and the Wollensak Velostigmat lenses. Do you see anything about the other one that might require a different designation?

William 

18 hours ago, willeica said:

I think the New York designation begins with the SN, then there is the 'Germany' engraving , the box and the Wollensak Velostigmat lenses. Do you see anything about the other one that might require a different designation?

William 

I would say that both Standard are post-war samples and, as far as I know, I'd say that both are NY samples despite the sharkskin of the latest, but I suppose that they have checked the records. According to Laney "the hole in the body shell where the slow speed dial would normally have been was covered by a small disc secured by three screws or by a disc trimmed with the same vulcanite material as the camera body".

As you know, I have access to the 355273 post war sample that, despite having its Wollensak Velostigmat 50/3.5 serial 486465  (I have no documentation if it's the original lens to the camera but I'd bet it is) and it has no "GERMANY" engraved and has regular vulcanite in the slow speeds disc.

Of course one is with the NY lenses, box, the all chrome FIKUS and the IMARECT finder with 127, and the other one is with a period consistent Elmar.

Best wishes,

Augusto

Edited by tranquilo67

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here are two of mine, 355276 in front, 355050 in rear. One with 3 screw slow speed plate, one covered with vulcanite. No "Germany" engraved. Both with 50 wollensak lenses.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tranquilo67 said:

I would say that both Standard are post-war samples and, as far as I know, I'd say that both are NY samples despite the sharkskin of the latest, but I suppose that they have checked the records. According to Laney "the hole in the body shell where the slow speed dial would normally have been was covered by a small disc secured by three screws or by a disc trimmed with the same vulcanite material as the camera body".

As you know, I have access to the 355273 post war sample that, despite having its Wollensak Velostigmat 50/3.5 serial 486465  (I have no documentation if it's the original lens to the camera but I'd bet it is) and it has no "GERMANY" engraved and has regular vulcanite in the slow speeds disc.

Of course one is with the NY lenses, box, the all chrome FIKUS and the IMARECT finder with 127, and the other one is with a period consistent Elmar.

Best wishes,

Augusto

I’m sure that Lars would be happy to answer any questions, Augusto. He is usually most fastidious about details.  

William 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, willeica said:

I’m sure that Lars would be happy to answer any questions, Augusto. He is usually most fastidious about details.  

William 

I am serious about that, Augusto. I have had a lot of contacts and dealings with Lars and his eye for detail is not surpassed anywhere in the Leica World. If you do get in touch with him you can mention that you are a friend of mine. Jim Lager often asks me " What does Lars think?' when particularly rare items arise.

William 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, willeica said:

I am serious about that, Augusto. I have had a lot of contacts and dealings with Lars and his eye for detail is not surpassed anywhere in the Leica World. If you do get in touch with him you can mention that you are a friend of mine. Jim Lager often asks me " What does Lars think?' when particularly rare items arise.

William 

Hi William,

Sorry, I couldn't avoid the smile for the "fastidious" expression. I had never heard that but it's quite self explanatory (in Spanish "fastidioso").

I don't know if he will be in Wetzlar while I'll be there but if so, I'll try my best to meet and share with him my current project. I'm sure we have several friends in common.

Best wishes,

Augusto

Edited by tranquilo67

10 hours ago, tranquilo67 said:

Hi William,

Sorry, I couldn't avoid the smile for the "fastidious" expression. I had never heard that but it's quite self explanatory (in Spanish "fastidioso").

I don't know if he will be in Wetzlar while I'll be there but if so, I'll try my best to meet and share with him my current project. I'm sure we have several friends in common.

Best wishes,

Augusto

I'll be with Lars in Wetzlar next week. I will mention the issue and your interest in it.

William 

• Like 1